Retro Gaming & Emulation

The Pi 5 is out. I’d either opt for that if you can get it instead. I was just thinking about grabbing one myself.

How is the Super Retro Trio. I’ve heard mixed things about retro-bit products.

The HDD module takes a 3.5” drive, right? IDE?

3 Likes

Damn, that looks awesome!

2 Likes

I got the rpi4b 4gb. I’m very happy with it so far. Some weird stuff happened when I updated, my controller kept losing power (could be unrelated because my other controller of the same model and brand worked fine), and emulation station crashed.

So I flashed a new OS, didn’t transfer my backup files except roms, and got some new roms for it that cooperated better with the scrapers.

I’ve also heard mixed reviews about the Super Retro Trio, haven’t bought it yet…may not get it.

Yes 3.5" IDE for PS2 FAT. Compatibility is an issue for several HDD brands and sizes so I haven’t picked one up yet. I have a HDD that is supposed to work but I’m wary about installing it because the software is known to totally eff up a HDD if it’s not fully compatible. Finding HDDs that work online in a chart or something is really difficult and hard to figure out.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen that chart. I’ve wanted to do it for a while but never taken the plunge. There used to be a guy in the UK that was modding them and selling complete packages, for what were pretty reasonable prices. I wish I hung onto the link to his shop. I’d be curious to see what they’re going for now.

1 Like

Oh yeah, geez I bet his prices went up. Retro video games and consoles are through the roof now!

Not sure if I’ll try another HDD because I already toasted one. Pretty demoralizing to drop $50 on a hdd only for it to get corrupted…

2 Likes

I think I should have waited for this Retroid 4 instead of getting my Analogue Pocket. The Pocket is beautiful, but I think I would prefer this form factor for most of the games that I’m actually playing on it. I suppose I could probably sell the Pocket and get this instead. I have one of the colored Pockets, so maybe it’s rare. I don’t know.

3 Likes

@JoeyPajamas , I’m blaming you for this. I ended up ordering the Retroid 4 Pro. I don’t know when mine’s going to ship, but hopefully soon! We need to get the Grouvee hardware swap/sell thread going soon! I might have an Analogue Pocket for sale soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This may have unofficially already started :laughing:

3 Likes

I may be interested in it…depending on what youre asking. If it comes around for sale let me know and we can see

1 Like

Yes in secret!

DUDE Peter awesome avatar! Glad to see my art is a fan fave lol!

I’ll create the swap/buy/sell topic.

3 Likes

Sorry mate :grin: Hope it does you well though

2 Likes

I have to say when it comes to emulation I am surprised how far PCSX2 has come! Though trying to do original xbox emulation because I would love to play original xbox halo 2 on my gaming pc!

2 Likes

Have you guys seen this DS-like device Ayaneo is releasing?

1 Like

Interesting. I really think Windows is probably the wrong OS for this given how poorly it translates to handheld devices, but it’s definitely intriguing. They are also working on a handheld that runs SteamOS and I’m curious about the hardware design and quality. But no matter what, you can’t say they aren’t trying to stand out in the market.

2 Likes

So I’ve been trying to get the the Luna Mega-CD games working on my Retroid, spercifically with the Unworking Design patches. Try as I might I can’t get the patching process to work, so I asked on Reddit if anyone has pre-patched copies. Someone provieded this link, but the files from there just produce blank screen when I try to load them.

No idea what I’m doing wrong. Trying this through the PicoDrive emulator via RetroArch which works for other MCD games. Anyone have any experiance with this?

I have run into issues with different retroarch emulators a ton of times. The first thing I would recommend is trying to update on all your emulators on retroarch first and then mabey downloading the emulator directly to your computer.