Super Sonic Way Past Cool Fan Club

Don’t let my almost 6 year old see this!

4 Likes

Oh my gods, that is amazing!

3 Likes

Tails Channel has posted some feedback from Frontiers director Morio Kishimoto, giving a few hints on the possible future of the franchise;

The story in Sonic Frontiers wasn’t handled in the best way it could have been, according to Kishimoto, this lead him to express that the next installments should pay even more attention to the script and story even more, and go deeper into the characters.

The next big step for this new “generation” of Sonic games is to add more playable characters.

The constant repetition of previous Sonic levels in games, like Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant, is going to be avoided more in the future, after fan feedback.

Work on the next main Sonic game has already begun, Kishimoto and his team are exploring what gameplay features would be ideal given the fan feedback.

There are plans to expand the combat even further and make the battles deeper and more immersive.

The “Homing Dash” technique from Sonic Frontiers was discovered on accident by Kishimoto and his team during development, it was decided to leave it in as a possible gameplay bonus for players in the game.

The bigger focus for the Sonic games right now is to provide a good single-player experience, but multiplayer games aren’t being outright dismissed.

The Open Zone gameplay style will be worked on and is being heavily considered for the next main game.

4 Likes

The Open Zone gameplay style will be worked on and is being heavily considered for the next main game.

This worries me little. I mean, why would it not be considered? Everyone said how amazing it was. I’m hoping this is a quirk of translation.

2 Likes

Especially when I thought it had already been confirmed multiple times that the gameplay style of Sonic Frontiers was intended to be the groundwork for subsequent games. Guess they can always change their mind, lol.

Also find it funny (in a sad way) that the one thing he’s apparently most disappointed about (the story-related stuff) is like literally the one thing fans generally seem to have all overall actually liked for this one. Does he actually think stuff like Forces and Lost World did a better job? (Er, maybe I don’t want to hear the answer for that…)

3 Likes

Yeah, Takashi Iizuka said it would define the next 10 years of Sonic games, similar to how Adventure did, so I’m kinda confused here.

As for the story, I’ve no idea. Sometimes dialogue and stuff can differentiate between Japanese and Western releases because translation doesn’t always work, but Ian Flynn did such an amazing job. I really hope they keep him on for the next game.

3 Likes

We’ve been sucked into the sonicverse.

6 Likes

Will second this rec. I haven’t read the Imposter Syndrome one yet, but the other spinoff stories are good. (The writers are clearly allowed to do a bit more with their original characters.)

I was especially impressed by a story about a group of bad guys (begrudgingly) teaming up for some villainous operation, and getting to see their different perspectives and strategies clash with one another (a level of detail that is not always guaranteed in kids’ adventure series). It’s also just nice to get a one-off from time to time in which the villains succeed at their scheme, as that helps re-establish them as a legitimate threat.

4 Likes

This makes my fanboy heart swell!

4 Likes

One of Ian Flynn’s best plots, which sadly was when the series was still with Archie so I don’t know if there is an easy way to get hold of it (thanks Penders, you asshat), is when Robotnik goes mad due to the stress of constantly being beated by Sonic. It’s a really interesting character piece and goes to some really interesting places for an all ages book. So, so good.

4 Likes

We actually just got the Bad Guys mini-series yesterday in the mail. That was the first one my son wanted to read because he really likes Rough and Tumble and he loves the warp topaz bracelet that Starline wears. I don’t know if I should be concerned that he always seems to be drawn to the “bad guys” in everything :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is a franchise sale on Steam right now!

3 Likes

If I already own the games listed below, is there anything you recommend I grab on Steam?

• Sonic Frontiers
  • Sonic Forces
  • Team Sonic Racing
  • Sonic Origins
  • Sonic Colors Ultimate
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I

That doesn’t leave much left that’s available, but would anything left be really worthwhile?

4 Likes

Sonic Adventure DX (as long as you install some mods) and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle if you want to explore Sonic’s first true 3-D outings!

5 Likes

@BMO

100% the Adventure games, but make sure you get the BetterSADX mod (really easy to install).

Racing Transformed is a great kart racer. The original is a lot of fun too.

Sonic 4, Ep 2 is much better than the first, but probably won’t really do much for you if you’re not a hardcore Sonic geek like me.

I would suggest Lost World because a) it’s not really as bad as people would have you believe and b) it’s a really interesting take on the Sonic gameplay formula. I would love to have seen a refined version of the parkour system. I know some didn’t like the spherical/ tubular levels, but I didn’t mind it personally. My biggest complains is the over reliance on Wisp powers (but not as bad as the DS version) but I think the parkour system is really, really interesting and there is some good fun to be had.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

To kinda go with the above, an awesome gaming mouse from Sega Shop Europe arrived today! Can see some photos on my Insta.

Comes with the Sonic- shaped mousepad. It’s got LED lights you can change the colour of, how cool is that!

Never had a proper gaming mouse before so not sure how much I’ll use the extra buttons because I’m mostly a console bloke. Only negative is that it’s wired.

Should I open it up or keep it in the box?

4 Likes

Found this smut today! It’s infecting my children now too! My senator and pastor warned me…

7 Likes

I’d be more worried about keeping the kids away from the pastor. :wink:

2 Likes

Wasn’t ken penders that freak who wrote that ‘first they came for’ poem in that one nazi knuckles comic?

1 Like

Knuckles looks remarkably feminine in that piece of smut.