Movies and TV, Anyone?

Poor Things was amazing. I’m not a Yorgos Lanthimos fan by any means. I’ve seen two of his other films which I would describe as interesting but not great. Poor Things, however, dazzles from beginning to end. It makes bold statements about free will, feminism, and sexuality that are uncommon in big studio pictures. It also is actually funny!* Between this and Barbie, I hope studios see that adults will come out to watch comedies starring women.

I recommend this movie for all but the prudes. The prudes will hate this movie.

*There is one joke early on in the movie that I do not like, but the movie moves on quickly and is an intentional riot throughout the remaining film.

3 Likes

I just finished The Curse. I would recommend it to folks if you are a fan of Nathan Fielder, Benny Safdie, or Emma Stone. I think it is best watched without knowing much of anything, but thematically the show is about uncertain realities.

1 Like

Which two? My favourite among his films remains Dogtooth.

2 Likes

I didn’t sleep the night I watched the last episode.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen Dogtooth. I’ve seen The Lobster and Killing of the Sacred Deer. Those two are possessing movies. I’ll probably always remember both of them. But I don’t know if either of them moved me. Poor Things moved me. I feel moved just thinking about Poor Things.

At some point I will get to the Favourite because I am an Olivia Colman Stan from way back in her Peep Show days.

2 Likes

No one is going to reverse gravity on you BMO. We’ll be okay. We just gotta tell ourselves that.

I watched several interviews with Safdie and Fielder after finishing the finale to try to untangle my thoughts. I would really like to hear what Emma Stone feels about that finale as a lot of it hinges on her performance.

Excited for Green Queen season two!

1 Like

Dear GODS I hated Lobster.

1 Like

I like all of his films, but even with excellent performances I think Killing of a Sacred Deer is merely ok, and not his best film. Personally I think his most interesting films are his Greek films like Dogtooth and Alps and that they are two deeply compelling but also disturbing films. They are complex and layered in superb ways.

The Favourite is great and then you should watch The Great because the writer of the former is the show runner of the latter and both are highly enjoyable.

2 Likes

It doesn’t strike me as your kind of film. I don’t get the vibe that you’re really that into art cinema. That’s not a critique, just an observation based on what you normally say you like and don’t like.

2 Likes

There is a very specific performance direction that is maintained throughout the Lobster and Killing of the Sacred Deer that I found off-putting and viewed a bit as a directorial trademark. Do folks still have such deadpan delivery in Dogtooth and Alps?

Did you see Poor Things yet? I’m wondering where it would rank for you.

1 Like

I don’t really want to give too much away, but there is a reoccurring mode of performance, yes.

I don’t really like to rank films. I still enjoyed Killing of a Sacred Deer but it wasn’t as significant an experience for me as Dogtooth is.

1 Like

Two questions anyone here going to watch the new halo tv series and the new Dune movie coming out this year.

I’ve never really thought about it, but you’re probably right. I had a look at this The Essential Must See Top 50 Arthouse Films and of those I’ve seen 11 and of those enjoyed 7. The closest thing on my list of favorite films to an art film is Cashback, which I absolutley love, even though I do admit it’s a bit pretentious at times.

2 Likes

I’ll probably give Halo a go, but I’ll skip season one as apparently it’s rubbish. I don’t know about Dune. I watched the first one on a flight to Australia and admittedly found it very boring, but my enjoyment may have been affected by the location.

1 Like

An important, movie related webiste I have found today:

https://time.to.stathampun.ch/

:grin:

3 Likes

Watched Dennis the Menace Strikes Again this time [available free on YouTube]

Dennis the Menace was in it, and you could say he struck again

– Everyone was a different guy [from the first one]. Mr. Wilson was like a totally different guy; more of a cartoon character this time. Well, he was balder, which is accurate, but missing a mustache

– We saw this on [TV? Rental?] back in the day too. Gina’s in this one; I wondered why she was blonde. Why do they only get half the characters right, in any given Dennis the Menace movie. But Margaret looked just like [the character]

– Dennis the Menace havin’ two GIRLS fighting for his attention…that always happens to me, too. Note Dennis the Menace’s hypocrisy in having little interest in hanging out with Margaret…but not understanding that Mr. Wilson usually doesn’t want him around either ! He refuses to understand that Margaret is to Dennis the Menace as Dennis the Menace is to Mr. Wilson

– At one point, Dennis the Menace accidentally covers the neighborhood in Cotton Candy and I thought…looks like a Power Wash Simulator mission !

– Oh, re: Dennis the Menace 1: I always thought Serious Sam stole a Apple from Dennis, but apparently that was Gunther! I guess I can’t tell small blond boys apart

2 Likes

I guess I can’t tell small blond boys apart

There’s a joke there but I think I’ll leave it…

2 Likes

My 11 year old son and I have been watching old episodes of Critical Role on Youtube during dinner. It’s such a massive show that after more than a year we’re not even halfway through season 1.

Anyway, now he’s gotten me to watch Naruto and I’m enjoying quite a lot. I still want to keep working through Critical Role, though.

3 Likes

If you like the D&D live plays, Dropout’s show Dimension 20 is great, too. Likely too adult for an 11 year old, but you might dig it. It’s more improv comedians than actors, so it’s generally more joke-y and intentionally funny, but I really dig it, and I like Brennan Lee Mulligan way more than Matt Mercer.

3 Likes

I haven’t consumed a lot of it, but I have liked what I’ve experienced of Dimension 20.

2 Likes