Movies and TV, Anyone?

Was Garfield in Garfield?

4 Likes

Hannibal is shocking to reflect on. It was on NBC but is more graphic than the stuff you’d find on HBO. I think frequently about an anecdote about that show and censorship. They sent in a cut of a season one episode where a serial killer butchers his victims by stringing up the skin on their backs to look like angel wings. The censors said it wouldn’t make it to air- not because of the grisly violence, but because you can see two of the victims’ butts in a shot. They sent a new cut of the episode in to the censors where that same shot now had blood from the killing covering the victims’ buttcracks. The censors approved it.

4 Likes

SERIOUSLY??? thats so ridiculous . but they aired the objectifying sex scenes >!>!>?!>!!! my god. thats so stupid. ABSOLUTELY stupid!!!

still, it’s amazing that it aired on NBC… on a public broadcast channel! honestly groundbreaking, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Well for me, Garfield’s “voice” should sound like Lorenzo Music’s as much as possible

1 Like

i finished season 1 of archer!

honestly, really fun and a shockingly strong start for an adult swim show. the jokes land really well, the characters are fun to watch (except for cyril, but i heard he gets better after he breaks up with lana), the dynamics are so well written, and it’s just a really fun time! admittedly, the sex subplots bog it down in the second half of the season. honeypot’s the best episode imo :o)

2 Likes

Waiting for The Acolyte episode 5 t̶o̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶i̶l̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ to start.

3 Likes

i watched polar last night! it’s not the best movie in the world, but i LOVED it . love love LOVED it …

This looks AMAZING!

1 Like

The trailer looks really good, but I have canceled Prime so I am stuck with:

1 Like

I watched Kinds of Kindness, and I was delighted by it. The movie works absolutely best by walking in and knowing next to nothing so if you are interested in the Emma-Stone-dancing-outside-a-purple-Dodge-Charger movie, I’d say go for it. If you want a warning for content, know that the movie contains violence, gore, nudity, discussions of miscarriages and abortion, suicide, and rape.

Once again, I think the movie is best seen without knowing what it is. However, if you really want spoilery thoughts, here they are-

Kinds of Kindness is an anthology film containing three short films about deplorable people and whether or not kindness should be shown to them. It is incredibly surprising and funny when the first credits start rolling about 50 minutes into the film. It is at that point that the kinds of kindness are revealed. Three stories about people committing murder or suicide for the benefit of awful people. Our awful people are all dynamic and fascinating- Willem Dafoe as a rich sociopath who controls an entire town, Jesse Plemons as a paranoid cop whose wife was lost at sea, and Emma Stone as a cult member willing to kidnap women who she believes have sweat that can raise the dead. The filmic language treats these characters as heroes, but the larger metatext is that these characters are not worthy of kindness. There is also a running motif about forced abortions that I don’t fully understand. The film is funny, shocking, and at times deeply affecting. The score is a single trilling piano used to great effect. There is some shoddy audio editing, but I kinda think it adds to the unsettling character of the film and didn’t mind it. The cinematography is nice, and there are a few inspired shots. I could keep describing this weird film, but I would rather not spoil any more of it. Joyously haunting? IDK. I enjoyed it and I think you might too.

I’ll say this- I have loved the last two Yorgos Lanthimos films so much that I think I need to reappraise his older works. I thought the Lobster and Killing of the Sacred Deer were fine at the time I watched them, but maybe I’d love them now. I will at least be checking out his works that I have not seen. That’s how much I enjoyed Kinds of Kindness.

Also finishing a show called “the exes” on paramount plus. Very funny!

1 Like

me and my friend have been rewatching venture bros as of late and frankly it’s even better than i remembered… it’s one of those shows that just gets better upon rewatch! season 1 is a strong start for the show, even if the finale is kinda whatever. we haven’t gotten to that point yet but im very eager to see if my opinion on said finale changes!

sounds like a show I should watch!!

1 Like

oh absolutely! it is genuinely adult swim’s best show- it is fantastic. not everything about it is fantastic but what is good shines. cant recommend it enough!

1 Like

interesting. just had a discussion about movies like this comparing Midsommar to The Wicker Man. You might like Lair of the White Worm, its got an interesting backstory (its not a good movie, IMO) but i enjoyed it. Similar English rural setting and superstition, etc.

Been fairly active in the movie-going lately

Saw a few things that I would recommend: Prisoners of the Ghostland is this really wacky nick cage movie that’s like a mix between Hell comes to frogtown with like a Japanese supernatural nonsense. Hotel Artemis is a strange cyberpunk movie that I thought got the William Gibson vibe down really well. I liked it. (Many don’t)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) a bit of let down. Not a big fan of slashers and well, every idea in it has been done a million times since. Similarly, Casablanca was okay, but its influence also pervades media.

Been enjoying stuff I wouldn’t necessarily recommend: Fred Olen Ray I love, Hiroshi Inagaki seems promising, Mario Bava gets another chance, Makota Tezuka has me intrigued, i’m running out of top shelf Keita Amemiya and wondering how deep I’ll continue to go,

Oh if you like Godzilla and wanna try something a bit different: The Mysterians was a pretty neat movie that impressed me with its models and plot. It has a stupid mecha-Godzilla monster that is kinda pathetic but that’s not the main focus of the film. (IT also doesn’t have the weird little side-stories that the old Godzilla movies tend to have)

2 Likes

That’s cool you saw T2 Judgement Day for the first time and you enjoyed it with friends. I do remember the impact that had when it came out, it wouild continue to make waves and revereberate:. I remmber it being considered really controversial and ‘too violent’ then the next year the 1992 Hollywood riots had happened. Congress was wondering what to do with bad video games like Mortal Kombat and Night Trap lol. James Cameron is awesome and his old movie-making magic sets, settings and special effects is a lost art. Do watch Aliens if you have not!

I love Rob Zombie’s mind. I liked House of 1000 corpses the most of that trilogy though., for the same reason i like Cameron: Weird sets, cool props and special effects. It’s like he took the best bits from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and refined them (Movie I previously mention)

AntiViral was pretty cool! Me and a friend liked that and we will watch Possessor (his other one) soon, but haven’t (His sister said it was the must messed up thing they’ve ever seen) Brandon’s got quite the legacy to live up to. Love his daddy’s stuff.

you would be a fun ‘watch-partner’ it sounds like (if there is such a thing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)! But sounds like you already have several! :grin:

I didnt know there was a hannibal show. I liked the original series (i’m assuming) its based on. A quick read it sound a bit similiar to Mind Hunter. My watchbuddies wife loves True Crime and crime/psych thriller stuff like this. i’ll mention it to her.

2 Likes

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE UFCK WHAT THE FUCK I LITERALLY SQUEAKED AND SQUEALED SEEING THIS REPLY EAHUHGHHAHA ANSHSA ASM C A E A !!!

ahem.

thats not at all shocking to me, they were going for anything that god forbid was violent. especially if it had political commentary. what a time for video games, movies and music! and ive actually had the Alien franchise on my watchlist for a long, long time- i still gotta watch them… eh, eventually. but thank you!

House Of 1000 Corpses ABSOLUTELY takes the best aspects of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and refines them, as well as the best aspects of campy horror in general! if camp was a movie, this would be it. my personal favorite is The Devil’s Rejects though, because i love how the characters and their dynamics are built upon. it steps up from the original in every way and i just LOVE it! to be honest, though, both are SO good in their own right.

ive been meaning to watch Possessor for some time now, but i just haven’t gotten around to it… though Brandon’s certainly following his dad’s footsteps! i watched Dead Ringers last year and i can definitely see how that would influence Antiviral. ive been meaning to work through David’s films for some time now but i just keep forgetting to - or, rather, i just keep watching a bunch of Mads Mikkelsens movies, 'cause he’s hot.

and i do have a few watch partners, but the more the merrier! i love watching shit with people, especially other horror buffs. i always have a blast :o)

(also, you’d like Hallucinations, directed by the Polonia twins. it’s a campy, harrowing SOV movie that you can find it on youtube!)

2 Likes

AH I FORGOT TO REPLY TO THE HANNIBAL ONE. sorry for the double reply!

it is based off of the original movie series and the books, but in the grand scheme of things, is its own thing, and it’s beautiful. dont go into it expecting a crime show though. no spoilers. but it’s one of the greatest TV shows of all time. i hope your watchbuddy’s wife likes it nonetheless!

2 Likes

So as weird as it is, I actually did come across Hallucinations earlier this year after watching Arise! SubGenius Recruitment Film #16. It was okay ( I liked subgenius more though) The quality of it lessened my enjoyment of it. But what is fun is that i watched it with a schizophrenic watchpal i have. They did enjoy it lol.

Doggie Woggies, Poochy Woochies, Mr T’ in Be somebody or Be Somebodies Fool, This is the kinda stuff I like digging into… Have you seen Graverobbing for Morons? lol If you liked Hallucinations, you might also like (or you might hate) Exterminator City (EC is probably the worst trash film i’ve seen that I love.) Dandy Dust or Schizopolis (I wasn’t much a fan of the last two))

2 Likes

WTFFF whats up w schizophrenic ppl liking Hallucinations… im schizophrenic too and i LOVED it. thats so cool…

i havent seen any of these yet, as im very new to SOV horror, but these titles sound SO fun. especially Graverobbing For Morons and Schizopolis… ill add to my watchlist!

also, on the subject of SOV horror, i watched The Soultangler last year and despite it having a really cool cover and really cool intro, it was a whole lot of nothing up until the end tbh. i was expecting something much more surreal and gorey, more soultangling action. still, i think the ending and character of Anton Lupesky makes it worth it!

2 Likes