Movies and TV, Anyone?

To add to this, specifically in regards to Madame Web, I am still baffled how it got this far and the level of promotion it received compared to other films put out by Sony and other studios.

I would need a few hours to accurately talk in depth about it too, and even then it wouldn’t do it justice. It’s one of those films, I recommend watching but would be hesitant to advise people to directly pay to see. Maybe abstain until it comes to streaming. I plan on seeing it again (I know, I’m crazy), and hopefully it makes a bit more sense but I doubt it.

1 Like

Just started the halo tv series. Two things impressed me.

1. They actually used halo music and I believe the guy who did the BSG music is doing the halo music now.
  2. He actually wore his helmet
1 Like

Does anybody got a 4K Blu-ray player? I have a Criterion Collection and as the format changes, I was thinking of upgrading. I just wonder how well my eyes and ear can even tell the difference between that and a standard Blu-ray. I’ve also read that the PS5 is not a great 4K Blu-ray player so that isn’t a solution for me either.

1 Like

Do you have a 4K TV? Personally when it comes to 4K or higher resolutions, I can’t really tell the difference. We bought one a couple years ago so they may be better now, but right after getting it setup, we tried a YouTube video designed to test out the difference and honestly, I could tell a slight difference but it was minuscule compared to when 1080 first came out. I’m curious as well if there is a noticeable difference when using a compatible 4K Blu-ray player, but I’m not willing to spend anything on one quite yet.

I’ve seen the 4K Ultra films out and about but I’m wondering if the quality is all that different than a traditional HD film.

1 Like

Yes on having a 4K TV- 4 years old and an inexpensive model, but I do have a 4K TV. I guess that’s my concern. I spend the money to get a 4K Blu-ray player, maybe I even upgrade my TV, I buy the more expensive Blu-ray to possibly not be able to tell the difference.

I still think many of my Blu-rays look quite good on my TV…

2 Likes

That’s the thing. I have a Toshiba 4K TV that is less than 3 years old and it has been running super slow, even with frequent cache and storage cleanings, whereas my Panasonic SD TV from 2011 has been running like a dream with zero issue and I imagine it will continue to do so for years to come.

With all of the tests that I have done, I notice a slight difference but nothing so extreme that it makes me feel that I have to upgrade either the player or to the newer discs in fear that I am missing out.

I’m more in the camp that I feel it would be best to hang tight. Another year won’t hurt and they might improve on the technology, and the price will hopefully be cheaper too. I’m seeing about $218 for a Panasonic, and while that isn’t that expensive, when you compare it to the cost of a PS5 or Xbox One X, you don’t get a whole lot for the price comparatively speaking.

2 Likes

You can use a TV distance viewing calculator to determine the benefit of higher resolutions in relation to your viewing distance and TV size. You won’t lose anything by upgrading to 4K UHD-Bluray, but you might not notice much of a difference.

3 Likes

I haven’t looked at this in a while really, but I was thinking the HDR formats that the PS5 supported was the main issue. It doesn’t support Dolby Vision, but it does support HDR10 I think. I generally just rip my UHD blu rays and watch them via Plex, but the few times I’ve used my PS5, I’ve had no problems at all. Looks great to me. I don’t think it’s worth getting a separate player personally, but you do what you want.

As far as upgrading your collection, I honestly think HDR is the only reason to do it. You might notice a slight difference with the resolution, but you will notice a difference with HDR. I’ve spent the money on upgrading a few movies, like the John Wick series, and I’ve been happy with the decision almost every time.

4 Likes

I haven’t thought about HDR . I have Ghost in the Shell as the lone 4K UHD film. I’ll have to pop it in and see if I can notice the difference.

2 Likes

That seems like one that would make a pretty big difference! I know a few people (my wife) that say they can’t tell a whole lot, but colors in HDR are quite a bit more vibrant to me.

3 Likes

I have feelings about HDR. Unless a film was originally colour balanced with HDR in mind, HDR is going to drastically alter the impact of the film. And I’m iffy on these post conversions when they are brought to disc. Now it’s fair that transfer to a different video codec will introduce other issues, but I’m still hesitant about HDR. For example, I really don’t want HDR post conversion of something that was shot on film, because then I’m moving even further away from the reference image.

3 Likes

The original Oshii film? Does that disc have the original animated opening and the original soundtrack, or is it the later remaster that was produced in 2000? I’d like a new physical copy with a higher quality transfer but that 2000s remaster is atrocious.

1 Like

I am at the office now but when I get home, I can confirm with a clearer notion as I have both the 25th Anniversary edition and the 4K UHD version.

1 Like

From what I can tell the 4K transfer is of the original without the updated CG opening and remixed music. I might have to pick it up.

2 Likes

So ignorant question here; does quality go blue ray > HD > 4K HD? My telly is “only” HD so I guess 4k is wasted on me, but TBH I have very few movies in that format. I remember noticing the difference when switching from DVD to BlueRay, but not really from BlueRay to HD.

1 Like

HD, QHD and UHD (or Ultra HD) are the marketing names for display sizes at 1080p, 1440p and 2160p (more commonly known as 4K) respectively. Standard BluRay is HD at 1080p and Ultra HD BluRay is 4K. So to answer your first question it goes SD via DVD > HD via BluRay > UHD/4K via Ultra HD BluRay.

And it’s normal that you’ll notice a bigger difference from DVD to BlueRay than it is from standard BluRay to Ultra HD BluRay because of the law of diminishing returns that says that you’ll get a greater return on notice quality at a low end increase than you will at the high end. Or, in other words, that from DVD at 480p the jump to 1080p is more discernible to your eye than the jump from 1080p to 4K.

4 Likes

This looks pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Got my tax refund and Criterion had a sale.

These first two are an embarrassment of riches as they are two Criterion Collection films I have had before. I lent a friend Rushmore but I forgot who! It’s their copy now I hope they enjoy it.

Rushmore is when a Wes Anderson film started feel like a Wes Anderson film. Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray (I think he’s cancelled for being a jackass but he delivers a good performance here), intricate handmade sets, overly particular language delivered methodically- it’s all here. Smaller budget and more natural than his later release- Rushmore is a lot of fan and I’m happy to welcome it back home to my basement shelves.

I was given a copy of this on DVD which is a nice gift, but I have basically no other DVDs. I sold it at a local Disc Replay with the knowledge that one day I would get it on Blu-ray. That day has come.

The Royal Tenenbaums is the Wes Anderson film that Millennials think of when you mention Wes Anderson. It’s also the one I’m the least familiar with. I’ve seen it maybe three times, but always while doing something else. I’ve always enjoyed it but never given it all of my attention. Excited to do that soon.

By the way, yes. I like Wes Anderson movies. I think they’re good.

I have seen and enjoyed many an Ingmar Bergman film but never had the pleasure of watching Scenes from a Marriage. I did however watch the HBO remake (re-envisioning) and loved it a fair amount more than the critics seemingly did. Regardless, very excited to dig in to both the original series and film.

If two of my friends called me up and said “hey we’re friends now”, I’d be excited unless there was the possibility of one of them sharing a terrible secret about me. Well Bob Dylan and Martin Scorsese don’t know a terrible secret about me, they are hanging out, and I’m excited.

I adore Boyhood. For a little bit there, I considered it among my favorite films. There are so many beautiful moments of truth. When I first saw it, I deeply related to the boy as his upbringing mirrored my own, at least in terms of 90s-00s zeitgeist exposure. Now I relate to the parents. And it makes me terrified to reach the end.

A lovely and honest movie. I love it.

Happy to put it on the shelf.

6 Likes

This post has made me feel terribly uncultured and basic. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Today I am going to watch halo tv series episode 6. I hope I survive.

2 Likes