Projects

Its better to ask forgiveness than permission :relieved:
Lol. I meanā€¦usually. wifey usually wins when it comes to these type of things.

It looks great honestly. I only noticed the drawer clearence after you mentioned it, though im better at spotting this type of thing up close.

3 Likes

Whooo fun project. Weve done plenty of those for work.

2 Likes

Awww shucks. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So I have a little bit of a crazy home setup. I have a cabinet saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, dust collector, track saw, drills, etc. All that said, you donā€™t need most of it to make some cabinets. You could do it with a drill, circular saw, maybe a cheap pocket hole jig, and some way to sand stuff. It would just take time and patience. I donā€™t know if I have a good YouTube recommendation for building cabinets with minimal tools. I really liked MWA Woodworks and Bourbon Mothā€™s cabinet building series. They both go over the basics of building cabinet carcasses and face frames pretty well. Steve Ramsey is the best beginner woodworking channel, but I donā€™t know if he does much in the way of cabinets. He has a whole thing on building out a workshop for under $1000, but I still think itā€™s a lot of money.

You could probably get pretty far using IKEA cabinets honestly. If you have a very specific sized space that you want to fill a certain way, youā€™ll probably have a hard time using off the shelf stuff, but itā€™s definitely the way easier and probably cheaper option.

I guess I should have asked in the first place, what kind of tool setup do you have?

6 Likes

My guy, ive seen professional shops with worse set ups lol, heck probably worked at a couple.

Im pretty good at minimal tools and improvised plans if one needs help, though i still dont know that id call myself a professional. Does 8 years experience count?

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to need to see your YouTube channel to know if youā€™re a professional sir :slight_smile:

Iā€™m kind of curious, what do you think are the bare minimum tools needed to build just a bog standard cabinet? I feel like it could be done with just a circular saw, a good long straight edge, a drill, and some edge banding. Iā€™m probably not thinking of something though.

1 Like

Depends on materials I think as well.

If youre using raw wood you probably wouldnt even need edgebanding. I mean if you wanna get real specific you could use a hand saw, some sandpaper and a drill and knock out a basic box pretty easily I bet. But for modern convenience bare minimum i think youre about spot on. Circular saw, Drill, and a steady hand. Measure 6 times, cut once. Add in a table saw and you can do some fancier stuff like inset backs, or miter joints. Maybe even dovetail joints if you plan it out. The info is out there for anyone, and its kinda becoming a bit of a lost art, at least building the old school way. You could even probably do Dowels if you want a clean surface with no nails or screws. Ive done those with just a drill and measure tape before.

2 Likes

Looks amazing. Iā€™ve always been very envious of people who can do such amazing things with wood. I never did woodwork at school and kind of regret it now (although it did tend to be the class all dropkicks were put into) as Iā€™d love to be able to so stuff like this.

1 Like

So I had an email back from a (very) small Aussie comics publisher on a pitch I made for a story which would have been adaptations of Lovecraft stories with the character they publish. They said they loved the idea but, unfortunately, their funds for commissioning original stories has all but dried up.

Iā€™ve had a long relationship with these guys so I donā€™t feel this was just an easy palm off. They said theyā€™ll let me know if the situation changes so I think Iā€™ll write up the scripts just in case.

Either way, itā€™s nice to know they liked the idea.

7 Likes

Picked this thing up today for 15 bucks, start of a new project. Second picture is semi inspiration though maybe not as fancy.

6 Likes

That takes stylish dog house to a new level.

2 Likes

Pulled the drawers, stripped out the hardware and got rid of the interior face frame. Next step is to add panels to the interior sides and top to make everything flush. Then paint/stain. Not sure the colors yet. Going to have to look into potty proofing wood just in case of accidents.

Edit: I think the plan is to seal with hardwood sealant, then going to use vinyl or laminate peel and stick for the bottom. After thats layed then ill do the side panels so they cover the laminate edges.

6 Likes

Iā€™m just over halfway through editing the book and man, itā€™s really tough having to cut stuff. I have to stay within a pretty strict word count and I could honestly double it with all the cool stuff there is to cover.

Sadly, I think of of the weirder stuff like Tera Drive and Pico might end on the cutting room floor which really sucks as I find those weirder things some of the most interesting.

5 Likes

Whatever you cut, save somewhere though. You might be able to do an extended version or updated if it sells well enough. Or make a second one. I mean im planning on buying at least 5 lol

4 Likes

Do you have someone else to read it (or at least skim it) for you? A big issue when writing is falling in love with your own content, thinking that everything is equally engaging. A second opinion is sometimes very eye-opening for that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Of course. My wife, who is an editor by profession, is reading through it, as well as a few other people.

4 Likes

I was wondering if anyone in this forum has any crt tv projects?

1 Like

Dresser project update:

In the gathering materials stage currently. I couldnt find any laminate that suited my needs for the bottom floor, so instead i picked up some 3 inch by 6 inch by 1/2 inch tiles from a local thrift for like 3 bucks. I havent tiled anything for a long while but it should work out pretty nicely.

From work i was able to secure some scrap walnut, about 5/8th thick, to turn into wall panels for the sides, and a piece of veener to do the back with potentially. Ill probably glue them togather into one piece so i can just slap em in easy.

Also picked up some wood restore for the actual body of the cabinet. I decided i didnt want to paint this one, already doing enough other work. Its going to probably be a test of sorts anyway, for a better built future one.

4 Likes

Hey folks! Iā€™ve been away for a bit but Iā€™m back! Iā€™ve been working on some video game projects (e.g. soldered a new battery holder and rechargeable battery for my modded dreamcast).

Iā€™ve been gaming nearly everyday but usually enjoy the great outdoors when itā€™s sunny. My wife and I took the dog camping a couple times this year, gardening (bonsai stuff, propagating, and buying more plants than I need!)

In terms of other projects I repaired a food dehydrator, shop vac, wifi camera we use to watch birds (because weā€™re dorks), and mixing and matching lamps with lamp shades and customizing with different colored glass shades I find at thrift stores or on the side of the road.

Keep those projects going! I love seeing the woodworking yall do and writing projects.

6 Likes

Iā€™m starting a new, quite random project: a youtube channel. I have, at the very least, the overall idea of what I want it to be, the main topic to be covered, the name, and a mic. Do I have the editing skills? Obviously not. I donā€™t have the graphic skills for branding either, but those are issues to be tackled in the future.

6 Likes

Good luck! I worked as a video editor for a few years, thankfully thereā€™s plenty of resources online to learn whatever software you choose to go with. Branding can be hard, but you can find artists to work with online if you have the ability to pay someone else to make visual assets for you. The hard thing is coming up with a good channel idea. Iā€™ve thought about starting a YT channel for years, but never pursued it because Iā€™ve never had a good original idea for a channel.

3 Likes