Grouvee Game Club

I used to not like them at all. Movies too. But somewhere along the way i started playing some, and now its probably among my favorite genres. I think the first Alan Wake, and Resident Evil 4 were some of the first ones to be memorable and make an impact on me. Gears of War 1 also felt pretty spooky at times, and the first time you run into the Beserker my friend and i turned the game off after it smashed through a pillar to get to me, made us both jump.

Sometimes it just takes the right kind of scary. My girlfriend doesnt like any scary stuff, but she played Little Nightmares, and Vanishing of Ethan Carter. She enjoyed those quite a bit.

2 Likes

We are currently renovating our flat and turning everything upside down since the month has started. Of course things turned not out the way we wanted and way more work needs to be done so I had to stay at a Motel for a week and Monday the next rooms get their floor ripped out.

I only have my old laptop for gaming available at the moment and the only game I play on that for now is Core Keeper. Mining stone walls and occasionally killing a slime is all I can do, after hours and hours of exhausting work.

My autistic brain is happy everything will be shiny and new but also hates change, so I am stressed out to the max on top of every muscle screaming.

I already had to sit out the racing games, I will come back to them when I have my PC and my big monitor back and I am sitting out the horror game too, so I am not voting, but of course I root from the side lines for the Mimimi game. Still bummed that the studio isn’t anymore. :frowning:

Only downside if you are going to play Shadow Gambit is that I can’t read what you are writing because that’s definitely a game I will play in the future and I need to avoid spoilers.

My current gaming setup:

:smile:

6 Likes

If you hypothetically had a copy of Shadow Gambit and didn’t start for a week or two, would it be a feasible option for you?

1 Like

This chaos will at least last for the rest of the month. So I definitely can’t start the game before Spookytober is here. Then I will have a desk and my PC back even if not everything is done. I guess unpacking (for real unfortunately, not the game) will then take somewhat longer, but we can take our time with that while we are currently depending on contractors to help and everything needs to be done yesterday to keep the cost down.

So you would need to wait 2 weeks. I would definitely buy the game for this to have a chance to experiene it together with you all.

3 Likes

I mentioned it’s on sale at GamersGate, yes? It’s 49% off if you use the code ITAD at checkout.

Whether it gets selected or not I’ll play it before year end. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s a nice discount. Definitely checking out if it works for Germany and buying it! <3

Edit: I hate this, but they only accept a credit card which I do not own, I just do not need more than a debit card and Paypal for 99% of all payments I make. I remember Paramount+ doing this too, but after 2 years they understood that they NEED to offer other payment methods in Germany and now Paypal is an option. The differences between Americans and Germans…:joy:

The discount otherwise would have worked.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed that it does. It’s the lowest historical price thus far.

2 Likes

I have closed the polls and we have another tie this month! Tentative end date is October 15th.

Our first winner is Silent Hill 2!

With the remake releasing just around the corner on October 8th, 2024, let’s squeeze in the original 2001 survival horror game that launched on the PS2 and was later released on Xbox and PC. There are a few different versions of this game. I believe the best version is the original release and not the version included in the Silent Hill HD Collection. If there’s anyone that can vouch for this, please do. Because of this, emulation may be the most reasonable way to play this title.

Our second winner is Tangle Tower!

This is a point-and-click whodunnit murder mystery that launched on Apple Arcade in 2019 but has since been ported to Switch, Steam (Steam Deck Verified), PS4, and Xbox One. It is technically the third in the Detective Grimoire series. The first game was a prototype flash game that released on Newgrounds. The second game is called Detective Grimoire: Secret of the Swamp. Considering I didn’t realize Tangle Tower was part of a series, it’s a safe bet playing the previous games is not required. Even the names aren’t similarly branded so maybe Tangle Tower was a “fresh start” for the series. A sequel has been announced titled Tangle Tower: the Mermaid’s Tongue for those who want more after finishing this one.

If anyone needs help with emulation or are aware of any deals for these games, let us know. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is correct. The HD version is patched together from an alpha of the game and an attempt to rebuild missing code. It’s playable if it’s a person’s only option but it suffers from numerous glitches, graphical degradation and a poorly encoded audio track.

2 Likes

Hmm, I though Tangle Tower was on Apple Arcade but it looks like it’s not and is a paid game on the App Store.

Tangle Tower is currently 80% off on Steam, which is the historical low.

2 Likes

whats the cut off for this one? Oct 1st?

1 Like

It’s usually mid-month to mid-month. @Roach can correct me, but I’m assuming the 14th or 15th October since it’s the 15th September now.

1 Like

Tentative end date is October 15th but if everyone finishes before then or needs more time, we can adjust.

Good, i may or may not have already had plans for this lol.

1 Like

It was probably a timed deal with Apple then. Like how games will be on PS+ or Game Pass for a little while before they get removed.

Possibly, and other games have been removed from Apple Arcade. But I can’t think of any that transitioned to paid titles. When Shinsekai: Into the Depths was removed from Apple Arcade it was removed from the App Store altogether. But I suppose each deal is negotiated separately so anything is possible.

1 Like

Since I want to try playing through the series, I got DuckStation and SH1 working. If I somehow play through it fast enough to get to SH2 this month, I’ll be quite proud of myself but if not, I’ll still enjoy reading y’all’s experiences.

I’ve already 100%’d Tangle Tower but I’m gonna try watching some reviews/gameplay of it so I can still experience alongside y’all. This game is an easy 100% if you click on all the things so make sure to do that. :))

Tangle Tower looks gorgeous, but I’ve been burned before with point-and-click games that look beautiful but end up frustrating and infuriating due to the usual problem of moon logic and aimlessness “just click on everything until the game moves along”. So I’m not sure about that.

I did start Silent Hill 2, though.

I can immediately see the appeal. It’s drench in atmosphere. It feels weird and creepy and the PS2 graphics hold up well thanks to the murky, dark and fogy art direction.

I liked how the map works as a quest log but also integrates with the world. Finding a map from a previous person going through town with similar notes is eerie.

The monsters are truly bizarre and the sound design makes them terrifying. The combat kind of kills that, though. Enemies kind of stop being menacing when they just stand there waiting to slowly being hit with a wooden plank. By the tenth encounter they were more frustrating than frightening. I know the idea is for the combat to feel clumsy because we are piloting a regular dude with his head too full of trauma to have space left for armed combat training, but though clumsy I don’t feel that James is all that fragile (at leas in this first hour). He can just clobber and stunlock these monsters and avoid their attacks with little effort.

3 Likes

Tangle Tower is short and easy. It doesn’t waste your time and I didn’t have to look up a guide at all to get 100% on it. I am not good at puzzles so I hope that gets across how chill the gameplay is.

Your screenshots of SH2 remind me of when I purchased a used copy in high school cause one of my classmates loved the series. I was so terrified, I think I lasted two hours before I just gave it to my friend who didn’t own it yet. I specifically remember turning off the walkie talkie because I’d rather get jumped by monsters than deal with the suspense of knowing I have to get closer and closer to it.

I’m curious how I’ll handle it. I don’t think I’ve got much braver, hahaha.

1 Like

I’d give it time for other creatures to appear. However, personally the horror of the game is in its concepts, themes and atmosphere rather than direct threat. The creatures in the game are far more conceptually and thematically eerie than they are a huge threat (perhaps with some minor exceptions to that threat as you progress).

2 Likes