What are you listening to right now?

New Sufjan single. Really devastating stuff especially if you’re following what he’s been going through lately.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to Sufjan for quite a long time, and hearing this, they got a really good take with the recording. You can hear the strife and suffering, which I don’t wish upon anyone but it does help to make good music when used in earnest.

I would recommend Carrie & Lowell as well. Very good single and album.

4 Likes

I’m a little mixed on the album as a whole right now (My feelings can change with more listens I suppose), but “Bug Like an Angel” is a fantastic song.

2 Likes

She did a bunch of “Behind the Music” vids explaining her songwriting process on this album. Made me appreciate Bug Like An Angel more. I think I mostly agree with the Needledrop’s assessment that it is still a great album, just not one of Mitski’s best. Lyrics are still a ten.

2 Likes

I’ve actually decided I love this album

2 Likes

I love this, I find it to be so fascinating to see an artist’s writing process. There’s so much to learn from this.

My favorite takeaway is “You know I love jumpscares in my songs” :joy:

2 Likes

Especially true because I first listened to this with headphones on and was genuinely surprised when the choir comes in.

2 Likes

Yeah, It’s very interesting from a mixing point of view because of how abruptly it comes in, and the choir is panned so far to the sides that it almost feels like it’s behind you while Mitski herself is in front of you. It did really make me jump the first time I heard it, but I really like it.

The album has grown on me a lot, I do have to admit. I think it’s not as immediate as some of her other most recent records since it’s so mellow for the most part. I still feel like there’s not that much there in terms of catchy melodies for me to hook on to, which was my initial issue with the record. But as I listen to it more, I’m really adoring the instrumental arrangements and lyrics on nearly all of the tracks. My favorites in addition to the opener right now are “My Love Mine All Mine” which I think is the catchiest song in the record, and instrumentally it’s just perfection. Then I’m finding “I’m Your Man” to be a huge highlight, somehow she made an extremely skeletal arrangement feel so vast and big. I have the record on repeat at the moment.

3 Likes

Her music went from noise pop to alt pop and now folk/country. Wild development but after really digging into this album, it is not an unwelcome one.

My Love Mine All Mine is amazing. I think it has already developed into a favorite Mitski track of mine. The Deal is also fantastic and does a great job meshing this country/folk style with her more noisy past. I haven’t checked if she is touring with this album, but I would be fascinated to see the set and how older songs are recontextualized in this stripped down style.

3 Likes

I also love I Don’t Like My Mind-

“A Whooooole Caaaake. ALLLLL FOR MEEEEEEEEE”

2 Likes

“Falling in love again” by Christina Aguilera from “The Spirit” end credits. +April Stevens’ LP.

1 Like

Spotify

:joy_cat:

4 Likes

I love this. I could do without the human vocal solos, but I do like the harmonization.

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t know if you all are into “classical” music, but this album (this group and this repertoire) truly changed the game. Give it a listen regardless!

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to the new Animal Collective record a lot this weekend. I think I’m liking it slightly less than Time Skiffs from last year. It feels a bit “noodly” for lack of a better term. There’s a few gems in it, like “Magicians from Baltimore,” “Gem & I” and “Defeat”, but it’s bookended by some rather boring tracks by their standards. Still not a fan of “Soul Capturer” and the final three songs are a bit forgettable to me.

4 Likes

This made me smile “bam bam”. I was sitting in front of my PC with a headset on and singing the “bam bam” and was asked if I am well. :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll have to check this out, I haven’t thought of them in forever.

3 Likes

They haven’t put out much other than soundtracks for a long while, but they had a nice comeback last year with a pretty good new album. They’re an old favorite band of mine so I’m glad they’re being active with new music again. Recommend that album too.

3 Likes

I listened to this new Underscores album yesterday, I think it’s instantly become my new favorite record of the year. I always associated this artist with the “hyperpop” scene which is hit or miss with me, but this new record is such a unique mix of punk, emo, dance, pop & singer-songwriter americana, often morphing between multiple genres in a single song. It’s full of so many unique and intricately composed songs. This song “Geez Louise” in particular is a great example that blew my mind. SO much ground is covered in the song, and it builds to a super magical finale.

1 Like