Projects

I’m having that feeling I get every few years that I want to build a PC. I think I just want to put together a budget gaming tower. I don’t have significant needs, I think I really just want a small tower I can integrate into my living room setup.

2 Likes

What kind of stuff would you want to use the PC for? Mostly gaming, or media consumption? I have a tower next to my TV setup in the living room, and I never use it for games. I used to run Plex on it, but I’ve pushed that off to my Synology now. It kind of feels unnecessary to me anymore. That being said, if I was going to do something like this now, I’d get an Intel NUC, or something in that form factor and either play very lightweight games on it, or use it to Stream Steam games from a different PC.

I was thinking about setting it up as a gaming machine and media console, although I have considered a NAS for the latter. I like the NUC form factor, or the form factor of similar micro-PCs, but the problem is that limits my GPU options. I don’t need the latest discrete GPU, but I’d like 1440 60 fps or 1080 120fps if I can manage it.

1 Like

Whenever I’ve tried to teach myself about computer-y stuff I just get sooooooo confused. XTg-3056 Vs peF-740q graphics cards and FwHt-4000k processors? I just can’t get my head around it.

Having said that, I really love the idea of having a piece of tech for a long time, like it just keeps ticking over. I know in this age of built-in obsolescence it’s unrealistic, but I have such a romantic idea of people using old tech because it just works, like when you hear of old writers still using typewriters. :smile:

I had a Mac Classic from 1990 that I used to play HyperCard games on. I sadly sold it when moved to the UK to work in my early twenties. I imagine it still works because it was solid. I do also have an original Orange iMac from the later 90s that still works, as well as a handful of other Macs from that era and the very early 2000s that still run.

But my oldest tech that still works will always be my consoles.

1 Like

The oldest workin tech that still works I own are my Mega Drives. Bless their celluloid hearts. :heart:

1 Like

If you stretch your definition of tech my gf and I just bought a 1957 Singer 301 sewing machine. 10 bucks at a thrift store, worked flawlessly, super good condition and clean as can be.

But outside of that…I still have an original Gameboy somewhere that works perfectly. Also had a pair of mid 80’s Sony over ear headphones for a long time until probably my last move. Used em pretty frequently

3 Likes

I think a sewing machine definitely counts.

2 Likes

So after…4 years I finally feel like I’m financially stable enough to start working on my car. It’s a daily driver, but I’ve had all kinds of plans bouncing around my head for awhile. This probably won’t be a final form of it, but there are some things that will help move towards the eventual goal. Some body work bits, wheels and tires, maybe a little bit of engine work. Have to see what’s in the cards.

3 Likes

Picked up a stage 1 Exedy clutch kit, and a light weight flywheel. Needed to get the clutch done anyway.

In easy terms this will help the car run a little smoother, and give me better shift feel.

In more complex terms…
The clutch is made of a similar material as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) one, but with a different weave style that makes it more heat resistant and gives me more clutch “grab” which engages gears a bit quicker. It’ll hold up better to more…spirited driving.
The stock flywheel for my car weighs in at bout 16-18 lbs (depending on age) while the lightweight is coming in at 11.4 lbs, which means I’ll lose 7 lbs of rotational mass. This makes the engine work a bit less, prolongs it’s life a bit more, and also gives me slightly better acceleration as the revolutions go up.

So all in all my transmission engagement should be a bit smoother and it’ll be just a hair quicker. Plus less weight helps nearly every single facet of driving.

2 Likes

Decided to create a tracker for each 10,000 word milestone of my History of SEGA book (I’m hoping they’ll actually let me call it Blast Processing! The History of SEGA). Yesterday I cracked 20,000 words; 21,347 to be exact. :smile:

4 Likes

P.S. I’ve set up a new Instagram account specifically for promoting my History of SEGA book. If you’d like to follow the development of it (although I will still post stuff here from time to time), as well as get a little sneaky look into what it might contain, please consider giving the account a follow.

It would be HUGELY appreciated.

Cheers.

3 Likes

We’ve moved into a new house recently, and decided it was time for a new bed for my son.

This is what I’ve gotten done in a couple of weekends. There will be drawers on the side facing the camera, and a couple of drawers in the front. The left side boxes will just stay open because they’ll be up against the wall. I’m going to have to come up with some kind of secret way to open and close the headboard thing so he can store secret stuff in it.

Anyway, nothing too exciting, just some cabinet boxes put together in a bed shape. I’m still proud of it because they all came out pretty good and square.

6 Likes

Twin sized, or double?

1 Like

Queen actually. He currently has a queen mattress that just sits on the floor. The whole thing (minus the headboard) is 56" wide and 76" long. The headboard is actually an “oops” cabinet that I made first, but the plywood was so warped it came out pretty unsquare, and then I destroyed some of the plywood when I was using a router to create a groove in the back. I should have called @Ureshi to help me out!

1 Like

Lol. Could have. It looks pretty good overall. Did you screw it together or dowels?

Wow, pampered kid! I had a twin until I moved out, lol :joy:

2 Likes

Glue and screws through the bottom, and glue and through dowels on the top. Just 3 boring cabinets put together to make the bed. I’ll lay some slats across the gap in the middle. I’ll probably paint the drawer faces to give it a splash of color, but I’m going for some hipster exposed plywood edge furniture on this one.

Sounds solid. I’d slap some clear coat on the plywood, mainly to help prevent splinters n such. Could drop some kind of shelf into the headboard and put a hinge lid on it, make like a storage box out of it.

I’m working on This currently. Rebuilding drawers right now. Last Pic is how it started.

2 Likes

Nice! I like those handles. Are you going to reuse them? I think I’m a weirdo because I kind of like the pine plywood look. I know most people think the grain is just too much, but I think it can look cool in the right situation.

Yeah, I’m definitely going to round over the edges to prevent splinters and other sharp edge problems. I was debating on whether I should put some kind of finish on the top at all. Since a mattress is going to sit on it, and I don’t have any vent slits cut, whether a finish would keep it from breathing even less.

1 Like