Halloween Gaming Challenge 2022! šŸŽƒ

:jack_o_lantern::bat::skull: Halloween Gaming Challenge! :jack_o_lantern::bat::skull:

I follow closely a group on GoodReads called ā€œHorror Aficionadosā€. They are doing a really fun challenge this year in which people choose a number of books to read for Halloween in link with different categories related to Halloween. I want to do the same for video games!

For this first edition of the Halloween Gaming Challenge, to give everyone ample time, and to enjoy Halloween as long as possible, this yearā€™s challenge will run SEP. 1 through NOV. 30.

The challenge is to play horror games that meet at least one of the listed Halloween related subjects, either in title, theme or even game image cover. The 13 topics are:

Bat
Cat
Ghost/Haunting
Graveyard
Jack-oā€™-lantern/Pumpkin
Monster
Scarecrow
Killer/Murder
Tricks/Treats
Vampire
Werewolf
Witch
Zombie

You can choose to play games of any length, and if you want to do all of the categories maybe look for short games that you can finish between these dates! At the end I will make a 2022 Halloween Hall Of Fame with the players who completed all the categories, with each one the games they played!

I would be very happy to see what some of you guys want to play this Halloween! Have fun everyone and happy Halloween!

8 Likes

In my case, I will start with two games on two different categories:

Zombie - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Monster/Zombie - The Last Of Us: Part I

If I finish these two, Iā€™ll maybe add some more later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a great idea. Iā€™ve pinned your topic until 1 November so people have a chance to see this between now and Halloween. Iā€™m certainly down with doing this challenge.

6 Likes

I would love to do this challenge! I wonā€™t finish it for sure, but I can do as much as possible. I will probably play only one category, though! I have almost no spare timeā€¦ I may have issues finding games for some of the categoriesā€¦ Time to research!

3 Likes

Oh no! This just gives me a more concrete excuse to play, A Nightmare on Elm Street for the billionth time.

4 Likes

You should also check out Zombies Ate My Neighbors if you can, but that might be cheating as Iā€™m pretty sure it checks off every item on the list but it is just such a great game.

5 Likes

This is a fun idea, but I feel a little burnt-out of games lately

Though it reminds me, I had to replace my 3DS so I donā€™t have Super Mario Land 2 anymoreā€¦the Pumpkin Zone therein wouldā€™ve covered a lot of these

5 Likes

As of recent, I have played through the following:

I have encountered everything except (vampires, and werewolves) in my two contributions thus far.

Look forward to replaying and playing other titles in the next month 1/2.

3 Likes

Jokes on you, I never made it that far to see.

4 Likes

I started Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for ā€œBatā€ ! Iā€™venā€™t played that one in yearsā€¦but if I could handle it as a kid, it probably wonā€™t be too much of a problem

That one would probably cover most [all?] of these, but it might be more fun to find 13 different games

Oh, sudden thought: Jiang-si [hopping Chinese zombie] couldā€™ve been a good category !

Found in : Super Mario Land, Shaman King: Master of Spirits, Double Dragon Neon, Splatoon 2, Darkstalkers

2 Likes

I thought about it more, and figured jiang-si might be considered regional variants of zombiesā€¦[?]

Anyway, ā€œBatā€ is Mission Complete Various Insundry (Posts tagged Dawn of Sorrow)

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to edit my post here as I complete each category. I doubt Iā€™ll finish them all but participating in these challenges are always fun.

Bat - ?
Cat - Stray [COMPLETE]
Ghost/Haunting - Chasing Tails [COMPLETE]
Graveyard -
Pumpkin
Monster -
Scarecrow -
Killer/Murder - Higurashi Ch. 2 [COMPLETE]
Tricks/Treats -
Vampire - Mirror (jiangshi waifu)
Werewolf - Fable Anniversary (Balverine)
Witch -
Zombie -

6 Likes

5 categories down.

Bat: B.A.T.S.
Cat: Fran Bow
Ghost/ Haunting: Knock Knock
Graveyard: Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
Pumpkin: Pumpkin Eater

1 Like

I thought someone might do ā€œStrayā€ for Cat !

Iā€™m working on #8 today. Hereā€™s what I have so far, if anyone interested

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight! Then I can update my game list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finished the challenge because I am brave and clever and cute !

1. Bat: CASTLEVANIA: DAWN OF SORROW [DS]
  2. Cat: NICKELODEON ALL-STAR BRAWL [SWITCH]
  3. Ghost/Haunting: SHAMAN KING: LEGACY OF THE SPIRITS [GBA]
  4. Graveyard: DARKSTALKERS: THE NIGHT WARRIORS [SWITCH]
  5. Jack-oā€™-lantern/Pumpkin: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS [SWITCH]
  6. Monster: LIT [PC]
  7. Scarecrow: SHANTAE: RISKYā€™S REVENGE [SWITCH]
  8. Killer/Murder: PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY [SWITCH]
  9. Tricks/Treats: RIVER CITY GIRLS [SWITCH]
  10. Vampire: CASTLEVANIA [SWITCH]
  11. Werewolf: CASTLEVANIA: PORTRAIT OF RUIN [DS]
  12. Witch: LOONEY TUNES [GB]
  13. Zombie SHANTAE AND THE PIRATEā€™S CURSE [SWITCH]

Here they are with screenshots. Read 'em and weep, boys/girls/etc.! Various Insundry (Posts tagged GHC)

5 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Iā€™m prolly about half way but I plan on finishing the week before Halloween as I took that week off.

3 Likes

Little update :blush: finished TLOU: Part 1. Starting soon red dead redemption undead nightmare.

3 Likes

I hope this is decipherable. If I end up completing anymore between now and the 31st, I will provide an update but I feel that I have given this the old college try. I will say that I had a blast doing this and I think it would be a great idea to have other seasonal challenges.

Title Year Console/ Format Bat Cat Ghost/ Haunting Graveyard Jack-oā€™-lantern/ Pumpkin Monster Scarecrow Killer/ Murder Tricks/ Treats Vampire Werewolf Witch Zombie
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1989 NES X X X X X X
Bloodrayne 2002 PC X X X X X X
Bloodrayne 2 2004 PC X X X X
Halloween Forever 2016 PC X X X X X X X X X X X
Haunted House 1982 Atari 2600 X X
Magical Night Dreams: Cotton Boomerang 1998 Saturn X X X X X X
Midnight Manor 2020 PC X X X X
Security Booth 2022 PC X X
Splatterhouse 3 1993 Genesis X X X X
W.I.T.C.H. 2005 GBA X X X X
Werewolf: The Last Warrior 1990 NES X X X
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon 2001 GBA X X X X X X X X X X