Movies and TV, Anyone?

Gasp, Lair of the White Worm is a great movie! Or I just love it. One, or the other, or both, lol!

5 Likes

I quite like Lair of the White Worm. It’s a lot of fun in a cheesy sort of way.

3 Likes

i just finished Venture Bros season 1 w my friend and it was SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN I REMEMBERED!!! i loved it SOO much… it’s such a strong start to the show ahh :o) i love venture bros

2 Likes

It’s a shame the show got cancelled but nice it ran for so long. I basically think season three through the end of the show is peak nerd media.

2 Likes

oh, absolutely! i think it’s the greatest show made by geeks for geeks like, ever. i remember season 3 being my favorite, actually; it’s very domestic in a way that the other seasons arent, in my opinion. im also kinda biased because it had a lot of good dr. girlfriend + monarch stuff :o)

2 Likes

Watching All That Heaven Allows and my big take away is that Henry David Thoreau’s Walden is like catnip for milfs.

1 Like

Watched Godzilla Minus One tonight. Really enjoyed it. Great concept, and it was quite cool to see a more classic Godzilla again. No wonder it was so successful.

3 Likes

Watched it just now. Thank you for the recommendation! Had a lot of fun especially because I could read the little German sticker and knew what it was. Extra funny that they used a German ejaction seat. It is definitely an old school Godzilla movie and has a lot of heart.

Also nice to see a movie about Japan close after WW2 ended and a movie criticizing Japan’s way of treating their people in WW2 and anti war over all. I have at least not seen that shown so strongly in a movie before.

But that little girl crying… they either told her she will not get her favorite sweets ever again or she needs to get an Oscar if she acted that crying. :flushed:

3 Likes

Mother wanted to see the Despicable Me 4, so we saw that one to-day. It was ok

– Gru was in it, and he has a new Baby…he must’ve had SEX ! But why? He already had 3 kids…

– If his own kids aren’t enough, I almost liked the intergenerational friendship with Gru and the girl next door. But, I guess you might say she sort of messed things up for everyone

– The Minions were in it too. They’re everywhere

– I liked the Prison Babes at the end <3…shouldn’t the ones from the Minions movie be older now? They must age very gracefully

– It was kind of like the end of Kung Fu Panda 4, actually, with all the past villains seen together. Like maybe they’re ending all the movie series, because they ran out of ideas

– Actually, I haven’t seen the first 3 in a while, might want to re-catch up on the lore at some point. But it’s probably not urgent

2 Likes

Watched In a violent nature. It was a weird and interesting take on slasher movies. Imagine a Friday the 13th movie from the point of view of Jason and a camera that follows him like it was a nature documentary. No soundtrack. I loved it but I imagine some people getting really bored with it. Also, amazing gore.

Also watched Under Paris, a bad movie about a shark in the seine river that made me laugh so hard with the over the top final act that I almost ended loving it… but it was really really bad.

4 Likes

God help us, we are getting a Shrek 5.

5 Likes

New Puss in Boots was good. Shrek 5 could be a masterpiece.

Get ready for a choir of children singing All Star with the gravitas of Ave Maria.

3 Likes

I saw Despicable Me 4. It was… despicable. I can’t really remember Despicable Me 2, but 4 is worse than 1, 3, Minions 1, and Minions 2. I hope I am known for my excellent taste in film, and by extension, my deep love of the Minions. However, even the Minions mostly fall flat for me in this film. If the Minions ain’t working, buddy, some things went wrong in the making of this film. There are too many characters with too many plots that the film doesn’t bother wrapping up three of its stories (the little girl doesn’t lie, Margot is getting bullied at school, and Kristen Wigg almost killed that lady). Even the Megaminions* plot is barely wrapped up and only by the barest minimum standard. And what even is the themes this film is trying to explore? Family? Well what’s that stuff with Gru’s rival about? We get to decide if we’re good or bad? Then how come the neighbor didn’t learn that lesson? Also, the inciting incident to the film is that Gru’s Rival has broken out of prison. We don’t see the breakout and are told that this time Gru needs to go into Witness Protection. But later, Gru and Will Ferrell have their conflict and it wasn’t as threatening as the South Park Man from the previous film. Why did Will Ferrell require Witness Protection?

I can predict people’s snarky responses. “It is just a silly movie. The stuff happens for jokes!” But the jokes just aren’t there. I can count the number of jokes I liked on one hand in this comedy. “It’s for kids, man.” The kids have much better options. I thought Inside Out 2 was fine, but compared to this, Inside Out 2 is The Great Gatsby. Kids movies are great nowadays! The other Illumination movies which are popcorn flicks are better than this trash.

And you know what else? I got discounted Tuesday tickets and if I had paid full price, I’d write two more paragraphs to exhume my bitterness.

*That being said, the Cyclops Megaminion is the best part of this film. The idea of giving a minion a death laser is funny.

3 Likes

All the characters in the Despicable-verse exist in stasis. Only Gru gets to age. Heck, his kids can’t even change clothing while in witness protection. Those clothes must be grafted to their skin.

3 Likes

Now also known for someone who wants to watch the (movie) world burn:

:grin:

All joking aside, I agree that children deserve good movies , and a movie being for children is no excuse for a bad movie.

I have never seen anything with Minions in them. I only know them from memes. Which one is the best movie to experience what / who they are?

2 Likes

Yeah, the next day I thought–this one felt a little disjointed. Well, maybe “dis joint” is what they was smokin’ when they came up with this one !

We got a discount too. Maybe not the greatest movie of all time, but it’s not like there’s much else to do around here. My mother liked it

3 Likes

Minions 1 is the best movie to experience Minions. There is a whole world of villainy that pre-exists in the Despicable Me movies that does come up in Minions, but the concept is not complicated or requiring of a viewing of the Despicable Me movies. I only wholly enjoy the Minions movies. I do enjoy the parts of the Despicable Me movies with the Minions in it, but the rest of those films I could lose without much concern.

2 Likes

If mother enjoyed it, then what else really matters.

My kids liked it so it was a good use of my money. Just not a good use of my time.

3 Likes

its been a few days since ive been on vaycay, but im back and of course me and my friend watched some more Archer - both over my vaycay, and today! we finished season 2 and we’re on season 3, which seems to be FINALLY locking in. WE’RE SO BACK!!!

2 Likes

Catching up on Fargo. I like that season two is about how it is saner to believe you saw a UFO than it is to believe in a politician.

3 Likes