Grouvee’s Official Animal Crossing: New Horizons Discussion Thread and General Hangout

Question to AC veterans, can you relocate or even swap residents? Are you stuck with the residents you start with or can you rotate them out?

2 Likes

This game seems to be bigger on relocation, but its early enough that I’m not certain yet about moving villagers. Generally the more you talk to villagers and give them gifts, the less likely they are to leave. If you want them to leave, you smacked them with your net a bunch. Again, early enough that I’m not sure in this game yet though.

1 Like

You are Captain Bobbery???

3 Likes

They will leave if they are unhappy or feel like they have run out of stuff to do and want more adventure. It’s rather vague. Or at least it was, dunno how the new mechanics work of course. Best way to make them unhappy is to whack them with your net. It’s also very therapeutic :joy:

1 Like

More of a Don Pianta, I make things happen.

2 Likes

I believe I read that you can move homes around after you unlock townhall/Isabel’s office. I’m playing very aggressively and may unlock that soon. I’ll let you know.

My town is named (what else) Georgetown!

4 Likes

Time travelling already or did you get your copy a few days early?

2 Likes

I didn’t get an early copy and I didn’t time travel. It is a case of it came out at the perfect time for me. I still have to go to work during the covid 19 pandemic, but there isn’t much for me to do. So I’ve been bringing my Switch and just crushing Animal Crossing at work for 8 hours a day. Then when I get home, my wife and two of my kids play it. So our town is already making major progress.

4 Likes

There really is a lot you can do for long stretches of time and I could see how you’re already there. I’m a day away from the museum being built (under construction) and I understand that I’m a bit behind other people. Also I think if you spend nook miles on island travel you can amass resources faster. I assume you did that, yes? I haven’t been able to upgrade the store because I need iron, and I could have more iron if I visited other islands but I spent nook miles on expanded tools, storage slots and hair styles (I’m a sucker for cosmetics). So I can easily see how I could be further along than I am.

2 Likes

Yea this morning my shop and museum were built. I’m betting big on turnips today. I bought 700 of them! So I may get an even bigger lead or I am about to fall way behind haha

2 Likes

What’s with turnips?

1 Like

Turnips are literally a stock market. You buy them on Sunday and then try to sell them in the week for the best price by monitoring the trends in Nook’s Cranny. Sell 'em before the next Sunday or risk losing the investment entirely.

Honestly I find it far too stressful and don’t tend to bother but I’ve bought some today. First because it was the first time I met Daisy Mae, and second because I want to check if there are new mechanics.

3 Likes

Interesting. Every guide I’ve seen from reviewers, early release copies, and people who did time travel show that the minimum number of days for that is around 5 to a week. Not from lack of effort, just from the number of events that take a day to activate.

1 Like

I took all my money out of real stocks so I gotta feel that thrill again.

4 Likes

Is it weird that I’m savoring each day and trying not to maximize productivity to unlock things faster?

I only need 3 more craft supplies to unlock the first shop upgrade, and I’m just like “I guess I won’t unlock that till tomorrow, then. Time for more fishing!”

5 Likes

Not at all! If anything it’s more true to the spirit of the game. I just want to unlock Amiibo so I can bring in my favourite residents :grin:

2 Likes

Caught anything interesting? I just caught a Blue Marlin which was exciting!

4 Likes

Neat! I was fishing last evening and caught two deep-sea fish, one I remember from the last game and one that seems to be new. That was pretty exciting because I’m a sucker for odd undersea creatures.

2 Likes

I need to fish more on the Nook ticket islands. I think there are some fish that either only show up there or show up more commonly there. Could use more iron ore anyways.

2 Likes

That’s neat. Which deep sea fish? Angler? Other?

2 Likes