Projects

I might be going down a rabbit hole…

My Dreamcast has disc drive issues, bought a working disc drive, I somehow messed up the install and now I have two non working disc drives.

So Im done with disc drives. Enter the GDEMU mod! Basically load roms off an SD card and say eff you to discs (sucks because I just spent money on games).

Here are some pictures of stuff I’ll probably buy, but I shouldn’t, but I want to.

3 Likes

While i support the SD mod, I wont lie im not a fan of that case. It reminds me of the Death Stranding ps4, which had a great console but an awful controller in nearly the same color.
But its not for me lol.

Hope you have better luck with this than the disc drives

1 Like

Thank you! It should go better than 20 year old disc drives lol

I’m a sucker for bright obnoxious colors!

Edit: I already bought the case

1 Like

I dont mind obnoxious colors, but thats not the onnoxious color for me lol. Id do like an orange or purple translucent myself probably

1 Like

I guess you’re not a fan of piss yellow

1 Like

It looks like a giant Halls lozenge.

2 Likes

Lol I know its terrible I love it!

My childhood bedroom was yellow, it was bad but I loved it! I must be subconsciously trying to relive my childhood

1 Like

Oh jeeze, i tottally see it.

2 Likes

Yellow is supposedly an ideal colour to paint a child’s room for positive developmental reasons.

I kind of like the translucent yellow Dreamcast.

2 Likes

I may or may not have developed positively but my childhood was rad!

Glad the yellow is growing on you! The mod kit doubled in price over the last couple years unfortunately. I watched some videos from 2-3 years ago where people were buying them for $50 instead of $100 now…

2 Likes

Ha, I was trying to write a snarky remark on “yeah, everything has doubled in price these last three years” but then I realised that’s not actually true. My MTG cards, for instance, have actually plummeted in price since pandemic “left” and, while games are becoming more expensive, I feel (insert citation) that the increase in price has been less than inflation. Basic needs have definitely become more expensive but it’s interesting also that luxury/leisure/hobbies do not follow that patterns necessarily and it intrigues me now why a modding kit for an old console became twice as expensive as it was not long ago.

3 Likes

So I bought a laser earlier this year and finally got it setup this week. I’m doing very important things with it obviously.

7 Likes

Yeah I definitely relate with MTG prices. My collection is tanking and even the supposedly safe RL cards were reprinted in Magic 30 (I’m talking about CE and ICE moxes, dual lands, and random other power). A couple years ago I was like sweet I’ll get a CE mox ruby. Now it’s half the price I paid.

I can see affordable MTG as a good and bad thing. Good because staples are being reprinted so players can get them cheaper. Bad because a lot of people collect MTG for the value and it sucks dumping thousands of dollars into collectibles only for the value to nose dive.

Retro video games are through the roof now so I don’t understand that. And this stupid ass mod kit that I keep thinking about and want to buy is twice the price it should be. I don’t get it.

It’s kind of a money pit at this time (my Dreamcast project). I put $300 into it and now I have two non working disc drives, a console that won’t play games, a case that hasn’t arrived yet, and games I can’t play. There’s still some value if I were to sell but I just wanted a damn Dreamcast that works and plays the games I spent too much money on.

On the bright side, I have money to spend on entertainment which is a better position than a lot of people.

1 Like

Haha awesome! I like it!!

2 Likes

First artwork I’ve done in a while, still a wip. I don’t feel I’m particularly good, but I enjoy doing it. Can you guess which game it’s based on? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Im getting a few…but my gut reaction is like Deus Ex

5 Likes

Spot on!

Our of interest, what were the others?

2 Likes

Duke Nukem, Freedom Fighters on ps2, the guy gave me a little bit of Punisher, and the bottom one made me think Galactus. Also possibbly Saints Row johnny gat

3 Likes

I’m going to mod everything on my Dreamcast. It’s too addictive and once I start with one mod I gotta do them all!

Next purchase:

Power supply mod!

I took all the insides out of my Dreamcast in preparation for the new Halls Lozenge case. I have a battery mod kit being delivered today and in a few weeks I’ll get the GDEMU to run games off an SD card.

More often than not I’ll do all these mods then have it sit on a shelf for months until I watch a video about Crazy Taxi or some other awesome game and I’ll play it.

For me, and some of my friends agree, it’s more enjoyable at times to tinker and build things than actually use them. I just hope I don’t need to solder much! Heat shrink tubes save all my terrible solder work.

7 Likes

@JoeyPajamas very nice artwork!

1 Like