Super Sonic Way Past Cool Fan Club

Anyone else picking this up?

1 Like

Eventually, I think so. You?

1 Like

100%. Generations is one of my favourite Sonic games so I’ll totally be picking it up. That said, I think they should have offered it as an update for those that already own the game, even paid, rather than just a whole new game.

Apart from the Shadow stuff and the graphical upgrade the only other change I’ve read is that the White Space has been redesigned with "inspiration from "Sonic Frontiers’ islands. Maybe that means they can’t just make it DLC, I don’t know, but the choice would have been nice.

The pre-order bonus of Gerald Robotnik’s journal sounds really cool, but I can’t find anywhere if it’s physical or not. But who am I kidding, I’m gonna get the physical copy either way. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I definitely want a physical copy. I think my thing with these releases is they aren’t really limited so I can grab them on sale after a few months. I usually do that with most physical releases unless they will be limited.

2 Likes

Do you get the digital version to play and then physical later when it’s cheap or just wait for the whole thing?

P.S. Word on Reddit is that the journal is physical. It was Reddit tough, still can’t find any official source.

2 Likes

Sometimes both if it’s digital only initially, like it was with Sonic Origins and then Sonic Origins Plus. I didn’t wait for Plus to go on sale, I just bought it when it launched in physical form.

Hmm, that deserves some consideration. Maybe I should order it and not wait.

2 Likes

Sonic Team Head Wants To Make A Sonic RPG Before Retiring

I’d play the hell out of a Sonic RPG.

The fact there was never Sonic Generations DLC was madness to me. It was ripe for it. Releasing new zones every 6 months, we could have had all the classic games remade in 3D by now! They missed a trick.

I’d play the hell out of a Sonic RPG.

Have you tried Sonic Chronicles? :laughing:

Jokes aside, I agree. I think it’d make a great action RPG. It would give them the chance to sort out the lore as well. SEGA, if you need a writer… :sweat_smile:

The fact there was never Sonic Generations DLC was madness to me. It was ripe for it. Releasing new zones every 6 months, we could have had all the classic games remade in 3D by now! They missed a trick.

100%. And the fan base would have eaten it up! There are quite a few very good mods out there for the PC version that add more classic levels, but the fact SEGA never did it officially is craziness. I guess it could happen with Generations X Shadow.

Edit: From the article BMO posted;

Unsurprisingly, it was pretty dire

Fuck that site.

Yes, Chronicles wasn’t great, but why is that unsurprising, exactly? It was made by BioWare, who were at the top of their game at the time. The problems come mostly from the fact that it was their first handheld game and they were blindsided by just how much they had to compromise to get the game down to something the DS could handle. It’s not a terrible game, it has all the Sonic staples like collecting Rings, loop-the-loops, varied levels and even a pretty cool story IMO. They even tried to get the series’ signature speed into the game by re-designing the combat system to be faster.

Was it something of a failed experiment? Sure, but they bloody well tried. The game was a perfectly serviceable, mid-tier RPG that tried something new, made by a team unfamiliar with the hardware who had not worked at that hardware scale before.

This perfectly summarises what really, honestly shits me about games “journalism.” Rather than acknowledging the team tried to do something new with an established character, tried their best to make a traditionally slower genre more speedy, worked to a scale they weren’t used to and still made a very playable, albeit it not perfect, game, they just shit all over the thing because it wasn’t The Greatest Game Ever.

Honestly, why do devs even bother when their hard work gets that kind of reaction?

Ok, rant over.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing if Modern Sonic Labyrinth Zone is less frustrating :rofl:

1 Like

I always forget about the BioWare Sonic game. Should I play it? I know people are nasty about it, but I have been curious about it in the past. I should put it on my list to check out this year if I have time.

1 Like

Knowing the way you appreciate games in a more considered way than just “good/bad” I think that, yes, it’s worth checking out. It is brilliant? No. Is it still a capable game with enjoyable parts? Totally.

2 Likes

Just had to share this…

1 Like