Alphabet Backlog Challenge

What about historical militaries? Just out of curiosity. Like the romans or spartans, or the medievial knight?

1 Like

I typically decide on a game-by-game basis. I have enjoyed some RTS games in past that are related to various historical or fantastical armies, and I don’t mind something like the battles in AC: Odyssey, but I don’t think I’m very interested in something like Rome: Total War. But very specifically I do not enjoy contemporary military games, like CoD or Battlefield. I’ve played some of them, but they aren’t generally my jam. And I don’t enjoy games where the depiction of heroes feed into jingoistic fantasies. Thus I’m really not into games like the Gears series either.

2 Likes

Yeah. Im a warrior history sucker so i get drawn into those, and ive even enjoyed some ww2 or vietnam stuff on occasion, but most modern or futuristic shooters i kinda just shut my brain off if i play them. Theyre all so daft and ridiculous

1 Like

I think it also very much depends on the framing, and who the game aligns the player with ideologically.

3 Likes

O is for ONE BTN BOSSES

This is a brief lil arcade shmup, where you fight bosses while riding fixed tracks that orbit around them. True to the name, there’s only one button for player input, which has different effects upon your movement and shooting depending on your equipment loadout.

The main campaign is pretty brief at like 3 hours, but I really had fun with it. There’s great variety in both enemy attacks and selectable playstyles for your ship, the challenge is tough without ever feeling punishing, and you can unlock alternate color schemes for all the different pride flags. There’s even a whole extra roguelike mode that you can dip into whenever!

Definitely recommended for anyone still looking for an “O” game.

1 Like

This game looks incredibly chaotic and I have no faith I’d be able to beat any of the bosses. Added it to my wishlist.

1 Like

I have faith in you! Plus there’s an optional mode where holding the button down makes you invincible. You can’t hold it down forever, but it’s a real help when things get overwhelming.

1 Like

Very interesting challenge, I’ll try somewhat, since there are lots of games with repeated letters I also want to play this year. Also, this is counting replays, if they are significant enough. I’ll edit as a play:
A- Anno 1800
B- Braid
C- Clone Drone in the Danger Zone
D- Doors: Paradox
E- Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
F- Final Fantasy XIII
G- Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions
H- Hitman: Absolution
I- Inscryption
J-
K-
L- Lil Gator Game
M- Monster Hunter: World
N-
O-
P- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Q-
R- Roboquest
S- Strange Brigade
T- TOEM
U-
V-
W- Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun
X-
Y-
Z-
#-

3 Likes

Ive realized my list is rather slim…but after halloween will probably be much more filled in lol

2 Likes

Was planning to play Animal Well for A (I’ll probably still play it) but my partner and I are having a lazy thunderstorm afternoon and will be playing Aladdin, so up goes Aladdin on the list.

4 Likes

Just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying this challenge! Focusing on one letter at a time has massively cut down my analysis paralysis about what to play next, and finding titles to play for the less common letters is a fun little game of its own.

And on that note, for folks looking for a “Q” game, I’d maybe recommend Quester on Steam and Switch. It’s a retro dungeon crawler in the vein of Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey, but with all the rough edges of the genre sanded off. Your map is updated automatically, health and mana are restored after combat, there’s fast travel and a fast-forward button, and it all takes place in a single big dungeon.

It’s clearly a low-budget production, with little to do or see outside the core exploration and combat, but I found that the constant drip feed of new characters, skills, and secrets mostly kept things from getting stale across its 10-ish hour running time. Worth a look if you’re at all interested in the dungeon crawler genre, and it’s frequently on sale for $10 USD on Steam.

2 Likes

Updating:

• A — Arcade Paradise
  • B — Bubble Bobble
  • C — Castlevania Legends
  • D — Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
  • E — Exvania
  • F — Forza Horizon 5
  • G — Ghostwire: Tokyo
  • H
  • I — Ikari Warriors
  • J — Jumping Flash
  • K — Kirby’s Dream Land 2
  • L — Last Resort
  • M — Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • N — Ninja Spirit
  • O
  • P — Penny’s Big Breakaway
  • Q — Quarth
  • R — R-Type
  • S — Soul Hackers 2
  • T — Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  • U
  • V — Victory Run
  • W — We Love Katamari
  • X
  • Y — Ys: Book I & II
  • Z — Zero Team USA

Four letters left. I’ll have to keep an eye out for any H, O, U, and X games on my radar.

4 Likes

Some of y’alls lists are so clean. I feel mine is so chaotic and messy in comparison.

3 Likes

Mine looks barren compared to some lol

2 Likes

Found a shorter game for J: JETT: Given Time. It’s the second instalment after JETT: The Far Shore and is packaged as JETT: The Far Shore + Given Time. I played The Far Shore at launch and have been meaning to play Given Time for some time. Looking forward to wrapping up the story.

2 Likes

The game club has definitely been helping fill in some blanks. I have a lot of in progress games on there but I think that’s perfectly fine. If I was more focused on titles instead of just playing games willy nilly, I’d be done by now. :upside_down_face:

Empty template for people to fill in:

• A -
  • B -
  • C -
  • D -
  • E -
  • F -
  • G -
  • H -
  • I -
  • J -
  • K -
  • L -
  • M -
  • N -
  • O -
  • P -
  • Q -
  • R -
  • S -
  • T -
  • U -
  • V -
  • W -
  • X -
  • Y -
  • Z -
2 Likes

Nice! This might be a good excuse to try some of those Epic Games Freebies.

• A - A Hat in Time
  • B - Before Your Eyes
  • C - Cyberpunk 2077
  • D - Devil May Cry
  • E - Ereban: Shadow Legacy
  • F - Furi
  • G - Gravity Rush
  • H - Hollow Knight
  • I - I Expect You To Die 3: Cog in the Machine]
  • J - Jusant
  • K - Killer 7
  • L - Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior
  • M -
  • N - No more heroes
  • O -
  • P -
  • Q -
  • R - Red Matter 2
  • S - Sunless Sea
  • T - The Talos Principle 2 (I love that it works even by “Talos Principle 2, The”)
  • U - Ultros
  • V - Viewfinder
  • W - Wanted: Dead
  • X -
  • Y -
  • Z -
3 Likes

I’m down to four remaining (M,R,X,Y).

BMO’s alphabet challenge list.

2 Likes

Which of the following are valid, jn your opinions;

T: The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom.
L: Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
Z: Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
E: Echoes of Wisdom

Cause I need an L, Z or E :sweat_smile:

1 Like