Grouvee Food: Bites

Slice it, maybe warm it, maybe butter it. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I’ve heard you can dip it in a booze or French toast it.

I’ve only ever had the Hostess variation years ago which I did not enjoy. So I’m trying to do this one right

Stollen? I’m curious what type it is. Just dried fruit, or does it have marzipan?

I usually eat it paired with a drink. If I’m going with alcohol, I might have it with a brandy, or even a glass of port can be nice. If I’m going non-alcohol I enjoy stollen with tea.

1 Like

I believe stollen because the two other chefs who were also gifted fruitcake were talking about it and thought they said stone so stollen seems right. The chef did tell me there are nuts in it.

2 Likes

Thin slices, room temperature, with a cup of coffee, if this is Stollen, which it looks like. Then take a small bit and keep it in your mouth for a bit to get all the flavours. Definitely not something to eat in a hurry.

We always have one before Christmas, a Dresden Almond Stollen.

Edit: The history of the cake is also interesting, even the pope got involved to allow it to have butter in it:

2 Likes

I cant believe all of you keep accusing poor Georgy of being a thief…stolen fruitcake, so outside of the holiday spirit. Lol

Im not much help, ive never had fruitcake at all…

1 Like

I’ll find out today if the Pope was right or wrong

1 Like

Ate the stollen. It was lovely! Like I said, I’ve had bad fruitcake before, I didn’t know how good it can be. Had it with coffee. Next time I’ll do it with butter.

2 Likes

then you can do it with butter coffee

2 Likes

After that? Coffee butter.

2 Likes

So the pope was right then? Glad you liked it.

1 Like

Now that looks delicious.

1 Like

I made J. Kenji Lopez Alt’s crispy potatoes.

They weren’t as crispy as I’d like but I think this comes down to using too many potatoes. This made the Frico coating thinner and the potatoes were soft where they were touching on the roasting tray. An easy problem to solve for next time. They are really tasty!

5 Likes

I love potatoes lol. These look great

2 Likes

I served them with ketchup for the kids, but next time I’ll make a dipping sauce while the potatoes roast. The whole roasting time takes 35-40 minutes, so you got time to do something else. Maybe a spicy aioli?

2 Likes

While family was here i did plenty of cooking. corned beef and cabbage, bahn mi pork burgers with quick pickled vegitables, a failed attempt at japanese pancakes and donut breakfast sandwiches, but didnt get pictures of these.

On the other hand, i did get pictures of our cuban chicken bowls with mango salsa and fresh avacado.

And the creamy tomato spinach pasta with lamb meatballs, which came out spectacularly

Also we got these ridiculously good apple pie waffles and taiyaki at a couple different places during our adventures.

5 Likes

Spicy aioli could be good. I think a twist on a baked potato could be good as well. I tend to lean into my irish roots when it comes to potatoes but ive also heard recently of an asian inspired potato dish id like to try, but its a bit odd. That one theyre served like half cooked for texture? Which seems odd to me. Might modify it

1 Like

I got pizza from a gas station. Forgot to take a picture. It was food and I ate it in my car because I was working and hadn’t eaten for 6 hours.

Life of a visiting social worker.

Several hours of my day is spent finding a bathroom, eating supermarket sushi, refilling my water bottles, and airing out my clothes from clients cigarette smoke.

Oh yeah and if I bring food I usually eat it cold because I don’t have access to a microwave. Or I bring something in a thermos and spill it in my car because it has a narrow opening.

When I got home from work my wife made peanut butter cookies. Those were excellent!

5 Likes

You could try replacing the butter with olive oil for a tastier end product.

1 Like

On the potatoes? I know the whole goal is to get frico layer to stick to the potatoes. This is where cooking becomes a bit more magic than science to me because I don’t follow what is happening to make it stick, I just follow the recipe.

2 Likes