Super Sonic Way Past Cool Fan Club

Hyperkin Reveals The Mega 95, A Handheld Device That Plays Sega Genesis Cartridges (thegamer.com)

giphy

Actually, I’d buy that for a bunch of dollars!

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure where it is amongst all my stuff between moving houses, but I own the Hyperkin Supaboy that works just like this thing. I thought it was kind of silly when I bought it, but it works surprisingly well. I just looked at my Amazon history, and I bought it back in 2012. I know it still worked a few months ago when I put it in a box.

1 Like

I forgot about the SupaBoy. this Mega 95 looks like it has a bigger screen which is appealing. Maybe a SupaBoy refresh is coming.

2 Likes

I wonder if this thing is worth anything. Mint in box!

1 Like

I sold most of my physical games years ago. I’m more than happy to stick with the Retroid and ROMs but this would be cool for folks with big physical libraries

2 Likes

I have a question guys. If sega was still making consoles to this day what do you think the console would be like?

1 Like

I have a stack of genesis and snes games, and I’m about ready to get rid of them all. Like you said, I’ve got roms and I’ve got several ways to play them. I’d probably keep a couple of my favorites, but I’m just ready to get rid of everything. Im also happy that they’re still making stuff like this too.

3 Likes

Historically, SEGA’s consoles always pushed the boundaries a bit; the Master System was the first to have 3D technology (as in depth-of-field 3D, not polygonal), the Mega Drive was the first major console to have CD and the first true 32-bit machine with the 32X.

Saturn was the first to…well maybe ignore that one, but Dreamcast was the first out-of-the-box online system, arguably the first truly expandable console; seriously the things they could make it do were pretty amazing.

So my guess is that they would have followed that pattern; pushing the technology forward in some way. Not sure if they would go the PlayStation VR route or the Xbox “Netflix for games” direction. They kind of did the latter during the MD days, so maybe that.

However, many of SEGA’s innovations also came before the world was really ready for them, so maybe their console would already be diskless of completely streaming? Maybe they’d just have satalites to beam games directly into our heads.

1 Like

That would have been awsome!

Just FYI for anyone looking to play Sonic Adventure DX, Steam’s Better SADX is now considered out of date. The best option to get the game running as it should is to use SA Mod Manager. I’ve not used it myself, but this is what the vast majority of fans are recommending.

4 Likes

thanks for the update.

So Sonic Prime, Season 3. What are people’s thoughts? For the most part I enjoyed it. Although the “friendship wins in the end” ending was expected, I was still a little disapointed in it. There really was no repurcassion for any of the characters destryoing the multiverse, apart from Sonic really and then only briefly because SEGA has a mandate that Sonic can not be shown to be “wrong” too much.

What I was really hoping for, given the show’s title, didn’t end up happening. Probably waaaay to much to expect to happen outside of SEGA-only piece of Sonic media, but I was half expecting that at the end we’d get a Crisis on Infinite Earths type deal and all the broken realities would merege together to create one new reality in which all disparate parts of Sonic lore - Classic, Modern, Boom, Prime, movie, animated series, Archie, IDW, etc - would merge together to finalyl create some coheasive canon. Oh well, one can dream.

2 Likes

If anyone has paramount plus I recommend watching the documentary Console Wars. It is very insightful and tells the story of the Genesis really well.

1 Like

In reference to the discussion earlier about SEGA’S consoles and their innovations in the market far before anyone else, I’d like to chime in a bit.

Joey, you said that they mmight not have gone the route of the “Netflix for games” direction - and I’m assuming you’re specifically referencing Game Pass - and I have to say that they did do that, looooong before they released systems like the Dreamcast, which was THE “online console”. Here’s the Wikipedia description:

Sega Channel is a discontinued service developed by Sega for the Sega Genesis, serving as a content delivery system. Launched on December 14, 1994, the Sega Channel was provided to the public by TCI and Time Warner Cable through cable television services by way of coaxial cable. It was a pay to play service, through which customers could access Genesis games online, play game demos, and get cheat codes. Lasting until July 31, 1998, the Sega Channel operated three years after the release of Sega’s next generation console, the Sega Saturn. Though criticized for its poorly timed launch and high subscription fee, the Sega Channel has been praised for its innovations in downloadable content and impact on online game services.

And I have experience with this personally because growing up, my neighbor was a teenager named Josh who was a musician, and he had SEGA Channel and so I would often go over to his house and play stuff on it that we didn’t own at my home. It was really a marvel, especially for its time. So would they go that route if they were around today? Likely. They already did before. But who knows. I know you said “they kind of did the latter during the MD days” and so you’re already aware of it, but I just wanted to give more information for anyone interested cause I’m a loser and it’s what I do lol

But yeah the Dreamcast was so ahead of its time, being online connected the way it was, and using a microphone like with games like Seaman. SEGA was really an innovator, and it’s wild that they started as a Pinball, Jukebox and Slot Machine manufacturer of all things.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was referencing SEGA Channel with that line. Really cool you got to experience it was it hardly reached anywhere apart from small parts of NA. Certainly didn’t make it to Australia.

Given the period of their origins I think it makes sense they began with pinball. It was the big thing in the 1940s. They evolved to jukeboxes as you say, and then to electromagnetic machines with Periscope, and then to actual video games, so I think you can track their evolution pretty well.

What amazes me is thier constant perching on the bleeding edge; they often tested (and, sadly, failed) so much tech before others swooped in and used what SEGA had learned for themselves.

2 Likes

11 (Yes, Eleven) prototype builds and design documents for cancelled Vectorman PS2 sequel found and preserved

2 Likes

Great article and thanks for sharing

1 Like

Just going to randomly post here:

Extremely proud of myself for finishing Trip’s Story and Last Story in Sonic Superstars. Did not expect those last two bosses to be so difficult, hooooooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Not sure when the last time was a 2D platformer pushed me to the brink like this.

4 Likes
6 Likes

This looks AWESOME. Generations is one of my favorite Sonic titles, and the added bonus of the Shadow stuff, specifically the stuff from SA2, is just chefs kiss. Cannot wait.

3 Likes