Grouvee’s Official Animal Crossing: New Horizons Discussion Thread and General Hangout

So far I’ve found a mix of what I think are the rarer fish on both my island and the other islands. I caught an Oarfish on my island twice.

2 Likes

You guys are crushing me on fishing. I caught a football fish but not much more rare.

3 Likes

It’s all dumb luck!

Unrelated, I want to catch a spider but they are too damn fast!

2 Likes

I’ve fainted 4 times while trying to catch a tarantula. SMH.

3 Likes

I’ve only caught 2 tarantulas so far and I think 2 attacked me. They’re worth the effort though, they sell for 8,000 bells.

2 Likes

I had already caught a football fish (which I recognized from New Leaf), but I don’t ever remember seeing a Barreleye in New Leaf. I caught one last night. According to the AC reddit it’s extremely rare.

A couple hours ago I caught an oarfish. I’m leaving fish outside my house while Blathers finishes building the museum, I laughed out loud at what the oarfish’s tank looks like.

I did the mystery ticket thing for the first time, went loaded with bait and fishing rods and caught zero new fish, so either I’m unlucky or there isn’t a big difference in fish rarity. Silver lining: I got the last materials I needed for the shop. Also met a villager who is apparently going to move to my island, and stole some coconuts so I can plant some beach trees. (Hoping those attract beetles like they did in New Leaf.)

It’s genuinely exciting playing a new AC for the first time in eight years and not knowing exactly how things are building up. It’s fun knowing there’s still a higher-altitude portion of my island I haven’t even been to yet.

3 Likes

I’m having trouble collecting iron. Most rocks give me clay. After several trips to other islands I’m at 29 iron ore, just one away from being done.

1 Like

You are using the shovel hole trick to get 8 hits every time, right?

1 Like

Nope. No idea what that is.

1 Like

Every time you hit the rock with your shovel, you get moved back. The amount of hits you can get in before it stops is time sensitive. So before hitting the rock, you dig two corner holes like this to brace yourself. That way you don’t move back when you hit it with the shovel and you get all 8 hits in. Classic trick that goes all the way back to the Gamecube game to get the most out of the daily money rock.

3 Likes

Not using that is going to severely limit how much iron ore/clay/gold you can get each day.

1 Like

And here I am hitting it with my axe.

2 Likes

Haha, that might work just fine so long as you brace yourself with the two corner holes before hitting. Haven’t tried using an axe yet.

1 Like

For the first full day I didn’t even know I could hit the boulders to mine for ore at all. I’m basically 100% new to this because I’ve forgotten everything from the GameCube days 18 years ago.

1 Like

The ore and crafting elements are pretty new, so don’t feel bad about not knowing that. I didn’t realize either, broke all my rocks, and now since only one rock comes back each day have to use a Nook ticket to get any iron ore. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How did you break them?

1 Like

Eating a fruit gives you the power to break rocks or apparently dig up entire trees.

1 Like

Is there a way to get rid of that power without actually hitting a rock or digging up a tree? I ate a bunch of apples, and I don’t really want to bust up all my rocks (I don’t think?)

1 Like

I ate ten the other day and it was gone the next day. No idea if there’s another way to do it.

1 Like

There’s a toilet item, no joke. Otherwise you can just dig up trees and then put them back where you got them. I don’t believe digging them up destroys them like it does rocks.

1 Like