What are you listening to right now?

haha I had to get that when I came across it on Etsy. No regrets.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I listened to this 10 times today and it made me happy.

original on Tik Tok: TikTok - Make Your Day

1 Like

I’ve been on board for every song MGMT has released from their new album, but this one is a bit of a headscratcher for me. It really does capture that 80s/90s adult contemporary sound… A little TOO well in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel similarly. I do really like the production, and it has grown on me a bit on repeat listens, but it’s definitely my least favorite of the singles. I especially don’t like the chorus.
Great music video though lol.

1 Like

That was… horrible, and when compared to past works, this is not what I was expecting. I don’t like the chorus as well and couldn’t understand what the off-key guitar twang after it was all about. I’m all for experimentation but it was off to put it lightly.

I’ve always thought that they don’t have an idea or plan on where they want their music to go, and with the phenomenal success of their first album (which I assume caught them off guard and put some big expectations on them going forward), they have been trying to recapture the magic with small glimmers here and there; Little Dark Age was a step in the right direction.

I’ll hold out hope for the rest of the album and maybe a better single comes out, but this wasn’t it.

Edit:

Just listened to Mother Nature and it was okay, a bit better than Dancing in Babylon, and reminiscent of Air Supply and other well-known adult contemporary bands from decades ago, but there wasn’t much of a hook, and it was pretty boring. Not sure what is going on with the production of the album (from what I have heard so far), but gearing more towards softer/ slower songs just doesn’t work with whatever they are going for.

3 Likes

I don’t know what the stats are now, but when they did their Interzone Mantras tour (2001), their biggest fanbase outside of Canada was in Australia. Worked well for me because it meant they played smaller rural venues most international acts skip. I t was a bloody good night!

3 Likes

That’s cool, and I didn’t know that they were that popular in Australia. Also I love small venues and I love bands that play them. It’s usually such a great experience.

2 Likes

Was listening to Bowie’s Blackstar again and I just can’t get over that he knew he was gunna die, wrote an album about it, made music videos about it, died, and then the album and music videos came out. I can’t even put into words all my thoughts on this move.

6 Likes

The video for Lazarus in particular that you linked there gets me in the feels every time I watch it. He is my dad’s favorite artist so Bowie’s passing and the release of the album felt monumental for me at the time and pushed me to explore his music more than I had previously.

4 Likes

I find Blackstar to be very uncomfortable to revisit because of how dark the theme is and how it was released. It is an incredible record, and I think a testament to how Bowie lived his art late in life the same way he lived Ziggy Stardust or Station to Station earlier in his career. He might be my favorite musical artist of all time.

2 Likes

It’s grown on me slightly as well because of the production, but now that I’ve heard the entire record, it’s probably still the worst song on it.

It took several listens for me to digest Loss of Life. I was definitely expecting a more understated record, and that’s what I got… It doesn’t quite have the sticky melodies of Little Dark Age, so it wasn’t a very immediate record. It’s a twisted pastiche of 80s alternative music in the same way Congratulations was a pastiche of 60s sunshine pop, or Little Dark Age of gothy synthpop. The first three singles are among the strongest tracks from it, though some of the deep cuts are good too. As a bassist, “People on the Streets” is a favorite, as well as “I Wish I Was Joking” which is probably the catchiest song on the record.

“Nothing Changes” feels like it should be the best song on the record, but I’m a bit mixed on the psych pop excursion that the song takes in its second half. For the most part, it’s a slow burn 90s indie rock inspired ballad, but the second half of the song feels like a completely different song and it kind of ruins the emotional momentum for me. “Phradie’s Song” is a sweet acoustic number, but it doesn’t quite stand out to me, except for the outtro–I would unironically listen to an entire album of ambient compositions like the last minute of this song. The title track is a wonderful and quiet bit that feels like a glitchy take on the Beach Boys’ Surf’s Up record. It’s a great track, but I’m not sure that it works well as a closer.

Great album overall in my opinion, I actually enjoy it slightly more than Little Dark Age, but probably slightly less than their first two records (Subject to change).

3 Likes

My favorite german folk metal band.

4 Likes

I thought it said ‘I fuck you’ for a minute, guess I misread the bar. The fast moving First person view did nothing to help that assumption.

2 Likes

This album kicks ass! After getting like 4 tracks in it’s an immediate add to my streaming library.

2 Likes

Equilibrium is great, I mean they are:

Born to be epic! :smiley:

I love that they don’t take themselves too seriously.

3 Likes

I like this one

3 Likes
4 Likes

YAS Squarepusher! One of my favs. Managed to randomly see him live in Columbus in like 2003.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Would love to see him live, or Aphex Twin. Aphex Twin came to Scandinavia last year and I wanted to see him but tickets were so damn expensive lol.

3 Likes