Weekly gaming history exercise #3

Hello everyone ^^
First of all I’m sorry for being so late today but as they say better late than never qwq.
Thanks to everybody who participated in the last excercise, it´s really cool to see that people still
remember things such videogame ads, somthing that could be seen as something really useless but that´s what history and historians deal with.
Enough chatting, this week’s question is: How much did it affect to you the fact of passing from local co op to online multiplayer? Personally I can remember that my first multiplayer was Leaue of legends and before that I only knew of local multiplayer playing Budokai Tenkaichi with an old friend so it was a total madness for me.
Remember that I’ll be reading all of your replies. ^^

2 Likes

I don’t know if it had a heavy impact on me. I’d say I mostly play single player games, followed by local co-op and then followed by online multiplier as a distant third. I still play a lot of local co-op and find it a little disappointing that there aren’t more, but there are still a decent amount to enjoy. As for online multiplayer, I mostly play MMOs like WoW and FFXIV. I have tried other online games like Fortnite but I can’t stick with them.

But that said, my first online multiplayer games were MUDs in the 90s, then followed by Warcraft 2. My friends and I would use our dial-up modems to log into Warcraft 2 sessions and play matches. Good times.

3 Likes

I can’t say that it threw me into a deep depression or anything that heavy at the time and when I think back on it, I can’t really pinpoint when the change happened or how I reacted/ responded. I just happen to have very good memories of playing with my friends in the same physical location, whether that be on Halo, Super Mario Kart, or other such titles.

3 Likes

I was late to the party when it came to gaming and started out with single player games.

I think it was the winter of 2006/2007 when a colleague showed me World of Warcraft and when I logged into the game for the first time I giggled with delight and pointed at the screen saying “this is a real person and this and this”. I had sweaty fingers when I typed something in the general chat, realising that strangers would be able to read and respond to it in real time. The first time I was invited into a group to kill an elite monster, my heart rate went through the roof because I was afraid I was going to make a mistake. It was a wonderful and terrifying experience.

When I tried the new WoW Vanilla, I had to realise that even though I had fun for a few days, that feeling of awe and wonder was something I could never get back and relive, even though the game was mostly the same as it was back then, because I am used to it now, and so is everyone else. The wonder lives in 2006 and I can’t have that back.

I have never played a local co-op game.

3 Likes

There were just a few consoleswhile I was growing up so most of my memories are playing with some friends: Mario Kart, Mario Party, Pro Evolution Soccer, or the amazing era of wrestling in N64/PS/Dreamcast.

Also, when my school started to get PCs, we gathered a lot to play Age of Empires or Unreal Tournament.

My memories of playing with people are definitely more linked to local coop/local battle than online playing. I did play a few years online FIFA, but never to the extent of what local gaming was. And now, I might play some games online but mostly in a 1-player setting: Solo games or team games where I don’t care at all about my team mates.

2 Likes

I played a bunch of Counter Strike back in the early 2000s, but it was always in a networked setup like an Internet cafe or a computer lab at university. So we were on a local area network playing against each other.

3 Likes

That’s my experience of childhood pc online gaming. CTF-Face, UT, instagib in a room with 20 classmates. Madness. Why our teachers thought that taking us to the PC room was a good idea was beyond me.

3 Likes

Some games dropping support for local multiplayer in favor of online play was pretty disappointing, especially something like Halo 5 where I’d played all prior entries on the couch with my brother. For me online co-op just isn’t the same. And big childhood memories of playing Halo 1-2 and other games in a group on one TV, I guess many kids today like some of my younger family members have replaced with playing via voice chat. On the other hand, for many games I like, I couldn’t really find anyone interested in them to play with regularly IRL, so the ability to just jump on and play with people is amazing. (Mostly on the competitive side, I hate talking to strangers on voice comms.) Luckily there are still popular couch multiplayer games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe that I can easily convince people in my life to play.

3 Likes

I thought I’d never play anything online because of my social anxiety

I got Mario Maker when it came out because it seemed like the coolest thing ever for me, and I thought–I’ll Make levels, but I won’t share them. But eventually I started sharing them anyway, and got some mutuals [we’d always play each other’s levels] and now I eventually made friends with them online when Mario Maker 2 came out so I think that’s been a good thing for me. And I’ve played a few games online with them [Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, etc.]

I got into Splatoon around the same time [including the online]; you don’t have to talk to anyone

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have an in-person companion. I play with my brother sometimes, just like when we were younger

4 Likes

For me it was never an either/or thing.
With the nes/snes/64 etc there were plenty of options to splitscreen with any friends i had at the time. During my teens me and my friends got PCs and the internet happened BIG, it always seemed like a natural progression towards playing together but in our own spaces. I’ve never seen it as an either or kind of deal.

3 Likes

Thanks to everybody, don´t forget that tomorrow it’s history and videogames Tuesday so there’ll be a new post. ^^

2 Likes

Yeah I suffer social anxiety too and I can relate pretty much to what you wrote. It´s good to know that you could handle that and find your space in online games. ^^

3 Likes

I think that it’s an inevitable issue that co-op disseapears before the online multiplayer, kinda sad.

1 Like

The fear of getting a reprimand when playing a multiplayer jsjsjs.

2 Likes

That´s cool owo, I would have liked to have friends to play with qwq.

2 Likes