What are your top 5 albums of all time?

Hi y’all. as the title says, what are your top 5 favourite/best albums? I’ll start
1- Pearl Jam - Ten
2-Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3-Radiohead - Kid A
4-Megadeth - Rust in Peace
5-Black Sabbath - Paranoid.
At least that’s what they are at the moment. Excited to hear yours!

8 Likes

CDs are no longer a thing (or maybe they still are but no longer purchase them) but I still have these in my physical collections and are in Spotify.

• Shades of Purple - M2M
  • Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
  • Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die! - Panic! At the Disco
  • No Strings Attached - NSync
  • Here We Come - A1

Honorable Mention:
  • The Sickness - Disturbed
5 Likes

This is super hard but I’ll try.

1. The Most Serene Republic - Phages
  2. Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
  3. Missy Elliott - Under Construction
  4. Stevie Nicks - Trouble in Shangri-la
  5. This can be a swing spot between FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears OSTs

Honorable mentions:
Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors
Shawnna - Worth Tha Weight
Panic at the Disco - A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel the Illinoise
The Postal Service
The Most Serene Republic - Underwater Cinematographer
Fiona Apple
Case/Lang/Veirs

At one point I would have said The Long Winters’ Putting the Days to Bed, but after the bean dad bullshit and all his past fuckwittery came to light, I’ll pass.

Jeeze. I’ll probably change this but that’s it for now off the top of my head.

7 Likes

Wow. We have completely different tastes judging by your choices, yet I somehow still think you have good taste. Cheers.

3 Likes

To be fair, Pretty Hate Machine is tied with Paranoid on that list

2 Likes

It is really hard for me to come up with whole albums. I usually like one or two songs of each, but not everything. It is also hard to do the “most favorite” thing, but I can do the “this album had a huge impact on my life at one time and stays therefore in my playlist forever”:

1. Relish - Joan Osborne
  2. 21 - Adele
  3. The Final Countdown - Europe
  4. American IV: The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash
  5. This is Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
4 Likes

Very difficult to pick just 5 without feeling I’m leaving something out! But here’s 5 of my favorites:

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
  2. Radiohead - OK Computer
  3. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
  4. Belle and Sebastian - If You’re Feeling Sinister
  5. David Bowie - Low
6 Likes

Aeroplane and Strawberry Jam are up there for me too.

4 Likes

I forgot The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, that might replace my 4.
Garbage’s first album and Version 2.0 are up there.
I feel like there’s a lot more indie stuff I wore out in the aughts that I just can’t remember now. This is like an impossible task for me lol.

4 Likes

I can’t answer this question because I find it impossible to narrow down, but I’m loving your choices!

4 Likes

You would, two Canadians in the top five! :yum:

3 Likes

This was so tough…

1. Tool - 10,000 Days
  2. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
  3. Death Grips - The Powers That B
  4. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
  5. Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light

Bonus:
6. Radiohead - Kid A

Other albums I want to put on the list but can’t fit (sorry there are a bunch):
Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
David Bowie - Blackstar
Death Grips - The Money Store
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
Frank Ocean - Blonde
fun. - Some Nights
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Gojira - Magma
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Morningrise
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Animals
Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind
The Weeknd - Trilogy (House of Balloons if I had to pick though I think of em as a single album)
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Aenima

7 Likes

Lots of great picks. The Powers That B, Jenny Death in particular, is really up there for me.

3 Likes

INTERESTING that 10,000 Days made the list but Lateralus and Aenima were sidelined. TELL ME WHY! :smile:

3 Likes

That was a really hard decision to make, as depending on the day any of those three could be there! I knew it’d be a little bit of a hot take. I just think 10,000 Days really hits a bit better lyrically for me throughout and has a really strong atmosphere, if that makes sense. There’s an interesting mix of emotional and cynical existential gloom that I really love across the tracklist.

4 Likes

Interesting. I thought it wasn’t as catchy as the other two, which is a funny way to describe Tool, but just not as interesting. But like, Ænema and, we’ll call it “Hw/aP,” Lateralus, Schism, et al, go hard. I just found 10,000 Days really boring, maybe I should give it a second chance. Also, TIL I learned they released an album in 2019, guess I missed that.

2 Likes

I’m definitely kind of divided on Fear Inoculum, the 2019 album. It feels a little bit like a monkey’s paw kind of thing, because I wanted a new album from them for so long and I also love their long tracks a lot typically. The new album delivers on both of those, the latter in spades, but everything kind of felt just okay to me, which is unusual for Tool. There’s a lot less bite in Fear Inoculum and instrumentally the tracks feel a bit samey for me. Definitely worth checking out though.

I was sitting here wondering what “Hw/aP” stood for for a while and then it hit me, lol. Yeah that’s a great track. I love the weirdness across all of Aenima, especially in the odd segue tracks.

3 Likes

I only found this out earlier this year, and I quite like it. I expected to be disappointed but was very surprised.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve re-listened to 10,000 Days and listened to the newest album. And yeah, it just doesn’t do it for me. Nothing’s really interesting or catchy, it’s all just kind of mid and boring. It’s like they checked all the Tool formula boxes and called it a day.

2 Likes

5.Fiona Apple- The Idler Wheel…
4.Frank Ocean- Channel Orange
3.Daft Punk- Discovery
2.Stevie Wonder- Songs in the Key of Life
1.Brian Wilson- SMiLE

7 Likes