What are you listening to right now?

Thanks for shouting this out. I like Animal Collective, but would’ve missed this release if you hadn’t posted. Too much music for my 33 year old brain to keep up with.

Very cool release. A bit noodlier than most post Strawberry Jam Animal Collective, but I love it. It is almost like lounge Animal Collective. I thought Time Skiffs was a step back in the right direction for the band, but this is a step in an interesting new direction.

2 Likes

They kind of dropped it without much warning, so I think I’m lucky I had come across the lead singles for it beforehand. I think the direction is very interesting, they’re playing with the most standard jam rock rhythms I’ve ever heard them use, but at the same time they put them towards some pretty experimental compositions. Overall, I do enjoy the record, but I’m always more of a fan of the more unhinged AnCo albums like Strawberry Jam and even Centipede Hz rather than the sleepier ones.

2 Likes

Just wanted to put this out there as I recently came across this on a separate forum. I’ve listened to two albums I wouldn’t have searched for otherwise and it’s been a nice surprise so far.

2 Likes

I love this! Definitely gonna try to do it for a bit. Started off with a Jefferson Airplane record, which is a good example of a band I know but I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to listen to their records.

Very cool. I’ll give this a try. I wonder how Top 40 or Billboard rating driven this is.

So I have gotten hit with an album by Bob Marley, Crosby, Stills & Nash and today, Iron Maiden. All have been interesting and I guess after 10 records rated, it starts giving you stats on your listening, which I am a sucker for. I love personalized data, (although I am always wary of how that is being used by whomever I am allowing access to it [knowingly and unknowingly]).

The book it references was first published in 2005 with the last update in 2021, so I’m curious if the code has been adjusted for the latest update as well. I haven’t gotten anything too recent yet so it remains to be seen.

1 Like

I think the exercise is interesting but the list of artists you’ve already mentioned probably indicates that this will be a very specific type of canon from a very specific dominant point of view. Curious to see how it plays out and if I’m right.

1 Like

When you set up your group, you can check what genres you’d like to avoid, and I didn’t check anything so I imagine tomorrows album could be a grab bag likes the others. I am generally not a fan of most country or hip hop music but I didn’t want to limit myself, so I figure going in as blind as I can is the best way for me.

I also didn’t limit any genres. My expectations are a list of 1001 albums that read like a Rolling Stone Magazine list. We shall see.

2 Likes

I thought about it, but clicked the genre picker to see what was on offer first, and the fact it’s only those 11 genres turned me off of it. Nothing experimental, no “classical,” nothing that’s not “commercial music?” I’m leery of the breadth and depth this would have, not sure I want to dedicate almost 3 years listening to hundreds of mid pop artists like The Beatles. Don’t @ me. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s necessarily the same album picks, but we had that book that generator is based on in my house as I was growing up. I recall flipping through and while there was without a doubt some good stuff in there that I ended up checking out, it was very mainstream popular artists you’d have heard on the radio in their heyday by and large, and typically their most popular album rather than any deeper cuts that fans would point you to.

Still a great starting point though if you want to be pointed towards some talented but also well known artists.

4 Likes

That is what I’m assuming it will be. Just like @BurningKirby stated, more than likely nothing too deep into each artists discography. I figure I will use it until the end of October and see where I stand with it. It’s nice in this instance to have agency taken away for a bit, but I don’t plan on using it forever or much longer.

@WerqKween, yeah so far, nothing too out of this world. My pick for today was Soundgarden’s 4th album for instance, which while nice, isn’t exactly delving too much into the genre or even their back catalog. You prolly won’t find demos, or acoustic arrangements in this generator.

I’ll stick with it for a bit longer than come across music as I come across it, I guess.

2 Likes

So the site apparently includes additional genres under a hidden sub-genre heading. I noted that Disco isn’t a genre, but it is a sub-genre for some reason (meanwhile Shoegazing is somehow a full genre). So I think there is more granularity than we can see on the surface.

That said I’m still worried that 999 of the 1001 albums will fall under the “dad-rock” heading :pensive:

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with some dad rock, but I don’t want to always listen to it.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with listening to whatever one likes, but the moment I’m subjected to something like Guns N’ Roses I feel the deep urge to shove a letter opener into my ear canal, so I rarely put the curation of anything that constitutes “dad rock” into the hands of a random :joy:

3 Likes

My 2nd album is Elvis Costello’s debut, so I agree that these recommendations skew towards “dad rock” so far. But that’s not necessarily bad right now… Since my listening habits skew towards contemporary music, there’s a lot of that stuff I’ve never actually listened to from the 60s and 70s. I’m enjoying the records it’s recommended, I had never listened to this Elvis Costello record and it’s actually incredibly good. I’ll be right there with you if I get a GNR record though. :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’m in the camp that believes there is enough good music that I could fill the rest of my life with nothing but bangers and never run out of new (to me) music to listen to. So it is less a question of finding good music (something I do not believe to be terribly difficult) and more a question of what kind of good music should I fill my life with. And while I do want to listen to radical queer foreign music, I also have time for some dad rock.

7 Likes

Dad rock, acid house, folk punk, new wave, synth wave, ska, trip-hop, nu jazz, whatever floats a person’s boat. My only criteria is I listen to what I enjoy, and I don’t listen to what I don’t :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I started today with this.

Same for me. :grin:

For today the depressive 90s knocked on my door with “Superunknown” from Soundgarden. There has been a time where I liked the song Black Hole Sun enough to have it on a playlist on Spotify, but it seems my taste in music has changed again. I had a hard time with the whole album.

5 Likes