Fitness and Health

Depending on region the recommendations will change. I am in US so historically the 2 biggest brands (meaning most used options and easiest to find info on) were Innova and Discraft.

The App U-Disc will show you most courses in your area regardless of location.

The Buzzz is the most popular disc in the entire sport by sales numbers and is a midrange. If you play with only one disc, the midrange is the best disc to use: It is easier to learn for beginners, but can still let you do a variety of throws once you are more experienced.

Other good and larger brands are the trilogy brands (Westside Discs, Latitude 64, and Dynamic Discs) They are three brands that are all owned by the same company, and have very similar plastic with different names. Dynamic is based in Kansas while the other two are Scandinavian. This just means that it will be easier to find Dynamic discs in a generic sporting goods store, but all 3 are well represented online and in specialty stores. These three brands discs also float in the air a little more easily which is good for beginners and those with weaker arm strength.

I’d recommend finding a used midrange (and ignoring all the crazy numbers at first) and seeing if you have any interest in the sport. If it’s around 10-12 dollars or less, it will be the brand’s entry level plastic. These typically feel harder and grainy. They work great, but hitting trees can dent or chip them which alters the flight. Great for starting out, but not what you want to use all the time if you start playing more. Above that price and you will start getting into other plastic blends which are typically more glossy, rubbery, or see through looking and have their own sets of pros and cons. All of them are significantly more durable than the entry level plastics though. The entry level plastics for the brands I have mentioned are:

Innova - DX
Discraft - X
Dynamic - Prime or Classic
Latitude 64 - Retro or Zero
Westside - Origio or BT

Some Midrange Recommendations by brand mentioned:

Discraft: Buzzz
Innova: Roc, Roc 3, or Mako 3
Dynamic: Truth or Justice
Westside: Tursas or Bard
Latitude 64: Claymore, Fuse or Compass

From there, there are a lot of resources online, or I am happy to share what I have learned through the years (I’m no professional, though my roommate of 3 years in college won a national championship in it).

If people enjoy and are interested, I’ll set up a topic for it so I don’t flood this one with info.

3 Likes

This is piquing my interest quite a bit. I’ll have to look around for any used Discraft: Buzzz’s as that seems to be the best fit so far. I have to admit, I have never played disc golf, so this should be interesting. I appreciate your recommendations. I’ll do some looking myself and report back. Winter isn’t here yet and there is a course 20 minutes away from me.

4 Likes

My work started a walktober challenge. Ive been using a pedometer and average about 1.5 miles a day walking.

I usually don’t sit for long so when I’m home I’m reorganizing things, gardening, or foraging for mushrooms (recent fall hobby). We’ve gone looking a couple times.

Every once in a while I’ll use our stationary bike or lift weights.

Still Im not as active as I’d like to be.

4 Likes

Ive been at Walt Disney World since last weekend so that has definitely helped up my walking each day. I love it.

30 miles so far.

6 Likes

Ran a 5K today!

14 Likes

Wait you’re a real person and not just the Christian Jojo pixel guy who dominates the alcohol discussions?

3 Likes

sure

4 Likes

Wow I learned something new!

1 Like

Completely changing my diet is one thing that has really helped me feel more healthy.
I don’t know if I have some kind of intolerance to certain foods, but cutting out things like added sugar, dairy, and gluten, has made me feel so much better. I exclusively cook my own food now and also made a Cronometer account to keep track of my calorie intake as well as protein, vitamins, iron, calcium etc.

I plan to start working out again beginning of next year. I used to do a home routine of bodyweight exercises which consists of push ups, squats, dumbbell exercises, planks, incline rows, and dips. Very basic stuff but I feel like it works well for what I want. Also some yoga at the end, easy stuff like cat cow really helps with my back.

7 Likes

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for two weeks now. I have found it to be helpful for portion control. I don’t know if this is going to be a long term thing, but I plan to do it for the rest of March. I’ll keep y’all updated how it goes.

6 Likes

Thats awesome. What app are you using to keep track? I’ve found LIFE Intermittent Fasting to work pretty well and also doesn’t force you to pay a fee or go forward with a subscription.

I’ve dabbled here and there with fasting, it just takes a lot of effort on my part to stick with it, depending on what routine I do.

2 Likes

Right now I’m not using anything to track it. I just mark when I first eat in the day, which is normally at 12p or 1p, and will give myself 8 hours to eat. I didn’t weigh myself the day I started because I find that can be a discouraging way to start a diet. But I’ll weigh myself this Wednesday as I integrate calorie counting. I did that a few years ago and ended up losing 40 lbs. I’ve gained a good chunk of that back over the last few years so I decided to get serious about my health again.

2 Likes

Be careful with Intermittent Fasting. It’s based on disordered eating logic, typically only produces short term desired effects, is dangerous for organ health and is linked to the phychological development of Eating Disorders. I highly recommend talking with a registered dietitian (not nutritionists who have no medical background or degrees).

5 Likes

I spoke with my neighbor who is a physical trainer (definitely not the same as a dietitian, but I trust his thoughts on health) and he gave me some advice on how to do it well. But he also was advising me to closely monitor my hunger/health/happiness. I will say it has been helpful for shrinking my portion sizes which is one of the big reasons I overeat (along with late night snacking which I presently can’t do).

I see it as a short term thing which I plan on shifting into calorie counting starting this Wednesday

4 Likes

I’m not a dietitian, doctor or anything of the like, but a specific food that I’ve found works wonders in providing me decent nutrients as well as helping me to stay relatively full and not reliant on snacking elsewhere is almonds.

Cleveland Clinic has a nice article on it’s value I recommend reading through.

2 Likes

I highly recommend you speak with a dietician instead. The amount of misinformation in the health world is staggering. Our society is obsessed with thinness and most people don’t care about the physiological impacts. Starvation, even intermittent, has significant negative impacts on the body and can lead to long term damage. I get that you trust your neighbour, and I’m sure he’s a good guy. And you don’t need to trust me, an internet stranger. But I have spent a long time with family with EDs. But you don’t have to listen to me. More than athything, I’ll stress that you talk to a registered dietitian to help you navigate these choices. I like you George, just be careful.

4 Likes

I am currenlty at around 260 and need to look at losing weight. Though the main thing I see with losing weight is portion sizes.

1 Like

My son started doing ultimate frisbee and I thought of playing disc golf as a way to practice/refine his throws. I took him out one day and there were some guys playing and they showed me the way to throw is to twist your torso to get added power in the throw. I did that and threw out my back for a week. So careful with the disc golf!!

4 Likes

You and I are at the same weight and I’ve started limiting myself to one meal a day a few days a week. I’ve lost 10 pounds in a month. It can difficult to do but I do it on work days and drink a ton of coffee on those days to stave off the hunger. I find I have to do that because if I start eating, I have trouble stopping. Hopefully you find the thing that works for you.

1 Like

I can definitely see that happening. My follow through has always involved too little of my body to look the way the really good players do, so I doubt I am in much risk unless I start working on that skill specifically.

I once threw out my back for a week twisting the wrong way to get out of bed shortly after adjusting to an office job, so I will do anything to avoid that feeling again.

3 Likes