Grouvee Game Club

Played a bit more of the game and so far it’s really fun, managed to finish Edward’s story and I started Ada’s.

I like how tricky the tracks get as you go on. Each one is harder than the last, and trying to figure out how to drift around each specific turn is pretty fun.

I also really like how different Ada’s car feels. It’s just changes to the stats, but you have to think differently when you drive it. I’m sure there’s like, an optimal car to use in each map if you want the best time, forcing the player to play through the story again with a specific car really changes how each track feels.

Writing’s still very cringe.

I’d love to advance more through Ada’s story but, once again, carpal tunnel’s got me. It is what it is

3 Likes

Each car has a different feel, they did a good job of making every one unique. They all use different methods to get optimal angle out of them. Theres a series of challenges available too, to unlock other cars for arcade mode and such. Theres also more tracks than whats shown in story, so if you really want to experience all the game has on offer its worth checking out some of the other modes.

Im glad people are enjoying this one. Ive always felt like it needed more attention

2 Likes

I have to mention this before I forget, but omg the sound design for this game is insane. All sound effects are great, and the way they all bounce off the environment in different ways is incredible. You can tell not only how close you are to a wall, but even what type of wall it is, just by the sound the wind makes. So good.

4 Likes

Been busy the past few weeks so haven’t been able to get much gaming in other than the occasional social gaming session. Been fun reading about everyones experience with Inertial Drift though:)

I’ve played half of the cups now in Sonic All Star Racing and I’m having a blast. I feel like the themes or games used for each cup do repeat quite a bit, but that’s something that also happens in games like Mario Kart too. I love how hectic the game gets at times with so much happening on screen, explosions, power ups, drifting, jumps, whacky levels, and then the music is pumping at 100mph. It’s an adhd fever dream and I love it!

3 Likes

It sounds like a lot of fun. I was hoping to get to this game but the way life has been throwing me curveballs recently, I’ve been fighting for my life trying to find time for gaming. I’m hoping things will settle down cause these are really weird curveballs.

I’ve still yet to test my drifting skills again. I feel like every time I say I’m gonna play, I jinx myself and something happens. Oops.

3 Likes

listen to some eurobeat next time you try lol. Itll get ya pumped XD

3 Likes

Finally got around to beat Ada’s story, and it was pretty fun.

For the first time ever I managed to lose a race, and the game just… skipped me over??? I guess it’s ok since the race was actually pretty hard (couldn’t beat it even after starting over), but the fact that the game just unceremoniously moved to the next level, not even showing a try again? screen or anything does piss me off a little bit.

I think one of the reasons I don’t like the writing is because nothing really happens in it. It’s just a bunch of people going around different race tracks and asking each other hey do you wanna race? (and, obviously, everyone does). Supposedly, everyone is preparing for a huge Grand Prix that’s taking place soon, but every time you finish training for it, the next story mode just puts you right at the beginning once again. I feel like im stuck in a filler episode with no way to come out.

It’s not even good as a character exploration or anything, everyone is so one-note and uninteresting that it just makes me want to skip all conversations. All character arcs so far have been people going from Oh, I’m not ready to participate in the Grand Prix to I talked with my friends and now I’m ready to race!. Baby’s first character arc.

The gameplay itself is really good, though. I’ve said it before, but I really like how every car needs to be piloted differently. It’s not just Oh you gotta take the curves earlier with this one, they all feel fundamentally different and you cannot try the same strategy with each one. It brings out some much needed variety to what would otherwise be the least replayable story mode ever.

Excited to see how the rest of the characters play like. Not excited for everything surrounding that.

7 Likes

It was startling when I lost the race in the City Skylink section and it let me move on anyway. That’s why I wanna go back and “earn” my right to progress. Especially since it’s so clear I haven’t mastered the mechanic taught in that chapter.

5 Likes

I dont remember it ever doing that to me? I wonder if it was something that they added or changed in later updates. Or a bug. Depends on the race too i suppose… some of them will let you pass if you get any medal, others you have to win. Oh well.

Yeah, the story for me is the weakest part as well, but the gameplay is so fantastic i have a hard time counting it against it too much.
Youre moving on to the third character now right? I struggle with his car.

3 Likes

I’m considering Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing finished now, completed all the grand prix cups on advanced difficulty, bought some store items, and played as a few different characters. Finished it in roughly 4.2 hours but if you wanted to complete the game on every difficulty setting you’d have to repeat the cups 3 or 4 times over which would triple your playtime. If you add all the missions and time trials on you’ll rack up even more time. Personally didn’t feel invested enough to do all the extra stuff but really enjoyed my time with the game.

Mentioned it already but the soundtrack is great, the characters are all really fun, the levels are super fun to drift around in. I do think the difficulty ramped up significantly in the last two cups, I had everything thrown at me and was coming 3rd or 4th regularly.

Would recommend on sale though and was definitely fun to play for the game club:)

2 Likes

oh, forgot to mention, it was nice seeing the character from Nights Into Dreams start all of the races at the beginning. Christmas Nights Into Dreams was the first game I played with you guys in the game club!

3 Likes

I think I may need to return to Inertial Drift when I have more patience on learning its mechanics. I’ve been trying to beat the final race in the second chapter but haven’t been successful. I’m confident if I spent some time studying how other players get through it (taking the same strat as Ada here, haha) that I could do it myself.

September 15th is our current end date for this sleight of games. Do we want some more time with them or do we want to start the nomination process? I don’t mind either way as it’ll give me more time to try out the other two racing games.

4 Likes

I started Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing last night. I played through the tutorial and raced through the Chao Cup as Shadow. I love how all these types of games always give you a speed boost when you start accelerating during the countdown. I played on the Beginner difficulty so it was a relaxing experience in bed. It’s not technically compatible on the Steam Deck but it ran fine. I just had to adjust the resolution on the config launcher and figure out the buttons myself, which wasn’t difficult since the controls are simple.

2 Likes

I dunno if im gonna finish inertial drift again, but ive enjoyed revisiting it. Ill probably take a whack at the dlc before calling it quits.

2 Likes

Since no one seems to have any objections, I think it’s time we start considering our next nominations.

During the last round we talked about limiting the number of votes but I also think we should consider limiting the number of nominations. I was thinking 3 votes per person and 2 nominations per person.

Also it was mentioned to have multiple games to play per month but I’m a bit hesitant about this (unless there’s a legitimate tie) so if anyone wants multiple options to pick from, please explicitly say so, otherwise we’re gonna go with whatever has the most votes. I’m worried the more games there are to choose from every month, the less we’ll end up conversating as a group if we’re all playing different games.

I was thinking the genre for this upcoming round should be horror since the autumn equinox is coming up and Halloween is just around the corner. But if y’all wanna wait until we’ve actually entered the month of October, we can do that too.

2 Likes

Silent Hill 2 to prepare for the Silent Hill 2 remake.

4 Likes

I’ve not played it, but Tangle Tower is $4 on Steam right now and is supposedly a spooky murder mystery. So I’ll nominate that!

4 Likes

Gris, and my other nomination is Gris XD

I most likely wont be in this one, as ive got my own Halloween thing going on.

On the real tho, i actually nominate Blue Stinger, or Illbleed, in honor of Dreamcast’s 25th anniversary… im so old…

3 Likes

Inertial Drift is causing me some carpal tunnel issues, so I have to play it very sparingly. I’m definitely not finishing it before the deadline, but it’s fun to play so I’d still like to get it done before the year ends.

Anyway, I don’t really play many horror games so I’ll nominate Zombies Ate My Neighbors because that’s a funny game to play on halloween.

4 Likes

Just a heads up, we did Illbleed as part of the Retro Game Club not too long ago, so I’d sit that one out if we went with it just because I’d like to focus on something new.

2 Likes