Projects

I bought GuliKit Hall effect sticks and I find them less accurate/sensitive, unfortunately. They just feel off compared to the original sticks. I did buy standard replacement sticks from iFixit and they seem to be going strong, if that helps.

2 Likes

The project that has consumed most of my last 4 or 5 years. Today I finally had a v0 draft of this to print and start editing in physical form.

(Sorry for the horrible attempt at not doxxing myself).

10 Likes

Big milestone. Congrats!

1 Like

Thanks! The next 10 days will be frantic work to make it more presentable.

6 Likes

Bloody hell! Is that what a thesis looks like? I just finished writing the first draft of a book and itā€™s not ever a quarter of that size!

Congrats man, thatā€™s awesome!!!

2 Likes

I started a Substack in a further attempt to continue/ get off the ground this writing thing. Not much there yet, however.

Iā€™m toying with the idea of posting links to new stuff on the main page similar to how @corpseprincess does, but her stuff is actually good so I donā€™t know. :sweat_smile: Thoughts?

3 Likes

Looked at your substack really good pictures!

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™s stupidly tricky though because we have to assume our readers (examiners, mainly professors if anyone actually goes to read it) might be quite old and with poor vision, so a large font size and double spacing takes quite a bit of space. Then you add the 25+ pages of only references and, in my case due to the discipline Iā€™m in, the tons and tons of images that I have to put to justify I actually worked. In terms of words (pure words written by me, taking out references and all of that), itā€™s not actually that long, say, 45-50k?

3 Likes

Prefacing this with ā€œthis is not my projectā€, but this is very cool:

3 Likes

This is also super neat:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a music guy, I completed my most recent project last year, an album of songs. With the exception of trumpet, I performed all of the instruments on it, including guitar, drums, cello and vocals. I also taught myself Logic Pro over the course of a few years in order to record and mix it. As a result of all that itā€™s a little amateurish in some respects, but Iā€™m still proud of it because I controlled the whole process. I stepped away from music for a little directly after making it because finishing it was a bit of an emotionally taxing affair, but lately Iā€™ve been thinking about starting another project.

8 Likes

I like the guitar tone on This Canā€™t Be Right. Your voice gives it sort of a Flaming Lips sound, which I also like. Keep making music.

2 Likes

Thanks. Due to being sick and then on holiday Iā€™ve not done much with it, but hoping to get into it more once I get back from my trip.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah the Flaming Lips are a huge influence for me. I would say thatā€™s not even the only reference to them in there haha.

1 Like

Anyone here into mode railroading projects because I was thinking about getting into n gage.

1 Like

Aw requested by @Nelemania, hereā€™s a link to an illustrated Riven journal I made in art school about 20 years ago. :grinning:

4 Likes

I made some more cabinets. They mostly came out the way I was expecting. I of course can see every flaw, but I think they came out fine. We canā€™t decide what kind of pulls to use yet. If anyone has suggestions, Iā€™m open. We were thinking edge pulls in silver so far.

11 Likes

I see ALL THE FLAWS!! No just kidding, looks good. Dont do silver pulls, they dont look as nice on wood usually (in my opinion at least). Black, or like antiqued copper/brass usually look pretty nice.

What kind of wood did you use?

3 Likes

I agree with you, but my wife does not. I will continue to make the same argument.

The shaker rails and stiles are ash with quarter inch birch plywood for the panel. I stained it all a honey oak from minnwax because it kind of goes with the rest of the house. The top is some butcher block I got from Loweā€™s and cut down to size because I didnā€™t feel like making a top.

Haha. Can you tell I forgot to account for clearing the doorframe with the drawers on the far left cabinet? I ended up shaving off about 3/8" on the left side. I figured no one would notice but me really. I had some decently detailed plans drawn, but I changed my mind from inset drawers to overlay and didnā€™t think about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks flawless like you :blush:

Whatā€™s your build set up? I feel very comfortable in the IKEA realm but Iā€™m looking to do some built-in floor to ceiling cabinets/bookshelves in my living room which means I need to do some real woodwork

4 Likes