What are you listening to right now?

I was one of those people dancing to drum & bass in the mid 90s. One of the best nights of my life was when Metalheadz, a British D&B DJ collective came to DC on July 4. They called the show the very apropos The British are Coming. With a little chemical assistance, I danced all night that night. Oh, what a time!!!

1 Like

I love the Residents. Commercial Record where “Amber” is from is great. And Not Available is one of my all-time favorite avant garde music albums.

2 Likes

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK!!!

i never thought id see another residents fan in the wild, what the hell! i love love love not available and i am very, very due for a relisten… my personal faves are Third Reich And Roll (the intro thumps around in my head often) and Mark Of The Mole (i love all tracks, especially Voices Of The Air)!

in general i love avant-garde music but ive yet to get into more bands outside of avant-garde metal. (Mr. Bungle’s self titled + Disco Volante are masterpieces, and so is Darth Vegas’ self titled.)

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m at the GALA Festival in Minneapolis this week, and heard one of the groups sing this. I sobbed for an hour.

2 Likes

Haha yeah I got into them when I was in my experimental music phase. Duck Stab is probably my second favorite. I also like Eskimo quite a bit, even though the name and concept are a bit problematic in retrospect. Avant-garde walks a fine line for me, as it can easily come off as pretentious, but the Residents’ material that I’ve heard has a method to the madness. I’ll admit I haven’t really checked out their post-1980 material much, though.

Another favorite of mine is their cover of James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s World”. Their style gives the patriarchal message of the song such a dark and sinister vibe. And the lyrical change of “Man makes money to buy from other man” to “Man makes money to buy another man” is really clever and compounds that dystopian feeling.

1 Like
3 Likes

When In Rainbows came out, Radiohead ran a website where it hosted a bunch of fan remixes of Nude. I would just go to the site and click around for hours while I did homework.

6 Likes

Oh that’s cool, I didn’t even know they did that. I do remember there was a lot of buzz around that album because they did a lot of cool stuff with it online. Didn’t they also release it digitally under like a “pay what you want” kind of system?
I wasn’t part of any of it because for some reason I couldn’t get into Radiohead when I was younger, and I don’t really know why because their style of music should have been right up my alley. But now over the last couple of years I’ve had the pleasure of going over their discography, some of it for the first time, and man, it all super clicks with me now.

3 Likes

Yea I bought it for like €0.01 because I was a poor college student. Radiohead is great.

4 Likes

One of the best songs from one of the best albums of all time.

1 Like

Wow, this is 10 years old already? Damn.
Whole album is so insane. Love it.

3 Likes

interesting video and save it to my playlist

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Great music to start my weekend to! Thank your for posting.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes