Alphabet Backlog Challenge

I have ten letters left. If I could please stop playing S games, that would help my progress immensely.

2 Likes

Updated my alphabet challenge list after completing a string of recent games and I’m now seven away from a completed list. Not too shabby.

2 Likes

I think I need new options for J, X and Y. I don’t know if I can get through Judgment, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Yakuza 0 in one year.

3 Likes

Yeah. Those are some hefty titles. Time to dig up some indie games.

2 Likes

Suggestions are welcome :wink:

2 Likes

Oooo okay. How about Journey, Juniper’s Knot, a Year of Springs, or Yoshi?
Seems like I don’t have any finished X games on my Grouvee. That’s kind of crazy.

1 Like

1992’s X on Gameboy, known for being the first game to do polygons on the handheld.

Xcom games…several of those exist

X-men Origins wolverine, which was miles better than the movie

XIII or 13…not sure that would count, but if it does the original is mostly fantastic.

Yellow taxi goes vroom which seems highly praised

Yoku’s island express, pinball metroidvania

Yooka laylee, banjo inspired collectathon

Any yugioh game.

You suck at parking…i dont know anything about thia but the name made me laugh

Jack move
Jade empire
Jazz jackrabbit
Jet set radioooooo
Joe danger
Journey
Jurrasic park

2 Likes

Journey of a Roach - Maybe while waiting for Silksong a story about different bugs might be something for you @BMO? So many people have backlogged this and not played, like myself. Maybe we need someone to write a review for it!

X screams for any of the XCOM games, but they can take forever depending on how you play them, what about XIII instead? There is the remake too, but that fell flat for many people, @corpseprincess had a blast with it though. I own the original and consider it for my “x” if it will still run. I know I got it from my library a long time ago (when they still had a bunch of PC games), but it did not run well on my computer back then, so I never got far into it.

Yuppie Psycho: Executive Edition - I haven’t tried it yet, but I might for my “y”.
Alternative: You Will (Not) Remain - need to be in a better mental state for this one though.

And a very short one that I am eying for “z”: Zenge The minimalistic art and the music seem decent and a small puzzle game inbetween - there is always time for that.

2 Likes

Fun fact, the first Yooka Laylee game was the one and only game that has ever made me experience motion sickness while playing a game.

2 Likes

I truly wish I liked these game. I’ve tried many a time and can’t get into them, sadly. I want to try other XCOM style games, like Marvel’s Midnight Suns or even those Mario/Rabbids strategy games, to see if I can find some enjoyment in them.

3 Likes

@Roach, @Nelemania, @Ureshi, I appreciate the suggestions. I’m going to roll those around in my head and consider the options they present.

3 Likes

I watched someone play the first Mario/Rabbids game and it was great. The only title so far that made me wish to own a Switch. They took the XCOM formula and made it their own and at first it seemed more on the easy side, but after a bit they went serious with it. They probably never go on sale
though because Nintendo? Then it is hard to commit not knowing if you would like them.

I have started Marvel’s Midnight Suns but put it aside after the tutorial. Not sure about it because most of the Marvel heroes I still do not know much about. Maybe it is more fun if you know the characters. The card mechanic on top of the XCOM style fighting is neat. I could see that grip me, but the Marvel humor and characters, super heroes are not my stick, … I don’t know.

2 Likes

Mario v rabbids actually goes on sale alot. I got the first game for less than 15 dollars. And its excellent. The movement mechanics feel very mario, and the story is goofy but still enjoyable. A couple spots it feels almost too tough, but overall the balance is really good. It feels very fast paced compared to most tactics to me.

2 Likes

It’s an Ubisoft developed game with Nintendo licensed characters. I bought the deluxe edition of the first game in the series for $20 CAD ages ago.

Also, don’t put full stock in the myth that Nintendo games don’t go on sale. I regularly buy Nintendo games on sale, even physical editions. What they don’t experience is a permanent price reduction. So while most AAA studio games will permanently drop in price (Ubisoft is a great example of a studio who sells their games for $80-120 CAD, only to reduce them to $30 a year or two later), Nintendo games hold their MSRP while occasionally going on sale. You just have to be vigilant for sales.

In a certain way, this is similar to one of the reasons I don’t really like XCOM: the characters. I play very few, to no, games where the heroes are part of some sort of military industrial complex. I have in the past but grew steadily disinterested in them over time. So games with soldiers as heroes struggle to attract my interest.

2 Likes

I’ve been researching games that start with X and there’s only like 30. That can’t be right. I did find a Xena game though and I’m very intrigued. I love that show. Starting to look like I’ll need to play Xenoblade Chronicles as well to get my X game.

3 Likes

I really like Xenoblade Chronicles. If you haven’t played the first one, I recommend it. I had a ton of fun playing it. It’s not without it’s problems, but it’s a great epic JRPG.

2 Likes

I’ve started it twice, got distracted, and then something would happen where I’d have to drop it. What little I’ve played I’ve really enjoyed. I even have both the original and the remaster so I’ve bought it twice. :sob:

2 Likes

This is sort of what happened to me with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last year. I started it on 3 August, and then seven days later I bought BG3 and never looked back, lol.

2 Likes

As a huge fangirl:

The nice part of XCOM is that it allows you to name your characters and personalize them greatly. After you managed to have them barely survive a few times they grow on you not as a soldier someone else made/random military people, but as YOUR soldier. Losing one of them really hurts and you remember their names and stories for a long time. Helps that you have a graveyard in your base. Like Mrs Marple who saved my whole game by nailing even the impossible shots 12 times in a row when she was the last soldier standing.

I played Gears Tactics and although they did a good job with the XCOM formula, just being presented with premade and prenamed characters took this feeling of “this next fight is personal” and how dare you aliens killed <insert your favorite soldier’s name here> !" completely away. That’s a huge loss.

For the Marvel game… you know non of these charecters is actually going to die or if they do there is another one in the next dimension and you can pretend it didn’t happen. I still feel anger that my soldier I made look like Mad Max died because a street lamp fell on him in the last 3 seconds of a level.

But that attachment to your soldiers isn’t there from the beginning in XCOM games, it needs time to grow and not everyone wants to play the game with perma death either, so that the stakes are high enough. I understand that.

4 Likes

I understand, and that does sound like an interesting dimension. I just really don’t have any love for things like the military, so I find anything military themed things kind of hard to get into.

4 Likes