What are you listening to right now?

If you ever want to try a few other artists, follow the 6 degrees of their collaborations:

Lucy Rose (did vocals on some of their earlier albums)
Rae Morris (sister-in-law of Lucy Rose)
Fryars (Husband of Rae Morris)

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to connect this list back to Kevin Bacon, so someone else will need to step in for me.

2 Likes

Anohni’s new album is a powerful and painful ballad experience. As a trans politically active musician, Anohni doesn’t get a whole lot of coverage in the press. How little coverage does she get? I like Anohni, and I didn’t know this album came out!

If you are completely unfamiliar with her music, Anohni’s new album My Back was a Bridge for You to Cross is a good starting place. However my recommendation for newcomers is Anohni’s collaboration with Andy Butler on 2008’s self titled Hercules and Love Affair. I don’t think you can go to wrong with her discography, but that album has remained a favorite of mine.

1 Like

I’m surprised folks didn’t come on here to talk about the “New” “Beatles” song, but maybe they didn’t because it is only fine. I’m of the mindset that Lennon was not the best songwriter of the Beatles (that is Paul) and not the best musician in the Beatles (that was George), so basing a song around his demo maybe didn’t give this song the solidest ground. However, the major faults of the track seem to come from how overproduced it feels. I think the original demo is preferable to this version as the sparseness adds to the aching. However, this is by no means the worst song with the Beatles moniker attached to it.

If this is truly the last “Beatles” song, I think that is fine. And with this result, maybe I would like for this to be the last one haha. It is catchy though. I’ll give it that.

4 Likes

New Beirut out today. I love Beirut.

1 Like

I think it has all the makings of a classic beatles song, but the emotional guitar and piano combo is not something I would have expected them to make, I feel like a lot of people (including me, for a while) think of the beatles as ust being 4 guys with similar haircuts and upbeat, safe, inoffensive sounding songs, but this song made me realize that simply wasn’t true. I think they made it respectfully and the lyrics take on a whole new meaning knowing that Lennon was shot. (speaking of that, the fact some sicko who read the catcher in the rye and got obsessed with it can just take away one of the best musicians of the past century with a bullet is surreal on another level when you think about it),yeah sorry about the wall of text I just wanted to express how I see this.

2 Likes

Yes - Close To The Edge - YouTube
I think this might be the most incredible piece of music I have heard in my life. The opening is pretty great, the solemn and ambient sound that plays after, the sudden transition to the organ solo, the phenomenal keyboard solo then suddenly turning into a more aggressive and odd sounding version of the more upbeat and soft sounding part that plays after the cacophony of sound in the intro, the beauty of the final bridge, the emotional swing of the final ‘I get up I get down’ part and then the nature sounds and flitting sort of chime sound at the end are just amazing. I think this song is an absolute masterpiece and should be listened to with little to no distractions to get the full experience. Never gets old.

2 Likes

Yeah I only thought it was “fine” and not really worth the buzz other than it coming from “The Beatles.” In some ways I find the solo demo to be much better, the bombastic instrumentation they added just doesn’t match the forlorn vibe of the song, in my opinion.

The other two reunion songs based on Lennon demos, “Free as a Bird” and “Real Love” are much better, so I’m not surprised this was shelved for so long. I would be very interested in them releasing new versions of those two tracks using the new voice isolation tech that they used in “Now and Then.”

I do think Paul was always a better musician than John, and Paul was definitely the driving force behind the band, but John had insane songwriting highs between Rubber Soul and the White Album that will always put him in equal footing in my eyes. His solo career was very spotty compared to Paul, but when it comes to the material they made as a band, I always gravitate towards John’s more moody songwriting.

2 Likes

Perhaps because Paul used AI to complete the song. He might have been a good song writer, but somehow he lived long enough to become the worst Beatle.

The whole thing stands on shaky ground at best. I’m not opposed to AI wholesale, but obviously there are real problematic uses- some of which look very familiar to what is happening on this track. John did not live long enough for anyone to know his thoughts on AI recreation (or enhancement or however we want to articulate this tech working) because this was all sci-fi 43 years ago. Heck, would John even want this demo out there? All of these questions cannot be answered as John can’t give us his answers. I’m of the mindset that consent would need to be received in order to move forward with such a process (Do not let an AI read my Grouvee posts to write a review of Donkey Kong: Banana Bankers in 2154), but we have this project anyway. I do not think the result is offensive, but I also don’t think it is worth the ethical concerns that it is stuck with.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s offensive either but I do think I’ve little interest in Paul milking unfinished songs when two of his bandmates aren’t around to give their thoughts on it. Personally I don’t find the songs restored prior to AI any more interesting. I’d rather listen to unfinished demos because the people on them contributed in ways they were unable to on the final releases.

1 Like

awsome vinyl collection!

1 Like

Thank you. Those are the only video game related records I own, but i have quite a few other ones that are more traditional if that makes sense.

My favorite Yes song is the JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure theme song.

1 Like

AI is not the problem with “Now and Then.” If anything, new better voice isolation tools are cool and I’m all for their existence and use. Using a dead musician’s demo like this without his express consent for a commercial release is morally suspect at the very least (The only thing keeping me from dismissing it outright is that it was expressly greenlit by Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon), but I feel like this getting tagged as “AI” is a bit misleading to people who haven’t read about the process that went into this. This is Paul’s fault btw, he’s throwing the term around himself and greatly exaggerating its role, which was solely for isolating John’s vocals.

6 Likes

you mean Roundabout? Filthy Jojo fan SCUM. I swear one day I’m gonna-
—to be continued…–>

3 Likes

From the Youtube comments: “The sheer “I Drew this in my notebook when I was 10” energy of this song is amazing.” I could not have said it any better, my 10 year self is singing along, thank you Spotify Weekly Mix!

Spotify

From “One Album A Day” I am listening to Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information (1974)

Spotify

All i can say about this song is: :musical_note::notes:"Ooh baby sweet thang, sweet thang sweet thang!" :notes::musical_note:

2 Likes

I think I’ve found my new fav genre; mumble rap! :smile::metal:

(Just to clarify; this is not a diss post. I think these guys are awesome and totally support what they and the people around them are doing. There should be more of this!)

3 Likes

New Andre 3000 tomorrow! It’s just him playing the flute!!

I don’t know how big OutKast is for the international audience that is Grouvee, but they are huge in the states. I came to love OutKast right when they broke up. While I love a lot that Big Boi brings to their projects creatively (and I like his solo stuff (and I do not like all of his political opinions)), I have always been an Andre 3000 guy. There were rumors of a solo Andre 3000 record earlier in the year that was gassing me up. Now that this is announced, I am still genuinely excited for it. Was I hoping for an all flute album? No. I was looking for bars. But in the 17 years since the last OutKast album, I have come to appreciate instrumental music. Everything from Explosions in the Sky to Chuck Mangione to Thelonious Monk has a place in my heart. I’m hoping this new Andre 3000 album finds a place there too.

4 Likes

He seems very self aware about the expectations he is subverting, considering a track off of the album is titled “I Swear, I Really Wanted to Make a “Rap” Album but This Is Literally the Way the Wind Blew Me This Time.” :joy: I am really looking forward to this, it’s an unexpected move, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from André 3000.

3 Likes