Halloween Gaming Challenge 2024

As seems to be tradition at this point, the Unofficial Official Grouvee Halloween Gaming Challenge is under new management…again. Ah the horrors of office clerical work…

If you’ like to check into previous Halloween Challenges, refer to the following links.

As new (Self Elected) Dr. Manager I’ve chosen to mix things up a bit and change the theme a tad. So Ghouls and Ghosts put your flippers, fangs and extra fingers together and dive with me into another year’s horrifying holiday!

Welcome to the MOVIE MONSTER MASH!

Much like previous year’s challenges we are aiming to play games that feature something from the theme, but this time we are going to take our inspirations from monsters from various movies. These don’t have to specifically be say Dracula for example, but instead can be any version of that creature, from any type of game. This can be in name, box art or game content itself as well, giving more options for completion. There is no real requirement however, so you may play as many or as few games as you’d like. Our time limit will run from Sept 1st until Nov 31st.

Movie’s are just for fun, if you wanna watch any of them, that’s cool too.

Catch this year’s biggest graveyard smash starring!!

Villainous Vampires
As Seen In - 1994’s Interview With a Vampire, 1987’s Lost Boys, or 1931’s Dracula
Man-Made Monstrosities
As Seen In - 1931’s Frankenstein, 2008’s Igor, or 2019’s Depraved
Mystical Mummies
As Seen In - 1932’s Boris Karlov’s The Mummy, 1997’s Under Wraps, or 2003’s Bubba Ho-Tep
Wild Werewolves
As Seen In - 1935’s Werewolf in London, 2014’s Wolf Cop, or 2014’s When Animals Dream
Psychotic Scientists
As Seen In - 1927’s Metropolis, 1985’s Re-Animator, or 2010’s Mega Mind
Rebellious Robots
As Seen In - 1984’s Terminator, 1982’s Blade Runner, or 2018’s UPGRADE
Shambling Undead
As Seen In - 1978’s Dawn of the Dead, 2003’s 28 Days Later, 2007’s Rec, or 2009’s Zombieland
Colossal Kaiju’s
As Seen In - 1968’s Destroy All Monsters, 1954’s Godzilla, or 2013’s Pacific Rim
Abhorrent Aliens
As Seen In - 1979’s Alien, 1982’s The Thing, or 1997’s Men In Black
Specters and Spirits
As Seen In - 1982’s Poltergeist, 1984’s Ghostbusters, or 2007’s Paranormal Activity
Deadly Beasts
As Seen In - 1975’s Jaws, 2006’s Black Sheep, Or 2023’s Cocaine Bear
Shocking Slashers
As Seen In - 1978’s Halloween, 1996’s Scream, or 2017’s Happy Death Day
Mind Shattering Monsters
As Seen In - 1963’s The Haunted Palace, 1997’s Event Horizon, or 2018’s Annihilation
Creepy Clowns
As Seen In - 1988’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space, 2014’s Clown, or 2016’s Terrifier
Deadly Dinosaurs
As Seen In - 1993’s Jurassic Park, 1969’s The Valley of Gwangi, or 2017’s VelociPastor
Icky Insects
As Seen In - 1954’s Them!!, 2002’s Eight Legged Freaks, or 2006’s Bug

Coming Soon to A Gaming System Near You!!

Have Fun Everybody!! and Happy Halloween!
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

4 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE # 1: Villainous Vampires

Castlevania: the Adventure

I was on a Castlevania kick back in the day, but this was actually my first time finishing this one ! My impression of it was, it’s not very good !

I always hear the sequel is much better, but I might just want to move on to the next category for now

3 Likes

Yessssss!! I love themed challenges. I was hoping this one would return. Thank you for keeping it alive, @Ureshi. :jack_o_lantern:

I’m going to use this as my master post once I get some gaming in.

3 Likes

Aaahhhh this looks insane! Thanks for kick-starting it back up again! Halloween is my favourite time of year and I always leave it to the last minute to do something to celebrate and end up missing it, appreciate you starting this nice and early:)

4 Likes

Yessss! Won’t have time to do much, but I’ll do what I can!

5 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #2: Man-made Monstrosities

Pokemon: Let’s Go Pikachu !

They dreamed of creating the world’s strongest Pokemon…and they succeeded !

I was thinking I’d have to grind up a bit to take on Mewtwo, and I was already getting a little tired of the game. Then I thought, hey…I can defeat it now by using Toxic !

3 Likes

Awesome. Looking forward to this.

2 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #3: MYSTICAL MUMMIES

The Mummy Demastered

– I’ve had this one on my shelf for a while, and finally got around to it ! Have never seen this particular Mummy movie. I like the trilogy with Evelyn & co.

– The gimmick is that, if you die, your guy comes back as a zombie you have to fight to get all your stuff back–apparently, this ruined the game for some people. I would just quit and restart if I came close to losing

– The enemies are really annoying; they’re hard to hit and take too many hits. Maybe not the best game for someone with anxiety ? Live and learn

– I wonder if Menat will come back for Street Fighter 6

4 Likes

This is going to be my master post. I’ll make subsequent posts with prompts I complete. I’m going to try to count separate games for each prompt…

• Villainous Vampires
  • Man-Made Monstrosities :white_check_mark: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII Rebirth)
  • Mystical Mummies :white_check_mark: Mummy Costumer (Hidden Cats in Spooky Town)
  • Wild Werewolves :white_check_mark: October (Top Shop)
  • Psychotic Scientists
  • Rebellious Robots
  • Shambling Undead
  • Colossal Kaiju’s
  • Abhorrent Aliens
  • Specters and Spirits
  • Deadly Beasts :white_check_mark: Lilly (the Monster Inside)
  • Shocking Slashers :white_check_mark: Pyramid Head (Silent Hill 2)
  • Mind Shattering Monsters :white_check_mark: Grey Child (Silent Hill)
  • Creepy Clowns
  • Deadly Dinosaurs
  • Icky Insects
4 Likes

My first prompt to complete is Man-Made Monstrosities!

While I haven’t completed the game yet, I am playing through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. The infamous villain Sephiroth checks this box pretty easily but there are many monsters and experiments in this title beyond him.

2 Likes

My second completed prompt is Deadly Beasts!

There are multiple beasts in the Monster Inside, an extremely short visual novel, but due to spoilers I will leave them unnamed. If you’re looking for a very easy prompt to complete, this title will only take about 10 minutes to finish.

2 Likes

I feel like if I wanted, Persona 3 Reload could fill everything, but I’ll let it check the “Deadly Beasts” box. This enemy is actually called the “Enslaved Beast.”

4 Likes

Watching Super Eyepatch Wolf play Darkest Dungeon 2 made me want to give it another go. And well…whaddaya know? Shambling Undead.

3 Likes

Im really digging the answers people are coming up with for Man Made Monsters. I was viewing it more in like a Frankenstein type way, but nobody has been wrong yet lol.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for someone to submit something like capitalism lmao.

3 Likes

I hadn’t really made the connection before, but one might say Mewtwo is a Frankenstein story

And Jurassic Park, too

3 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #4: WILD WEREWOLVES

Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest

You know, I suddenly remembered I’d used this one for last year’s list [I was trying to avoid repeats]

I’d been playing Castlevania 1 every night lately to kill time, and thought I should get more comfortable with 2. Last year was my first time beating it

2 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #5: PSYCHOTIC SCIENTISTS

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: the Arcade Game

Been playing this one since I was little. Wish that were me ! <3

…just kidding

3 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #6: REBELLIOUS ROBOTS

Mega Man

2 Likes

I was expecting this one to show up lol

2 Likes