Retro Gaming & Emulation

I’ve a Retroid 3+. The screenshots aren’t particularly high resolution, are they? I’ve not played around with that too much on the Retroid.

3 Likes

They’re okay considering the age of the game in my opinion. Not sure what emulator you’re using but have you also tried upscaling your games? Could help improve it a bit?

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll play around with it and see how I manage

3 Likes

Fair point. A lot of older games are only 320x240 interlaced up to 640x480.

3 Likes

Which older games are you trying to capture?

2 Likes

A whole slew. It’s for the book so there are laws around how/ where I get the screenshots from.

3 Likes

I see. Do the laws require that you capture them from the original hardware, or is there some flexibility?

2 Likes

They can be captured via emulation, but it has to be during a level, so no menus or any screen that has developer names etc. Also, for the purposes of printing they need to be the highest resolution possible which is honestly the trickiest part as I’m not sure if the resolution put out naturally will be enough.

2 Likes

Are there any rules about upscaling the images? There are various tools for upscaling an image, but the question is whether a publisher is ok with that given it’s technically image manipulation.

1 Like

Really amazed how far Retroarch has come over the many years.

2 Likes

I have a RetroDuo for NES/SNES. I like to use the actual console whenever possible, but of course NES was notoriously unreliable. I grew up with one, though

Lately, I saw an interesting computer game that doesn’t seem to work on modern computers. That’s always a shame

1 Like

That’s fair enough, but the difficulty and cost of getting retro systems running (and keeping them running) is just to much of a headache for me. I still want each SEGA system, but for collection purposes. I own two Mega Drives, a Game Gear and a Dreamcast but do all my retro gaming on my Retroid because it’s soooo much easier.

3 Likes

This is largely how I am as well. I have all my old systems, but I rarely plug them in. I thought about getting an Analogue Mega SG, to play Sega games, but the reality is it’s so much easier just to emulate.

3 Likes

Emulation is definitely easier - especially as an entry point. I’m a little too attached to my old consoles and the look/feel of a CRT, so I’ve gone a bit overboard and set up an A/V cart to hold a video monitor and all my consoles/controllers. Keeps everything nice and compact.

7 Likes

That is miminalist gaming at it’s best.

2 Likes

Having just finished Armikrog, I’d like to check out The Neverhood as it’s apparently the better game. I read it can be played via SummVM, but I’ve never had any success in getting games running under it. Does anyone know of a decent resource that explains how to use it?

2 Likes

My partner purchased an Analogue Pocket from a friend for me. I really love it (though admittedly haven’t played it in awhile). I’ve been playing the most random games on it. I’m interested in using it as a controller for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on my GCN but apparently the original GBA cables are shaped too weird for me to be able to plug it in. Not sure if there’s a “normal” cable I can use as a replacement.

1 Like

I know of this resource: https://docs.scummvm.org

They have a page on adding and playing games in ScummVM.

Does your emulator run on RetroArch? There is a ScummVM guide for RetroArch that you can also look at, if that’s useful.

Sadly, it’s been a long while since I last emulated a SCUMM game so I’m foggy on details personally.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Retroid runs ScummVM. I’ve not tried it yet though. I was thinking such a game might be better on the laptop, but I’ll give the Retroid a go.

2 Likes

I want an analogue pocket so bad, but they’re expensive and hard to get a hold of!

1 Like