Grouvee Game Club

In honor of the Monthly Game Club and the Monthly Retro Club threads I missed out on, I wanted to revive the game club scene here in the forums.

If you haven’t read or participated in those threads, basically the Grouvee Game Club would act similar to a book club but for games. We’d all vote on a game we’d like to play together and once we decide on a game, we can discuss it throughout our playthrough.

A game club is nothing without its participants so please feel free to offer any suggestions, whether it be what game we should play next or general ideas.

My personal suggestions / ideas:

1. Starting our first game at the latest by August 1st.
  2. We could pick random themes to narrow down game suggestions (or have open choice, that’s cool too).
  3. No more than two active games at a time. I’m honestly okay with focusing on one.
9 Likes
  1. Sure

2. Do more racing games…lol. legitimate suggestion, in honor of the xbox 360 market shutting down, play an Xbox summer of Arcade game. These were all indie highlighted games by xbox.

1. I dont have enough time to focus on more than one lol
2 Likes

The racing and Summer of Arcade themes are good suggestions. Maybe we’ll go with the Summer/Winter of Arcade theme first since tis the season? If so, what games would y’all suggest? I personally still need to beat the OG Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons game so I’m going to suggest that one for sure.

3 Likes

Ive honestly played nearly all of them before, but its been awhile. I have not played Bionic Commando Rearmed, Lara Croft Guardian of Light or Castlevania Harmony of Dissonence so those would be my first choices…

But id also highly recommend Castle crashers, Dust: an Elysian Tale, Trials HD, Shadow Complex or Bastion. But i feel like most people have probably at least messed about with those.

I will not play Braid.

2 Likes

I think it would be smart to pick two games, and to select only one from the Summer of Arcade games in the event that not everyone who wants to participate is on XBox. Unless the games are multiplatform.

I think it’s always a good idea to spread the options across platforms so that people who don’t have access to multiple platforms have a great chance of playing at least one of the titles.

3 Likes

Not all but a fair portion of them are multiplatform. If i remember correctly they were for the most part timed releases. Wreckateer might be an exception because if memory serves it was a kinect game.

3 Likes

Agreed. I was going to post the game options with platform information alongside them so we know how accessible they are while we’re voting. I believe many of those Arcade games are widely available outside of Xbox 360. I’m certainly not going to drag mine out of storage to plug it in for a single game. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If youve not started that, im literally on my computer right now, i could knock it out real quick

2 Likes

Go for it! I won’t be able to until tomorrow anyways.

2 Likes

Summer of Arcade Games and Platforms

• Bionic Commando ReArmed -Steam, Xbox360, PS3

• Braid - Anniversary ed on all modern consoles, Steam

• Castle Crashers - HD version available on all modern consoles, Steam

• Shadow Compex - Xbox 360, Xbox One/series, PS4/5, Steam

• Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - PS3, Xbox 360/One/Series, Steam, Switch, Stadia

• Limbo - Basically Everything

• Bastion - Basically Everything

• From Dust - Xbox360, PS3, Steam

• Toy Soldiers: Cold War - Xbox360, Steam Via Complete Collection

• Deadlight - Xbox360/One/Series, PS4/5, Steam

• Dust: An Elysian Tale - Xbox360, PS4/5, Switch, Steam

• Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Basically Everything, both original and Remake

Trials HD is available only on Xbox 360, but Rising and Fusion are both on modern consoles and offer basically the same experience.
Otherwise the rest either require Kinect, are no longer listed due to to license, or are only on X360.

4 Likes

That’s our official game poll then! Vote for as many as you like. Some of these games are pretty short so maybe we’ll get through a few of these in order of what gets the most votes. I’m not sure when exactly we’ll end the poll. Maybe by July 25th? We’ll play it by ear.

• Bionic Commando ReArmed
  • Braid
  • Castle Crashers
  • Shadow Complex
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  • Limbo
  • Bastion
  • From Dust
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  • Deadlight
  • Dust: an Elysian Tale
  • Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons
  • Trials
0 voters
4 Likes

I have no idea what’s happening, and i have no idea what any of these games are, but I vote for grouvee and country

5 Likes

I had no idea what “Summer of Arcade Games” is, so I learned something alreading from the Club. :hugs:

The only game I could see me playing/trying would be Deadlight and I already own it, so that would be a backlog win too. It looks like a platformer/puzzle game that I might be able to do despite me being really bad at platformers. What I have seen seems slow paced enough for my clumsy fingers and I like the art and setting enough to at least give it a decent try.

4 Likes

Bionic Commando ReArmed is 90% off in the xbox 360 storefront as part of the closing down fire sale if anyone owns the system and intends to play on it. Did a quick search for the other games on the list but couldn’t find anymore on sale.

4 Likes

Its a decent game. It also has an alternative ending that completely turns the story on its head. It has some moments of pressure, but none of it is intensly hard.

4 Likes

It’s been some time since any new votes came in so I went ahead and closed the poll.

It looks like our winner is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light!
capsule_616x353

This entry in the Tomb Raider series is available on consoles, PC and mobile devices. Online and local co-op multiplayer is available for a total of 1-2 players. I don’t believe it is currently on any subscription plans like Game Pass or PS+ so for those who want to participate but don’t want or can’t purchase a copy of the game, you are more than welcome to watch a longplay or stream of the game instead. Steam may allow the Remote Play Together feature so that could be another way to share the game if we decide to pair up for multiplayer.

4 Likes

I think the copy I currently have is on PS3 because it was given away as part of PS+ ages ago.

4 Likes

$3.04 CAD at IndieGala for the next two days.

6 Likes

I’ve never been on a club like this so I’m pretty excited to join you guys. Just wondering, will we have a start and end date for the games we play?

5 Likes

Due dates can give motivation but they can also give stress. HLTB claims this game takes 6.5 - 16.5 hours to complete so I don’t think it’ll take long to beat. We’ll set a tentative due date for August 15th but if we need more/less time for it, we can flex that timeframe.

4 Likes