What are your top 5 albums of all time?

Not necessarily asking for a ranking of their albums, but I’m curious if you’d put it alongside their others in terms of your enjoyment of it. I liked it also, but it felt as though it fell short of their previous work for me. It could be a symptom of overhyping it in my head or something, as I’m sure many people did.

2 Likes

Ooh nice picks! I haven’t listened to 1 or 5, though I did listen to a couple tracks from Fetch the Bolt Cutters back when that came out. I’ve been feeling like I should give it another chance or something.

3 Likes

I don’t really enjoy 10,000 Days that much but I do think the newest album is as good as Lateralus. They both give me the feeling of a cohesive story told through melody. I’ve always found 10,000 Days listenable but not as affective.

2 Likes

I like it as much as Lateralus. Both feel like the strongest conceptual wholes to me. I like Undertow, Ænima, and 10,000 Days well enough but Lateralus was always my favourite album. It was the one that i connected with affectually. For some reason Fear Inoculum feels the same way to me. It instantly transported me back to my late teens/early twenties but still felt new and not just a rehash. It feels true to Tool while also reflective of the passage of years. I find that few bands can release a new album after more than a decade that still seems true to their creative work while also not being a play on nostalgia. I feel Fear Inoculum achieved that for me.

3 Likes

That’s really awesome that you connected to it like that. I totally agree it has the most in common with Lateralus in terms of themes and …vibe, I guess. Sorta like being lost in an alternate dimension. Many of their albums sorta feel like that for me, but those two have similar “dimensions,” haha.

3 Likes

Brian Wilson is a GOAT for sure! (hehe)

5 Likes

Well, one thing I was not expecting to learn this week is that MJK is a gun loving, copfucking, “I’m not religious I’m spiritual,” military apologist. Interesting.

2 Likes

Uhhhhhh…I like music! It’s Gonna take me some serious thought for this one.

4 Likes

I like your taste in music.

3 Likes

Who’s taste do you mean?

1 Like

Yours, of course. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

In that case, thanks. I didn’t want to sound full of myself and respond without checking you didn’t mean someone else. :sunglasses:

1 Like
  1. Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91: The Enemy Strikes Black
  2. Pearl Jam - Ten
  3. The Lemonheads - It’s a Shame About Ray
  4. Slipknot - Vol. 3: Sublimal Verses
  5. US3 - Hand on the Torch
6 Likes
  1. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
  2. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
  3. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
  4. Pantera - Reinventing the Steel
  5. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

…I like Pantera. :joy:

5 Likes

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Elliott Smith - S/T
Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
King Crimson - Red
Aphex Twin - Drukqs

4 Likes

the last reply was months ago, buuuuuuuuuut…

1. Watch As I Perform My Own Tracheotomy - Talkshow Boy
  2. Self Titled - Mr. Bungle
  3. any Lemon Demon album
  4. Preacher’s Daughter - Ethel Cain
  5. Committed To A Bright Future - Dog Fashion Disco

this was so hard, so heres all of my fav albums (there’s a lot);

• IGOR - Tyler, The Creator
  • April Fools - The Scary Jokes
  • Burn Pygmalion - The Scary Jokes
  • Bad At Math - The Scary Jokes
  • Who Will Cut Our Hair When We’re Gone? - The Unicorns
  • any album by Black Dresses (i have a special fondness for Peaceful As Hell, Wasteisolation and LAUGHINGFISH though)
  • Reddishness - Girls Rituals
  • UGLY DEATH NO REDEMPTION ANGEL CURSE I LOVE YOU - Ada Rook
  • Mark Of The Mole - The Residents
  • Third Reich and Roll - The Residents
  • Inbred - Ethel Cain
  • Call Me If You Get Lost - Tyler, The Creator
  • Tallahassee - The Mountain Goats
  • Self Titled - Darth Vegas
  • Disco Volante - Mr. Bungle
  • Anarchists Of Good Taste - Dog Fashion Disco
  • Adultery - Dog Fashion Disco
  • Sweet Nothings - Dog Fashion Disco
  • He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms - A Silver Mt. Zion
  • Achievement - Pilotredsun
  • Flow - Foetus
  • The Money Store - Death Grips
  • Ex-Military - Death Grips
  • The 2 Cent Show - Steam Powered Giraffe
  • 1896 - Steam Powered Giraffe
  • Rogue Taxidermy - Days N’ Daze
  • Humid Teenage Mediocrity - Jack Off Jill
  • Self Titled - Korn
  • When The Kite String Pops - Acid Bath
  • Paegan Terrorism Tactics - Acid Bath
  • Femina Ridens soundtrack - Stelvio Cipriani
  • Freshman Year - Hop Along
  • Trick - Alex G
  • 3 - Mom
  • The Heart Goes To Heaven, The Head Goes To Hell - That Handsome Devil
  • Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest
  • How To Leave Town - Car Seat Headrest
  • The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
  • Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
  • Enjoy Yourself - Melted Bodies
  • any album by Siouxsie and The Banshees
  • Almost Famous - Slutever
  • Penis Envy - Crass
  • Remain In Light - Talking Heads
  • Speaking In Tongues - Talking Heads
  • Frizzle Fry - Primus
  • Self Titled - Stomach Book
  • any album by Machine Girl
  • any album by Oingo Boingo
  • any album by Jack Stauber
  • For God’s Sake, Stop The Feces! - Napoleon XIV
  • Testosterone - Talkshow Boy
  • Best Beast Ever - Talkshow Boy
2 Likes

Holy shit, you have good taste in NIN albums. Personally I prefer Year Zero or With Teeth to the Downward Spiral, but still, good taste you have regardless

3 Likes

OHH THATS SO REAL… i loved those albums but i am most definitely due for a relisten. it’s been about a year, haha.

i think the first two albums are masterpieces, though! i think once i start getting back into nine inch nails for real ill have the same opinion about the rest of their work- it’s so good, so yummy, ugh! i heart industrial music.

by the by, if you like nine inch nails, you’d like jesus loves junkies. they’re inspired by nine inch nails and marilyn manson, but they’re their own thing and it’s SO good. they also had one of their songs featured on Music To Go Postal To! said song is from their (if i remember correctly) final album, The Great Escape From Paradise, a concept album about humans against machines, and the machines are winning.

smiles!

2 Likes