Alphabet Backlog Challenge

Right now I’m working on finishing Star Ocean and FFVII Rebirth, which will gain me one more letter since I already have an S game in there. Last night I got Family Sharing enabled on the Steam Deck so I was exploring my library. I started playing Zodiacats, which seems to be a fun, chill puzzle game, and What Remains of Edith Finch which is a walking simulator that’s been fun so far. Those should add two more letters for me.

I made a dedicated shelf and assigned a game to each letter but I’m much too moody of a gamer to stick with it. I like making lists more than sticking with them.

1 Like

This sounds fun, I’ll join in though I’m very far away from completing this challenge. I’ve mostly played some practically infinite games like FFXIV or Eternal, but I’ll add them all here.

• A - Alan Wake 2

• B

• C

• D

• E - Eternal

• F - Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XVI

• G - Galactic Civilizations IV

• H

• I

• J

• K

• L

• M

• N

• O

• P

• Q

• R

• S - Shadowverse

• T

• U

• V

• W

• X

• Y

• Z

3 Likes

I’m starting to worry I’m never going to add another game to my list because I’m never going to stop playing Dragon’s Dogma II, lol!

4 Likes

It’d be super funny if it was the only game on your list, hahaha. Honestly it’s great to find a game that’s got you that hooked. Glad to hear you’re having fun.

2 Likes

Just change your list accordingly lol.

A- Adragon’s Dogma
B- Bragon’s Dogma
C-Cragon’s Crogma
E-Eragon’s Eroge
F - Fragon’s Frogma

Etc etc etc lol

7 Likes

I was going to just not count games I’ve already played to challenge myself…but then I decided that was dumb. Numbers might be overambitious. we will see lol.

• A - Assassin’s Creed (100%'d)

• B - Balan Wonderworld

• C - Citizen Sleeper

• D - Dragonball Z Kakarot (Plus DLC)

• E - Evil West

• F - Fallout 76

• G - **

• H - Hat In Time (Plus DLC)

• I -**

• J -**

• K - Kids Next Door: Operation Soda

• L -**

• M - Mafia Definitive Ed

• N - **

• O - **

• P - Part-Time UFO

• Q - **

• R -**

• S -SSX 2012

• T -**

• V -**

• W - What Remains of Edith Finch

• X -**

• Y - **

• Z -**

• 1 -**

• 2 -**

• 3 -**

• 4 -**

• 5 -**

• 6 -**

• 7 -**

• 8 -**

• 9 -**

• !?$ -**

2 Likes

Is Anarcute fun? I’m curious about it but never quite bite the bullet to check it out even though it goes on sale pretty frequently.

1 Like

Its fun, but in short doses. I reviewed it a month or two ago. I really liked it overall, reminds me of Da Blob in several ways.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, I’ll go look your review up.

2 Likes

M is for Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time!

While it does feature the goofy script and colorful characters the series is known for, something like 90% of the game is pure dungeon crawling. It’s well-executed stuff, with 4-character combat that makes good use of the DS’s extra buttons, and breezy puzzle platforming that often splits your party across the DS’s two screens. But the balance between story and action is just a little off the mark from what I’m looking for in these games, and the combat doesn’t evolve enough to keep things fresh across the back half.

1 Like

This challenge works really well for me. Not only is it a help to decide what I want to play (oh look a letter I do not have an entry for yet) but also to allow myself to put a game away. Somehow being able to write it on my list still feels like I accomplished something and if it is just realizing I can’t play this at all / any longer.

5 Likes

@BMO

Did you edit my alphabet games to include Viewfinder on accident? I was so confused about when I started Viewfinder lmao

1 Like

Whoops, I did. I thought I was on my post when I was editing. Apologies, I removed the edit. I think it’s because your post and mine are back-to-back and I was on mobile where I couldn’t see the full list on screen.

2 Likes

This is all a ruse to get me to play Viewfinder. :joy:

4 Likes

How timely that I spot this thread now as I’ve just finished Assassin’s Creed Black Flag and Berserk Boy!

I’ll start my “year” now and see how far i get. This could be a good way to help me discover some games I wouldn’t have otherwise. Great idea.

A: Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
B: Berserk Boy
C: Chrono Cross
D: Dredge
E:
F:
G: Gravity Circuit
H:
I:
J:
K: Kena: Bridge of Spirits (currently playing)
L: Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (currently playing)
M:
N:
O: Ori and the Blind Forest (currently playing)
P:
Q:
R: Radical Dreamers
S: SteamWorld Dig 2
T: Tetris Effect
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Z:

3 Likes

July Update

I’ve made a lot more progress on my challenge. I still keep choosing S and L games instead of knocking out more letters though. I love impeding myself. :upside_down_face:

My biggest goals are finishing Star Ocean and FFVII Rebirth. My new PC setup requires me to purchase new cables or consider moving my PS5 to the living room, so I haven’t played either of them in several weeks. I’m probably going to just move it to the living room as I’ve been wanting to spend more time away from my desk recently anyway.

4 Likes

My year long challenge is likely in jeopardy if i keep playing big JRPGs…

But ive never played a Ys game and in the spirit of this challenge I thought id try Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Im having a good time.

5 Likes

I similarly pick too many S and L games :joy:

4 Likes

I played a bit of that on Game Pass a while back and liked it. I have been meaning to actually commit to a full run of the game.

3 Likes