Survival Horror Recommendations

About a year ago at a garage sale a picked up a box of games for 20 bucks, it had Silent Hill 2 and 3, both of the Suffering games, one of the more expensive final Fantasy spin offs and more. I ended up flipping almost the entire box for like 220

2 Likes

So far I’m making good progress on Amnesia. I’m up to the second act and haven’t gotten too scared, even with headphones on. I can’t say the story / atmosphere is really doing a whole lot for me. My biggest impression is just trying to see things since the game is so dark and micromanaging my resources, which makes exploration not as fun since I can’t really explore too much with limited lantern oil and tinderboxes.

@Prin That is an insane deal. What a find. I still need to watch SAC. The opening is such a bop.

@Ureshi Was the FF spin-off Dirge of Cerberus? I will scream if they remake that game. :joy:

2 Likes

Pretty sure it was actually… cover was silvery reflective with a guy in black clothes on the edge. I remember some reddish detailing too.

1 Like

Oh yeah, but I decided to keep all of them. I’m sure I could turn them for a good chunk of change but I personally would rather hold on to them for the foreseeable future, even when the discs themselves degrade to the point of not being usable anymore.

Also SAC is amazing and acoming from a super Ghost in the Shell fan, I would have to say between that and Arise, those are the best iterations of the property in recent time. I do want to make a note to avoid Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 as it is a very cheap copy and just all around horrible.

1 Like

I’ll recommend my first survival horror game: the original Resident Evil 4. You can get it on basically anything. It’s scary, but also a fun action movie.

3 Likes

Is the remake not as good as the original? I don’t think I’ve heard anything bad about it but I have heard they changed a few things.

The remake is also a 5/5 game IMO. You could try that, too. It’s much more intense in terms of combat that the first one. Enemies are relentless. The remake of Resident Evil 2 is also really good.

1 Like

The remake of RE4 got so many positive reviews and I need to try it out. I was wondering what you thought of the action movie that is called RE 6

1 Like

Six is such a weird game. I can see a really awesome game in there, but that game is just too much. Like, there’s too many controls in that game. Like, why can Leon fall down and crawl on his back and roll around and shoot from a prone position? The story is also just ridiculously told. I don’t get why it’s split between three separate campaigns. I feel like it would be a lot better if it were a single story that went back and forth between the three main campaigns. Some of those levels are just relentless. Like the one in the snow where there are SNIPERS EVERYWHERE SHOOTING AT YOU.

That said, I think there’s some fun to be had in that game. BUT YOU GOTTA WORK FOR IT. The final boss fight in Jake’s campaign was a lot of fun.

With what looks like a definite confirmation of a remake of RE5 coming, I would be so interested in a remake of 6. I think if it were just a bit more restrained, it would be a top tier RE game.

2 Likes

I think one kind of underrated survival horror game for the PS2 is Gregory Horror Show by Capcom.
It’s based on an anime of the same name. The gameplay is sort of a blend of survival horror and puzzle/adventure elements. It’s not really scary, it’s very bizarre and silly but horror themed. Don’t think it was ever released in North America, only Japan and Europe, but it’s pretty fun.

3 Likes