Your favourite video game music

Nice lists I see here.

I love that song that plays in the beginning of Fallout 3 and the music in Brutal Legend is pretty good too.

Hey all!

Just found this thread and wanted to share something that you guys might find enjoyable! I got the okay from Peter, in case anyone is concerned. He is welcome to delete this in the event that he changes his mind :slight_smile:

I’ll share the good stuff first so if you don’t care about the story, you don’t have to sift through :wink:

http://www.gamemp3s.net/

Maybe some already know about it, but in case you don’t, here you go! If you are into Video Game music, this is a great source. They started as an IRC channel back in 2000, and they are still releasing pretty much whatever their small group can get their hands on. They’ve never really been into the huge bulk of Bemani though (DDR, Guitar Freaks, Beatmania, etc), so if that’s your thing, you’re out of luck, I guess.

I was pretty heavily involved with them as an FTP mirror somewhere around '01-'04. I check back in every couple years to see who is still around and have semi-recently caught myself back up on all of the downloads. Unfortunately though, I don’t really listen to any of it as much as I should :stuck_out_tongue: There were/are some great people involved, and a few of them are actually still kicking around in the channel. Their focus has always been quality and organization. There is always a “liner” .nfo with information about the album. “Quality” has changed over the years (especially back in the early '00s as mp3 technology evolved), but they have generally always used a high quality VBR compression method to maintain as much fidelity as each track needs without using up your entire hard drive on uncompressed/FLAC files.

According to my current directory stats, they are at approximately 850 soundtracks. 160+GB. 38,000+ tracks. A lot of the older releases have been compiled into bulk torrents, which may be a little annoying, but they also can’t just have each release sitting individually on the trackers forever. If I recall correctly, they aren’t zipped or anything, so you can just “skip” whatever you don’t want in the torrent.

Aaaaand, on topic, some of my favorites (that you can also find in these releases) are the orchestral/remix albums from years back:

Game Music Concert Series
Akumajo Dracula (Castlevania) rock arrangements
Final Fantasy piano/orchestral arrangements
The Black Mages (Nobuo Uematsu’s Final Fantasy rock cover band)

Now that I’m actually looking through my folder, I don’t seem to see many of these albums I expect to find. I thought I had everything, but it looks like I need to take another check… According to my current directory stats, I have approximately 850 soundtracks. 160+GB. 38,000+ tracks. Gonna go dig into how that matches up with the site…

Anyways, enjoy!

edit:
"total albums released: 1615"
Hm, yeah, I guess I’m not as complete as I thought. Weird…

edit2:
I’m actually missing all of the lettered archives. Oops! No wonder I can’t find the albums I liked; they would have totally been in those pre-2007 packs. Time to see if my hard drive can handle me actually being caught up!

2 Likes

Here is another helpful link:

Spotify Gaming

Spotify has launched a gaming specific portal, that includes links to curated playlists and Game OSTs. Enjoy!

1 Like

@bmo You would beat me to that :stuck_out_tongue: I was coming to post about it right now, and here you are.

Awesome, I love that Spotify gaming portal. The RetroWave/Outrun playlist is my fave :smile:

Somehow I can’t really get into modern videogame music, here are a few of my favorite soundtracks:

Pretty much everything Koshiro did back in the day, but especially Revenge of Shinobi and SOR because I’m a Sega fanboy :wink:

All the music on those old Sega Super Scaler games like After Burner, Space Harrier, Thunder Blade Out Run and Space Harrier. And Galaxy Force! Oh my god, that whole soundtrack was so out there. I refuse to believe there is anything else like it :sweat_smile:

The ToeJam & Earl series. Can’t really remember the third, but the music of the first game was wicked.

Street Fighter 2, Blanka’s stage. Memorable because I would just sit in a corner and repeatedly hit the punch button whilst listening to the music. And win, too :grin:

Strider soundtrack, the original arcade version. I think Capcom also released arranged versions of a few of those tracks on CD, too bad they’re too expensive for mortals nowadays.

I was just chatting with a buddy of mine of how I used to record video game music on tape back in the day and give each track a name. Oh, the good old days :joy:

Has anyone posted the Axiom Verge soundtrack? Great soundtrack. Lots of obvious nods to Metroid, but stellar in its own right.

Trace Awakens

1 Like

Time to revive this thread. What you guys been listening to/reccomend?

So, I ‘came across’ a large amount of PSX stuff. I have very little XP with this system (but got real curious after MSG and RE) I knew about the redbook audio somehow, and i’ve been ripping discs as i go through and sort stuff. What are some of the better soundtracks for PSX? I really do like this era of 90’s techno/rave and some of the stuff on PSX is quite good. My favorite so far is the wipeout soundtracks, in general it seems that racing games have the better luck of the draw.

I recently discovered something kinda cool through archive.org (that’s a great place to look for old stuff just FYI) called Zuntata, which was Taito’s resident sound team that would make music for their arcade machines (they’d release this through the Zuntata entity.) There’s probably a rich history of arcade machine soundtracks that i dont know about.

PC enginge/turbografx CD is a fantastic system for soundstracks, and there is a wide variety of style. Dungeon Explorers is my favorite and its rezzy warbly C64 type sounding material… Yet The original river city ransom (and many other games) are completely Redbook audio with rock or other music. The amiga is also cool (and had some great sound hardware)

I discovered a really cool program called paulstretch. The Deus Ex soundtrakc is something else. Experimentation is reccomended if you like vaporwave or ambient. someone had a channel on youtube of unatco slowed down 10x in it but the whole soundtrack lends itself rather well to this gimmick.

and speaking of deus ex. a creative psytrance artist has made some pretty cool things of straylight productions soundtracks… arguably the best remixes of this stuff out there. (Haven’t seen something like this since Cybernetika’s Med-Sci)

if you like videogame remix artists who woudl you reccomend? I was a big fan of TAE K. he did some actually decent gangster rap remixes of nes stuff mostly megaman, and it’s been a while since i’ve listened to chiptune but sabrepulse was my favorite

Shadow of the Colossus HANDS DOWN NO OTHER OST CAN COMPARE!!!

2 Likes

Dude totally agree, great picks playing through Mother 3 right now SO GOOD!

Ok, I know @Torgo was likely referencing the original Doom when he listed it a while back, so it appears that no one has posted the Doom 2016 sound track. Which is tragic. Allow me to fix that with the track BFG Division:

1 Like

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. If you have played the game you know how impactful the soundtrack can be. It is a very beautiful, very emotional set of compositions:

I definitely can’t leave out what might be the best soundtrack of the year so far (to go along with what might likely be game of the year):

1 Like

Epically epic just like the game

1 Like

I don’t listen to a ton of video game music outside of when I’m playing, but there are a few exceptions.

I love the Jet Set Radio soundtrack:

And I didn’t realize that my other two favorites rhymed until I typed this, but I own the Fez and Rez soundtracks on vinyl… not because I’m an audio snob, but because the packaging is so pretty. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I find it a bit odd that we’re having a discussion on video game music and Overclocked Remix still hasn’t been mentioned. It is still probably one of the biggest sources for me when it comes to discovering new music. I listen to everything they put out, and download everything I really like. So far I think my collection is 1000+ songs large. Some honourable mentions:

• Beyond Midgard - probably my favourite remix of all time
  • Faster than Rock - this made me buy the FTL soundtrack
  • Cancer - this is the most earily metroid remixes ever, be aware it might kill your speakers

The site obviously has everything from Kirby metal to soothing Zelda Jazz to Bastion a cappella, and much more.

I don’t know if this would totally ruin it for you, but Brandon Strader (the remix god) made a remix of this with vocals by Cheryl Norfair called Embrace the Night, it was originally an OCRemix track, but for some reason I can’t find it there anymore.

Anyway, I obviously also listen to a lot a video game music. Some of my favourites are

• Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 1
  • Transistor
  • NieR and NieR: Automata (got the CD shipped from Japan in the mail today :smiley:)
  • Luftrausers - I don’t think this has been mentioned yet, but it is the perfect get hype soundtrack
  • Doom (4)
  • The Metal Gear Solid series has some solid (hurhur) music
  • Undertale - but I think I prefer the Determination remix album
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer - also known as everything Danny Baranowsky makes

It is way too hard to make a list, for every game I put on here, at least 10 more come to mind, I have to control myself. OK, just one more

I love the Axiom Verge soundtrack, think my favourite track is Inexorable.

And who can forget the Cave Story Main Theme… dudu dudu dudu dudu dudu dudu dudu dudurudu

1 Like

I love Journey classical music, it’s my relaxation time in work.
The same artist made funny piano music for Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine.
They’re on Spotify.

I posted the following on the main site, but I think it best to try to get this to as many eyes as possible given the limited edition nature of this release. I apologize if you’ve seen this twice, but if this reaches at least one Persona fan that will be interested in this vinyl release I’ve done my civic duty :wink:

enter image description here

iam8bit is releasing the Persona 5 soundtrack on Vinyl. Pre-orders start today at 10am PST. You can check out the details on their site. Here is the text from the pre-order page. I wouldn’t normally quote the full description here on Grouvee, because doing so risks resembling spam, but I think fans need to know what exactly is on offer because this is likely going to be popular and it is going to be a limited pressing. I also don’t benefit from this, so this isn’t a sneaky product plug. I simply think this is something that some people will really want to pick up:

Persona 5 is a massive and epic opus of a game - the kind of 100-hour-plus JRPG journey that it is impossible to peel away from.

The soundtrack is equally epic, featuring hours of jazzy, poppy, energetic musical magic that you’ll find yourself unconsciously whistling throughout the day. From upbeat vocally-driven songs (many featuring the incomparable throaty gusto of Japanese soul singer, Lyn Inaizumi) to more contemplative, instrumental riffs - it’s an impressive ensemble of tunes.

Quite simply, Persona 5 is one of our favorite videogame soundtracks to date.

We’re so proud to be releasing the Persona 5 soundtrack that, together with Atlus and SEGA, we decided to do something a rather radical - we’re going to document and share the entire process of creating a vinyl album with Persona 5 fans, from start to finish.

Fans will be given a rare peek behind-the-scenes - via video, photos and interviews - showcasing every detail involved in making a record. This includes:

Mastering - We’ll visit our favorite mastering studio, Infrasonic, and chronicle how music is mixed for the retro technology that is vinyl
Test Presses - We’ll show you what it’s like to create lacquers & test presses, which serve as benchmark for the vinyl’s audio quality
Vinyl Production - We’ll hang with our friends from Noiseland at their factory in France, capturing the analog magic of melting “wax” and stamping records. It’s pretty crazy to see, because some of these machines are nearly 100 years old!
Packaging - We’ll reveal just how much work goes into creating a unique packaging experience, from design to printing to assembly
And then finally…

Artwork - We’ll reveal the “Mystery Album Art,” the result of an intimate collaboration between iam8bit, Atlus, SEGA and a to be announced, top secret artist :wink:
This making-of adventure will take many months, with albums shipping in Q4 2017, in time for the holidays.

Please note: because we’re involving you in the production process, you’re literally coming along for the ride with us. You’ll receive production updates approximately once a month until your order ships. We’ll even have some fun surprises along the way! This is gonna be fun!

@Peter, @kristinthefox, @SuperEffective, @tylerisrandom, this is for you. If I have missed any Persona super-fans, I apologize.

3 Likes

That is super cool! Not sure I can justify the price (I adore Persona music in-game but it loses something for me outside of that context), but I’m sure I’ll be jealous of those who order it once I see the final packaging!

1 Like

I’m curious to see what the final will look like.

iam8bit produces some amazing vinyl, but I can never really justify it either. The shipping to countries outside the US is almost the same price as the album itself. But they are very cool.

Probably Super Mario 64’s soundtrack would be my favourite.

Need For Speed Underground’s soundtrack was also really good