Super Sonic Way Past Cool Fan Club

I am really excited for this new sonic game!

So it’s a remaster of Generations with new content. Not bad per se as Generations is awesome, but I know the Sonic community will be up in arms about this not being an SA2 remake.

Wonder if it’ll be a full priced game?

2 Likes

This is a somewhat interesting clarification for those who have been around since Colours. While I personally never had any real issues with the games Warren Graff and Ken Pontac were involved in - with the exception of Forces - I pretty much figured this would be the case.

It sucks that self entitled “fans” gave these blokes such a hard time. Really not cool.

1 Like

Looks like Jim Carrey will be returning as Dr. Robotnik for the Sonic 3 movie after all.

As Agent Stone would say… “HE’S BAAAAAACK!”

2 Likes

I suppose that makes sense for continuity. Still one of my least favourite parts of the movies, and that’s not due to any specific dislike of Carrey. It just doesn’t quite work for me.

1 Like

I have not seen the sonic filsm but I can see your reasoning.

Personally I feel he’s wonderful in the role. He may not be exactly how I imagined Robotnik, but I can’t think of anyone else I’d like to see in the role.

3 Likes

That’s fair. To me it just feels like Ace Ventura as Robotnik, and I know Carey is capable of a lot more. I think they want him to channel that, so he has but I imagine he could have delivered a different performance that wouldn’t have leaned on his past performances.

1 Like

I’d say his performance as Robotnik is a lot more restraint than Ace. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

100%. It’s like very light Ace. A taste of Ace, lol.

2 Likes

Carey excels at playing over the top characters so the decision to cast him was smart. I can see why his take on the Dr was not everyone’s cup of tea though.

This has reminded me that Sonic 2 is out on Netflix.

2 Likes

@BMO , “Kotaku don’t hate Sonic or his fans,” you said. :joy:

1 Like

They fired all their decent writers. It’s mostly flame wars and clickbait now. All their writers with nuanced takes went elsewhere.

That said, article writers don’t write the article titles, the editors do. Did you read the article? It’s just a genuine discussion about the potential plot points, what fans are saying, and if they’ll actually depict the plot point in the film. The title is just a poor attempt at humour.

1 Like

No, I didn’t, I just saw the above screenshot and it made me laugh in the context of the conversation we had pre-Frontiers. Honestly, I don’t “listen” to any mainstream games media on Sonic anymore as it’s always full of snark and attitude. It might be confirming the echo chamber, but if I’m really curious about something, I’ll see what fans are saying…and then eventually make up my own opinions (which more often than not are different anyway).

But yeah, I shared it because I thought it was funny re: our previous discussions, not because I was really trying to make any kind of point.

1 Like

It is funny because previously I only saw the headline as well. I only checked the article out after you posted because I was now curious. There was one Kotaku writer that I really do think hated Sonic. He was the only guy GO Media didn’t fire, which says to me he fit their corporate goals, if you know what I mean. I wonder how often the snarky articles were written by him. One writer’s personal crusade, lol.

One of the Digital Foundry guys loves Sonic. His technical reviews of the games are great and I always seek them out when I want to know if it matters which platform I buy a Sonic game for.

3 Likes

Just finished reading the Scrapnik Island collection. It’s written by Daniel Barnes rather than Ian Flynn, but don’t let that out you off, it’s really great stuff. If you’re familiar with 80s action/sci-fi/horror films, particularly Aliens, there is clear inspiration from those and some fun nods, but nothing that takes it away from being a good Sonic story.

There are also shades of the Metal Virus arc in that Sonic’s dialogue and emotions are pushed just a tad further than I would have thought SEGA would have allowed.

It’s really well written, and I think Tails fans will get a kick out of one scene in particular. Despite being the Manliest of all Many Man, this did bring a tear to my eye at the end.

Highly recommend!

3 Likes

OMG it looks so good!

3 Likes

Some interesting info out of a recent investors’ questions to SEGA.

• A new Sonic mobile title is in the works, using “Rovio’s Beacon CRM system,” whatever that is (Rovio is the maker of Angry Birds, who SEGA purchased a while back.)

• SEGA admitted it was dumb to release Superstars at the same time as * Super Mario Bros. Wonder

• This next bit I found quite interesting (emphasis is mine):

Question: New titles in the Sonic series will be released in the next fiscal year. Will releasing them one after another damage the value of the IP?

Answer:The recently announced Sonic X Shadow Generations is scheduled for release to coincide with the release of the third Sonic film, which has been a hit, and is positioned as an important title in our transmedia strategy. We are developing a variety of genres within the series, and we believe that the key to our strategy is to continue to deliver the appeal of our IPs with the aim of expanding our IP portfolio.

So we might see Sonic in different genres. The obvious assumption here is it means mobile genres like forever runners or match-three games, etc. But could it also mean new racing games? Do I dare hope they’ll have another stab at a Sonic RPG?

1 Like

I would be happy if they put out a collection of Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. It would be nice to get those with a few tweaks and extras.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Fans have been asking for that for years and SEGA has only ever shown interest once; a re-make of the first Adventure title, which they promptly cancelled. I hope I’m proven wrong, but I doubt it.

2 Likes