Video Game Documentaries

Has anyone posted Tetris: From Russia with Love? I believe it’s a BBC doc, and an enjoyable watch.

2 Likes

Get Lamp is interesting. It’s about text adventure games.

3 Likes

This one looks really good. I have not seen it yet. Thanks!

1 Like

FIGHT ON: The Killer Instinct Story

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this! Great find.

1 Like

I always want to recommend people watch the “Splash Wave” videos by strafefox. Extremely well put-together “making of” mini-documentary videos for classic Genesis and SNES games, mostly. The presentation for these videos is so nice, with custom-made CG and a great narration. The videos are also just the right length to get across the basics + some interesting tidbits. The creator’s channel also has nice videos that are just retrospectives and overviews of system offerings for specific genres or developers – great stuff all around.

2 Likes

I watched episode one. Really fascinating how influential those chip tunes are and how they shaped music globally. Thank you for the recommendation!

2 Likes

Has anyone seen the new doc series High Score on Netflix?

3 Likes

Not yet but I have heard great things.

2 Likes

I just noticed it yesterday. Looks worth watching.

2 Likes

I watched some of it and it was really entertaining.

2 Likes

Just watched the whole series this evening. It’s really great. Clearly all the interviewees and the doc makers were having a lot of fun. And it is full of great retellings of crucial moments in the history of video games.

1 Like

I will definitely have to check it out as I am certainly engrossed in the historical aspect of gaming.

2 Likes

After you watch it, especially the Nintendo portion, check out Tetris: From Russia With Love that I mention above. It really fills in a bit of the gaps regarding the era between Atari’s dominance of the industry and Nintendo’s rise.

2 Likes

Blake Harris adapted his book Console Wars into a documentary:

1 Like