Stellar examples of a genre

I am often playing a variety of different games from all types of genres, with Beat em’ups being one of my favorites. For example, I have often found the first two Streets of Rage/ Bare Knuckles to be excellent, even decades later. I was curious as to what others thought were awesome examples of the genre that you would recommend to those wanting to try something new or break out into.

1 Like

Wild Guns(Snes) - Gallery Shooter
Donkey Kong Country(SNES) - 2D Platformer
WWF No Mercy(N64) - Wrestling Sports
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(Switch) - Kart Racer
Daytona USA(Arcade) - Arcade Racer

2 Likes

For the “Metroidvania” subgenre, I have to agree with the general consensus that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the gold standard. I went into it expecting it to feel really dated, but I had a great time from start to finish. Looks, sounds, and plays brilliantly.

For survival horror, I think Silent Hill 2 stands out to this day for not only nailing it in terms of atmosphere, but for managing to convey such a powerful, tragic, and shockingly daring narrative. If anyone wants a second game in the genre to play – one that knocks it out of the park with its scares – Fatal Frame 2 absolutely stands the test of time, and is a must-play for any fans of J-horror. There are still good horror games being made, but there’s something special about that PS2 golden era.

I’ll go for one more genre… how about “falling block” tile-matching puzzle games. Everyone will be quick to point out Tetris (which, yes, it is a must, please play Tetris if you somehow haven’t), but I’m here to also point out Puyo Puyo. A puzzle game that’s just as good, just in a very different way. It’s all about setting up chains, a frantic pace, risk/reward, and battling an opponent. If you want the best of both worlds, I 100% recommend the mash-up Puyo Puyo Tetris, which could have easily been a basic and lifeless cash grab – but instead the devs gave it their all to come up with several clever and fun game modes that can be enjoyed 1-4 players. An amusing story mode gives you plenty to do on your own – but as a couch VS party game? It’s some of the best fun you can have with a video game, can’t recommend it enough. I have it on Vita (imported from Japan) for handheld play, and on PS4 (English release) for multiplayer with friends.

1 Like

Out of the bunch of “character action” ala devil may cry fps games like desync, bulletstorm, doom16 and doom eternal I think Ultrakill is the first that’s good in every aspect even though I don’t know about the story and don’t have expectations there.

Baldr sky is the best action game I played

Musicus and full metal demon muramasa are the best vns and what happens when writers have real visions

2 Likes