Halloween Gaming Challenge 2024

My third completed prompt is Mind-Shattering Monsters!

There are many mind-shattering monsters in Silent Hill but the first ones Harry Mason encounters are the Grey Children. They can most often be found in the Midwich Elementary School.

2 Likes

My fourth completed prompt is Wild Werewolves!

I stumbled across this one while playing Top Shop, a digital board game that was Japan exclusive until its US release on PlayStation in 2001. After each player takes their turn, a monthly animated illustration appears that represents the next round of turns. October’s illustration features a werewolf!

2 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #7: SHAMBLING UNDEAD

Double Dragon Neon

I like Linda in Double Dragon; Linda and Poison [from Final Fight] are my crack ship

Or should I say CRACK WHIP

3 Likes

Wait this game has zombies?! Lol. I never got that far

2 Likes

You have to build yourself up with mix tapes. With a bit of grinding, you can become a lot stronger than the enemies. It’s a River City Ransom-type

Yep ! The jiang-shi, sort of a Chinese regional variant of zombies [as I understand]. They’re also in Shaman King and Super Mario Land

1 Like

Ive heard theyre a mix of vampire and zombie lore, but yeah, id say it counts

2 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #8: COLOSSAL KAIJU

New Super Mario Bros.

Not sure about this one…can a human be a kaiju?

Apparently it translates to “strange beast”…some humans can be beasts sometimes

2 Likes

Ive always felt it was a giant monster, but there are sentai shows like kamen rider or guyver that had large humans fighting monsters. So i dont see why it couldnt work

2 Likes

For the purposes of this challenge I’m going to point out that Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is technically a B monster movie, and thus a giant human classifies as a monster :wink:

But to go off topic because it was brought up, strictly speaking in terms of shows like Ultraman, Ultraman is decidedly not a kaiju. As for Guyver, I’m pretty sure the Guyver itself is a bio mechanical suit that just enhances the wearer, but I don’t think it alters size. The creatures In Guyver are generally humanoid size aliens (or a tiny bit bigger), and not kaiju.

4 Likes

Good call, i forgot that movie.

Yeah, im not super familiar with stuff like that. I just know some of them have had giant fight elements. Im fairly familiar with godzilla movies and lore but otherwise only have very general knowledge about the overall genre

3 Likes

I could’ve used the sequel[s], which feature Giant Bowser, but I was just more in the mood for the first one at the moment

2 Likes

3 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #9: ABHORRENT ALIENS

Contra

An NES classic, possibly, but I never really cared for this one too much. Should’ve used Super Mario Land

It reminds me of playing it at an old friend’s house when we were little

3 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #10: SPECTERS AND SPIRITS

Shaman King: Master of Spirits

This was one of my favorites back in the day; it’s about a guy who goes around sampling wine–

Just kidding ! It’s an adventure based on Shaman King, the greatest series of all time. Yoh goes around collecting ghosts, like in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Not really what he usually does, but it works

Last time, I did an All Ghosts run on hard mode–to impress babes, I suppose ! Just normal mode this time

3 Likes

My fifth completed prompt is Shocking Slashers!

The infamous Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 fits this prompt perfectly.

3 Likes

My sixth completed prompt is Mystical Mummies!

Hidden Cats in Spooky Town could complete all the prompts in one go but what fun is that. I decided to use this mummy man since they don’t appear often in games.

2 Likes

What exactly is meant by “Mind-shattering Monster”

2 Likes

Lovecraftian horror. Cthulu type monsters. So like…stuff that could drive someone insane. Games like Darkest Dungeon, Alone in the Dark, call of Cthulu, Amnesia series, etc all touch on this kind of thing.

2 Likes

GROUVEE HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE #11: DEADLY BEASTS

Street Fighter x Tekken

The first playable appearance of a certain character I like

1 Like

I immediately played through Shaman King again–an All Ghosts run on Hard mode this time !

[I had to look up the last few ghosts]

1 Like