Grouvee Game Club

So it looks like this poll is a three-way split if we close it now. Are we up for having three games for this round’s choices?

2 Likes

I’ll likely focus on Inertial Drift, because I’ve played through all of Horizon Chase Turbo (I can still happily chat about it) and it appears that Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was delisted from the iOS App Store, Google Play and the Xbox Marketplace (only the sequel Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed is available on Xbox).

2 Likes

I own Horizon Chase Turbo (not knowing why or when I got that one). So that will be the one that gets installed. If, what I am mostly sure will happen, I am not staying long with it, I will look at the Sony & Sega one too. I am not buying Inertial Drift that I do not own, but will be happy to read about your experiences with it.

On a first look onto the Steam page, Horizon Chase Turbo reminds me of a game I played a bit on my Amiga 500 long long ago, but was never good at:

Warning: The intro is EXTRME LOUD and weird.

The music was great and I remember I played with a joy stick of all things because it worked better with that then with the keyboard and mouse.

I have not played a single racing game and even avoid racing in other games when optional, but I like casual cruising in games. The only exception of that would be Days Gone where I tried the challenges with the bike and surprisingly had fun doing so.

2 Likes

Horizon Chase Turbo is inspired by games like Out Run (SEGA Arcade and Master System) and Top Gear (SNES). The devs even secured Barry Leitch, composer for the original Top Gear, to score Horizon Chase Turbo. So the fact that it reminds you of Out Run is very much intentional. It’s also why I nominated Out Run and Lotus Turbo Challenge along side Horizon Chase Turbo just in case people wanted to experience the influences on the current game.

2 Likes

Great to hear it is not just my mind playing tricks on me then, when this game is inspired by what I remember. Thank you for explaining! :hugs:

2 Likes

We have a three way tie so let’s announce our winners! Tentative completion date for these will be Sept. 15th but we can extend or decrease this date depending on how quickly we play them. There is also a lot of potential to buddy up with online multiplayer so if you’re brave enough to face competition, we could schedule a little racing tourney.

First choice is Horizon Chase Turbo!

capsule_616x353

As @BMO mentioned, this arcade racer has a 16-bit retro aesthetic. There was a limited physical release back in 2019 so RIP to all the physical collectors in the club. HLTB claims the main story takes 10.5 hours for completion. Up to 4 player local split-screen and online multiplayer.

Second choice is Interial Drift!

Featuring a 90’s retro future aesthetic, this is a twin-stick drifting game. HLTB claims the main story takes 2 hours to complete. Up to 2 players for local split-screen and online multiplayer.

Third choice is Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing!

capsule_616x353

A party kart racing game that features characters from different SEGA properties such as Sonic, Super Monkey Ball, Alex Kidd, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi, and more. HLTB claims the main story takes 5 hours to complete. Up to 4 players local split-screen and up to 8 players online.

2 Likes

For people who do want to buy it on PC, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is on sale at Humble for 50% off.

3 Likes

Inertial Drift is still on sale too right? might as well include that link in case it got lost

2 Likes

mmmm, Id argue 2 hours is light, at least for a first go. It depends how well one adapts to its playstyle. Its not super hard per say, but it does have a learning curve and a couple hard races. but we have plenty of time to go through it.

Im going to replay the main game, and the dlc myself, which includes a new story bit

2 Likes

Thanks! just bought it, love a good kart racer so I’ll be going with this first!

Keep forgetting humble have a sales page too as well as their normal bundles.

2 Likes

Thank you again for being our favorite couponer. I wanted to attempt trying all three but none of them were on sale on Steam. :sob:

EDIT: My partner has Humble Choice so I’m gonna have him get me codes for Inertial Drift and Sonic but I’m gonna gift the Sonic code to my friend who loves the series and just borrow it from her since she’s in my Steam family.

2 Likes

Horizon Chase Turbo is 20% off at Fanatical.

Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing is 55% off at Gamebillet.

Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing is also 50% off in the Humble Store.

Inertial Drift is 90% off at Fanatical.

Incidentally all of them redeem on Steam.

3 Likes

Coming in clutch (heh) with all those deals. Thank you so much. This really helps a lot.

EDIT: This idiot (me just so we’re clear) managed to accidentally redeem Sonic herself and bought Horizon Chase Turbo when her partner already owned it on Steam and has been screaming in frustration for the past ten minutes. I must now become a Sonic fan so the kart game will “belong” in my library and my partner must play HCT with me so I can justify buying an additional copy of the game. I should’ve never tried doing these purchases on mobile. I hate phones so freaking much. GAH.

3 Likes

I’ve gone ahead and bought Inertial Drift since it was the cheapest one, but if I have the time I’ll definitely try out HCT as well. I just wish the physical version wasn’t as expensive…

4 Likes

Did you already redeem the HCT code? If not you can return it.

2 Likes

Yep. I redeemed all the codes. I’m definitely playing them now lmao.

2 Likes

Went to download the games and Steam servers are down. :sob:

2 Likes

Not that it made the top 3, but Forza horizon 4 is currently on sale on the Xbox store (I believe on pc and on console) for 80% off.

It’s being delisted on all store fronts sometime December due to licensing issues, so I picked it up as I’ve never played a Forza game properly before. Set in the UK too. Just thought I’d let people know, not sure if it’ll get any cheaper before it’s gone.

2 Likes

Digging the twin stick controls of Inertial Drift. It immediately felt natural and I love the simplicity of the control style combined with how great the actual drifting feels.

4 Likes

Its kinda surprising how good it feels. Its very intuitive. Im going to play some tonight. Is there a way to upload video clips to the forum?

3 Likes