Your favourite video game music

That’s amazing! Like the others said, the price is a little much, but the concept is awesome

I listen to whole osts. And i’d say my favorites are Transistor and both NieR games

2 Likes

I love Transistor’s OST. I listen to it a lot even though it’s been years since I played it. It’s really good music.

Other video game music I like a lot include Mass Effect --not every song is good, but many of them bring me warm memories of fighting for the galaxy alongside my companions-- and C&C Red Alert 2 --really funky upbeat techno; Hell March gets me pumped up every time.

3 Likes

Playing Nier: Automata right now, the game is incredible, and the soundtrack is amazing!

1 Like

I too love Battlefield 1 music.

The original GTA San Andreas has to be added my OST favs. Too many things are good in it. Ever since GTA2… the series has basically been a bunch of mix tapes (not ‘Original’ ST) But the stuff they did with SA is a great sampler of a lot of old stuff you simply dont hear anywhere else. And it’s thematically and conceptually more in tandem with the world than other music radio installments in the series. That New Jack Swing is especially nutty and fits in too well with the wackiness of this over the top world

Snatcher and MG2: Solid Snake… two great MSX2 soundtracks that kojima fans should check out. (I failed to mention these in my last post)

I dug up this old zyrinx stuff, havent played them but they are beautiful demonstrations of the Sega Genesis… a system i dont typically like but often there are examples that raise my eyebrows. Jespyr Kyd got started in demoscene (I have a few original midi fils such as ‘city night’… he was always really really good) and this is supposeldy how he got started making VG music, through this demoscene group turned developer. (a story sounds similiar to straylight productions)

this is worth a watch:
DR. WILYS CASTLE / MEGA MAN 2 played on MODULIN

Guys, Wintergatan is my favourite band (alongside Detektivbyran, Martin Molin’s previous band). You really should check it out.

3 Likes

I think you are the first person I’ve ever met who knows who Detektivbyrån are, that is really cool, love their music. However, as I am terrible at keeping up with whatever new things bands I like make, I had not heard about Wintergatan, so I am definitely checking those out, thanks :smiley:

1 Like

I’m terrible as well. I first listened to Detektivbyran probably about 7 years ago and was very sad when I learned that they broke up (I seem to discover new bands right when then don’t do any more music… bummer). And even though Wintergatan is around since 2013, I only learned about them via the Marble Machine video.

Yup. Probably one of the most immaculately produced sountracks in existence

3 Likes

Cally’s Caves 3. I listen to it when working out, it’s just perfect for that:

2 Likes

So many songs here but not a single one can bring the goosebumps and hype for me as this one did in my childhood and in the present/future.

2 Likes

December Soundtrack

1 Like

Sega have always done great soundtracks. Anything Sonic or Phantasy Star Online. So good.

The Persona games too.
Square enix and Nintendo too.

Now I want to fire up my playlist and see!

1 Like

For me, Transistor, without doubt!

I would also like to mention:

• Life Is Strange
  • The Last of Us
  • Hotline Miami
1 Like

I almost posted in free games and promotions but this isn’t a game.

Free Final Fantasy XV Soundtrack: https://www.gamestop.com/collection/final-fantasy-xv

1 Like

I always loved Castelvania music. But from the recent explorations:

• Hyper Light Drifter
  • Shovel Knight
  • Terraria
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer

Those are quite obvious choices :slight_smile: Very action-based gamer.

Right now I’m really enjoying the soundtrack to this little indie game, Where the Water taste like Wine. My other favorites are Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2, Uncharted 3, & the AC 4 sea shanties if those count.

2 Likes

The Metroid Prime soundtrack is my all-time favorite. I love the way that music almost becomes a secondary character in the game. You’re just so isolated, and the compositions have so much character. They tell you so much about every space you explore. It’s like having a Navi-type companion on your shoulder.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting! I feel the same as you: while I enjoy “real” artists, I have always been moved by video game music. I think music is one of the main factors in a game. Music is part of what allow games to do what they do. If it’s done well, and if it matches the tone and character of the game or scene, then music can make a space within the game for us to inhabit. A lot of people talk about the intractability as the reason we get so attached to games, but I think true interaction is made possible through music. It puts us into an artistic mode so that we can think with more of our selves than our rational mind. Without music, we would just be watching visuals and pushing buttons.

A few good picks for me are:

• Persona 5, especially “Rivers in a Desert.” The lyrics here are really cool.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles. There are few songs on Bionis that aren’t perfectly matched with the area.
  • Xenogears, especially “Ship of Sleep and Regret.”
  • Ni no Kuni (I and II), the world map music, but, really, it’s all great.
  • Bravely Default, especially “Land of Immortality.”
  • Child of Light
  • Journey
1 Like