Video Game Covers and Advertisements

I’ve noticed that a number of PS5 (and some PS4) games have much better alternate covers on the reverse of the sheet. I’ve gotten into the habit of checking every game I pick up. And nine out of ten I immediately reverse the sheet.

4 Likes

I haven’t encountered a lot of Switch games with reversible covers. They sometimes have images on the inside but they don’t serve as an alternative cover. And then a lot of them are just blank. Maybe it’s a first party versus third party thing.

Microsoft probably doesn’t bother very much because they want us all to switch to digital, so why make the physical experience any more fun? :wink:

3 Likes

I think all of my switch games have an image on the inside. I call em flip covers lol, cause i enjoy the inside images more. Most of mine are flipped.

Might be right on microsoft lol. I think ive got two with different images inside. Dishonored 2 and skyrim

2 Likes

I took a look at a handful, including Super Mario Bros. Wonder and there is an image, but it’s not really formatted, or suitable as a true alternate cover. They have nice images but they lack things like information on the spine. A lot of the Sony discs I’m thinking of have true alternate covers, complete with all the information that the main cover has but with alternate images. I like that because you can still determine what the game is form the spine when shelved.

3 Likes

The only reversible cover I have for Switch is Splatoon 2 which is how it sits in my shelf.

5 Likes

As someone who spent more time in Salmon Run than playing any other part of the game back when it was in my rotation, I’d probably use that reverse cover too if I hadn’t bought digital.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the kind of thing I like! I wish more Switch games had reversible covers like that.

6 Likes

Reviving this thread because I’ve been on a Silent Hill kick recently and I just discovered the UK box art for the third game. It’s so much more ominous than the US and JP covers I’m familiar with. Super cool, I’m jealous of people who have that version now, haha.

6 Likes

In researching the SEGA book I came across this as for the Game Gear from the UK. I think it has to be my favourite!

qpyHcFGmujbBacIRtp3FTRvinVuE92Ay3i2a4Jl4hAs

4 Likes

Absolutely outstanding. Also totally feels like a British joke. A bit crass, a bit witty. Love it.

4 Likes

British comedy is still the best comedy! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

A fan-made PS2 advert that is often mistaken for being a real one.

Followed by a real PS1 advert.

3 Likes