Feedback, suggestions, say hi!

Hello! I’m really enjoying the website so far.
The only thing that I’d like to suggest is for some additional privacy settings, like having your games, statuses, reviews, etc. being visible only by friends or by people with the link (to a review, for example). The option to disable or restrict likes and comments would be nice too.

1 Like

The “friends only” profile is coming soon. I have the database end of it done, and I’ve redone the feed caching system. Now I just need to finish the UI parts of it and test it a bunch. So basically the way it’s setup is that only people you are friends with will be able to see anything you post. You will still be able to mark things as “private” that only you can see. I hope to have it done in a few weeks.

1 Like

Okay…I have to ask. There are badges for completing the new and advanced user tutorials. Where on earth are they?

(The answer to this is going to turn out to be blindingly obvious, I just know it. But I’ve looked around and I’m defeated!)

1 Like

I’m not going to lie, I have no idea :slight_smile:

I will do some looking to see how people are getting this badge.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but Cultist Simulator is missing Android as a platform.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been posted before, as I haven’t scoured every post as of yet, but I was wondering if there was a way to invite friends via email. I can always just tell people as well to go to the site and sign up. Just a thought I guess.

Thank you.

1 Like

There’s not a way really. I have on my list to give everyone a unique invite code that you could email out to people. That way people would automatically become your friend if they use your link. I don’t know when I’ll get to it though.

Thanks for the gold purchase by the way!!

2 Likes

Peter:

No worries. Just a thought that came to me as I have been spending more time with the site.

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

This may have been suggested before, possibly by me ( :sweat_smile:) but I would love to see the inclusion of a members blog to the site. I know we already have the ability to post reviews and personal updates, but I feel like a blog might be a more central way of having our own space for thoughts? Personally, I really like writing journals for games like Myst or No Man’s Sky and I think a blog could be really good for this.

Again, I know we could use updates, but if the blogs only showed to people who subscribed to us it may not “spam” the front page for them.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Hey Peter.

I just thought of this when seeing a review of Animal Crossing just a few minutes ago that made me step back. The reviewer said the game made them want to steal, kill and rape. Is there a way to flag a review to remove it from the game page, because I don’t know about you, but I feel that it not only doesn’t do a proper job of describing the game, but is quite insensitive.

Just a thought I guess.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Yeah, there were 4 accounts that were being terrible. They’re all gone now. (Also PM’d you).

4 Likes

As a sort a reverse of the issue with there being duplicate database entries on the same game, I sort of have a contemplation rather than a suggestion or feedback.

Years back it was very common for movies that were hitting the theatres to be accompanied by a tie-in game (this is still the case somewhat, but mostly in the form of children’s movies getting a shovelware product to go along with it), and it seemed every other game with a primary platform in mind still needed to get ports to all other then current platforms. Oftentimes these games differed a lot between platforms, especially since back then there was a massive discrepancy in processing power etc between said platforms (handheld vs stationairy, or across console generations). More often than not, they were made by different developers.

This lead to interesting occurances where games like Max Payne for some reason got a Gameboy Advance port (albeit a particularly decent one), where it’s obvious that a 3d shooter cannot be ported to the Gameboy format. It was still a shooter with the same slowdown mechanics, but instead presented in an isometric perspective, and it did still follow the same storyline etc. In the end, it did capture the essence of the 3D Max Payne, but it’s evident that it’s still a very different game.

Even more extreme than this, there are examples like Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, where development of gen 6 console versions began AFTER the release of the gen 5 console versions, and were subsequently released 2 years after which. I guess one could consider these “enhanced ports/remasters”, but they are closer to being completely new games based on the same source material, or at the very closest reimaginings of the previous games. And just like Max Payne, the Gameboy Advance version isn’t really the same game at all, being played from a top-down perspective instead. Entirely different from all other versions is the Gameboy Color version, where one could assume it to be a lower resolution port of the GBA game, it instead stands out by being the only RPG of the bunch.

So what I’m really wondering is this: From purely an objective perspective these aren’t the same games at all. However, from a database perspective, would it be preferable to have them as separate entries? It becomes a question of database bloating versus accuracy (especially in regards to rating etc).

Does anyone else have any thoughts in the matter?

1 Like

Since there’s no ‘recommended’ section and it would probably be a bit hard to make well, I’d really like to see an option to exclude games already in ‘my games’ from the game search/browsing.

1 Like

Hi, Two Weeks in Painland is missing.

1 Like

When looking at other people’s reviews on the front page, the details of my rating and what shelf I have the game on is much bigger than the user’s star rating. I think it would be better if the reviewer’s star rating was more prominent.

I keep thinking my rating for the game is the reviewer’s!

4 Likes

Yes! It happens to me a lot!

2 Likes

I would like to ask if theres any possibility that you could add half stars into ratings so you can give 3 and a half star for example because its really hard to rate something on 5 stars scale for me at least.

1 Like

I’ll point you to the main thread where this has been discussed extensively:

Replace the 5 star rating system

The long and short of it is that there is no current plan to change the rating system. Given the subjective nature of any rating system, and the fact that the site’s founder @Peter has considered various rating systems, he has settled on the current model. The current five star system based on the scale below was decided upon as the most ideal for the general purposes of Grouvee (you can read more about his position in the thread I linked to above).

• Five stars: loved it
  • Four stars: really liked it
  • Three stars: liked it
  • Two stars: mostly didn’t like it
  • One star: did not like it at all
2 Likes

I am going to flag this one for @Peter because I think that, from a readability standpoint, you make a good point here. I’ve tagged him so he’ll see this.

4 Likes

Oh I never noticed that the stars show this by hovering over them with a mouse. Thanks for that :smile:

1 Like