What Is Retro?

Retro Gamer magazine says it has to be at least 10 years old to be considered retro. The Retro Hour podcast says 20 years. What does the Grouvee community think?

2 Likes

Twenty years is generally considered retro or classic in most media discourse circles, be it music, film, TV, games, etc… I’d say twenty.

4 Likes

I have a more subjective definition of “retro” in my head. Basically, all the things that were around until I was a fully-formed human. Generationally speaking, N64-PS1 are retro in my head, GC-PS2 are not. GBA lives in a intermediate space.

If someone tells me Wii is considered retro, then I’m retro as well.

3 Likes

That’s the thing. We are all eventually retro :wink:

6 Likes

20 years is the typical number I see thrown around.

If going by what I think of as retro in my head, the first through sixth console generations are what feels retro to me. I start to fear for my mortal soul once things like The Last of Us, Skyrim, and GTA 5 are called retro…

4 Likes

oh god…2013 was retro. I remember that year so well, no way it’s 10 years ago…

I don’t want to live in a world where this is retro…

3 Likes

that’s horrifying…I’m getting an existential crisis from a fucking video game website, of all things! damn…

4 Likes

Twenty years certainly makes me feel better than ten lol.

I always think about this with kids at school who never used a CD player and call it old school… Or when Louis Vuitton weasels out of doing something custom for their brand ambassadors at the Met Gala and sends them out in something “archival” but it’s like, three years old. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

For sanity’s sake of a lot of us here, I don’t think we want an honest answer to this. Some questions are better left unanswered. lol

4 Likes

N64-PS1 are retro in my head,

Jeez, what is Master System or Amega then? Prehistoric? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll disclose that the first console I ever saw in my life was a NES, and it was during the SNES generation; videogames barely existed where I lived before that. Some of the 80’s consoles, I learnt about them from magazines or websites decades later, not even retro but like creatures from legends or myths.

5 Likes

I totally get that. I look at something like the Coleco and think “how did people even play that?” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh man, the Collecovision Ghostbusters game was amazing!

3 Likes

Never played that version, but LOVE the SMS release.

3 Likes

So there are a few versions. All I know is the NES one is the worst. I recall the Collecovision one being better. The SMS one might be the same as that, the better one.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t base retro video games based on a number of years. Instead, I think that considering console generations is the best. Generally, 3 console generations back is what I would consider retro. Since we have entered the Xbox Series, PS5, and Switch era (though Switch has been around for a long time) I would say that OG Xbox, PS2, GBA, GameCube, and Dreamcast are the “newest” of the retro games. This may get muddied when considering PC games, but you can just look at release dates and see if they came out around the time of the above consoles.

4 Likes

Two generations typically align with twenty years or so, and I do think the most recent retro inductees are the sixth generation because we only just started the ninth generation, and there is some overlap because each generation isn’t exactly a decade. So we will hit a point where we are still in the ninth generation but the seventh generation will be inducted into the retro category.

3 Likes

So the SMS one has better graphics (probably obvious) but may have added stuff. I couldn’t find a video that showed the whole of the Coleco version, but the SMS adds levels after the Marshmallow Man (where David Crain’s original ended) where you have to ascend the stairs in Diana’s hotel and then actually fight Gozer (called “Gorzer” in the bad translation job).

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I just looked at the screens. The SMS version was amazing. One friend had the Colecovision version and one had the SMS version. Although the Colecovision one was the first I played, it was the SMS version I liked most. It was good!

4 Likes

Wait y’all, we did this wrong.

A: YR MOM

~Fin~

4 Likes