Retro Co-op Games

As some of you know I’m working on a retro station raspberry pi build and have a few good two player roms installed. Here are some of my favorites along with some suggestions from others:

• Secret of Mana
  • Rock and Roll Racing
  • River City Ransom
  • Toejam and Earl
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball
  • Metal Slug Series
  • Streets of Rage Series
  • Golden Axe Series
  • Contra
  • TMNT; Manhattan Project, Turtles in Time
  • Bubble Bobble

The build is almost complete and I’m looking for more great games to play with friends. What do you recommend for a classic coop game? Something with an emulator preloaded in Retropie (NES, SNES, PC Engine aka Turbographx 16, Megadrive, Sega CD, Neo-Geo, N64 for example. Those are the systems I play the most)

Smash TV for SNES ya big dummy!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course of course…thank you. :sunglasses:

• The Lost Vikings
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Clay Fighters
  • Mortal Kombat (Genesis version)
  • Mario Kart 64

Are you looking only for co-op games, or are two player non-simultaneous play also of interest?

Mostly for co-op but really any 2 player game is fine. I’ve even played megaman with a friend, we just take turns.

2 player beat am ups are great, shooters, Zelda clones. I haven’t played gauntlet legends but I hear it’s great.

useful site: Co-Optimus - Your Prime Source for Co-Op Gaming- Co-Op Videogame Database

Wild Guns isnt on the list. and it should be.

1 Like

I love Co-Optimus. Such a great resource.

1 Like

I can think of a few, apart from the great ones already mentioned:

• chip n dale, rescue rangers
  • snow brothers (if you like bubble bobble)
  • zombies ate my neighbors
  • legend of the mystical ninja
  • sunset riders
  • pocky and rocky
  • NHL '94
    Sorry for the late reply!
1 Like

There is a Sega Saturn game that is not too popular called Three Dirty Dwarves for the Sega Saturn. Gunstar Heroes for the Sega Genesis is a fast paced run and gun game that plays really smooth. Gauntlet Legends and Goemons Great Adventure for the N64.

Smash 64 is an obvious choice, if you have a PS1 core on Retropie I would highly reccomend Crash Team Racing, that game is way better than Mario Kart 64. I would also reccomend TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, and Power Rangers: The Movie, both for Sega Genesis.

Bro Force me and a friend thought it was lame at first but we tend to revisit it every few months after a night of drinking and playing board games.
Nuclear Throne This is technically not meant for co op but a second play can play with a controller at a bit of a handcap. It’s fun to play solo or co-op.
Mercenary Kings This is a repetitive game that is a bit grindy but it’s cool. I haven’t played it in Co Op mode but it looks like it is where the game probably shines.
Helldivers This was fun but It got old for me.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! When my friends come over I’ll try to check out at least some of these.