Projects

It’s funny you say that because I relocated my Series X to make room for this, and now I’m questioning whether I’m going to continue to make much use of it. Thank god it has an optical drive, and that I can play old games, because that’s probably preventing me from selling it.

1 Like

Congratulations! looks amazing, and well done on the cable management. first time I had to deal with those was a mess.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Xbox Windows adapter? I bought one so that I can connect my Xbox headset, but the connection is quite choppy. Both the computer and my Xbox are behind my TV and I’ve never experienced interference when using it with the Xbox, but the connection is terrible to the PC. I connected the adapter to a USB extension, the same one I use for my Steel Series, thinking that running the adapter out in front of my TV would resolve the interference. However it doesn’t. Doing the same with my SteelSeries headset works, without the choppiness, so I know it’s not the PC, and I know it’s not the cable. And since the Xbox headset woks with the Xbox without issue, I know it’s not the headset. That leaves the adapter. The question is whether it’s actually defective, or if the adapter itself is just generally a poor product.

Update: whether the adapter is defective, or is just not a great solution, I returned it. I’ll stick with my SteelSeries Arctis 7p. It would have been nice to benefit from the features of the Xbox headset, but the connection just wasn’t solid enough no matter what I did.

Lol my PC is a giant, heavy, glass space ship with Christmas lights! It’s pretty ridiculous but I love it.

4 Likes

You’ll be my first customer! The big thing is “if” I put one out. Could be a cool winter project.

I know a good printing company that could probably do the whole project for a reasonable price. I’d prefer to work in person with a company rather than online.

1 Like

Definitely an affordable build and great parts! I traded a steam deck for mine plus some cash. Worth about $700 in parts.

Also the case design and cable management of yours is fantastic!

1 Like

Is that a full size, or mid-ATX case? I initially bought the ASUS AP201 Micro ATX case, but even that turned out to be too big for me, lol. I returned it and bought the Terra:

4 Likes

You traded your Steam Deck in? Definitely a frugal decision, but I don’t know if I could have done that. I am obsessed with how easily you can transition from PC to Steam Deck. I’ve been playing BG3 on my living room TV via my PC, and then playing it on the go via Steam Deck. I don’t think I could give that up. And because my PC does much heavier lifting, I now don’t need to be too concerned about Steam Deck hardware revisions, at least not for a few years.

It’s pretty damn big! Corsair Crystal Series 570x

What is the printer’s process? Do they produce giclée prints from your original?

Yeah I did and I semi regret it. I was using it as a desktop, put Windows 10 on it and didn’t game on the go with it. Windows was terrible on it, the battery drained fast even when plugged in and had a host of driver issues.

When I tested out all functionality before I traded it, the handheld gaming aspect was a lot of fun. I basically wanted a gaming PC.

Now that I have one I keep checking Steam for refurbished decks in the $320 ball park.

2 Likes

I believe that’s the process. I would let them borrow my sketchbooks to scan originals and the pic resolution would be a lot better than what I could capture with my shitty camera (and I don’t have a scanner).

If they can make you high quality reference scans, that would be fantastic. But the cost is likely quite high, no? Giclée prints are not cheap.

1 Like

Well, they probably won’t be Giclée more like gray scale jpegs or whatever format they use pdf maybe? High res. I haven’t worked out the details or got a quote yet. Still need to actually draw the pages and have themes in mind.

I really like Steam OS and Proton, and I think it’s a superb solution for a handheld. I even considered building a Steam Machine, but decided I’d have more flexibility if the desktop was Windows based.

1 Like

Oh yeah for sure! Steam OS is great. Damn now I really want a Steam Deck again.

1 Like

I’m sorry, that was not my intention, lol :joy:

1 Like

Lol it’s all good! I’m always buying and selling stuff so I probably wait for my Christmas bonus and pick up a Steam Deck. They’ll probably have sales for Winter around that time too! Or I’ll get impulsive and buy one next month.

I gotta take a break from spending though. I bought a Disney Lorcana 1st edition booster box (new trading card game), Secret of Mana SNES CIB, and other nerd stuff.

Usually when I buy something I make room for it by selling something else. Or I trade nerd stuff for different nerd stuff.

My friend and I just did a trade, my Pokemon cards for his comics and artwork.

1 Like

They did just have a sale on Steam Decks, so at least there is now a precedent for that. I’m willing to bet it will be discounted for the Steam Holiday/Winter sale.

Although I sometimes give things away, I keep my consoles. Can’t give them away. The once time I did I regret, which was my Dreamcast. So now I just keep everything (Ok, I gave my Series X away too, but that’s because I bought a Series X and gave the S to my brother).

1 Like

I just bought a Dreamcast (it’s in the pic on top of my monster PC)!

Most things I sell or trade I eventually want them back therefore purchasing at a higher, lower, or same price. I’m always cycling my hobbies.

Well, gifting your brother a console is just an amazing things to do! I’m sure he liked it.

One of my good friends gave me tons of retro consoles and games so I usually hook him up with the stuff he likes (sports cards, random trading cards, or toys for his kids).

3 Likes