Movies and TV, Anyone?

Hello I was if anyone here was a fan of star trek and my favorite series of all time the reimaged battlestar galatica!

Live long and prosper!

I’ve been a Trekkie since the first time I was allowed to watch an episode on TV, which was probably around 1972 when I was 6 years old. I still wish the industry would abandon VR and make a holodeck instead. :grin:

2 Likes

Love the new BSG. I tried to wath the original and man…oof. I actually met Richard Hatch many years ago at a convention. Nice bloke.

2 Likes

My wife and I have been watching a couple episodes of Yellowjackets every night because, man, that show is filling a LOST sized hole in my soul. Yellowjackets balances its serious themes with a fun that is often absent in the TV-MA drama. Great performances paired with a story that constantly blooms and surprises. Plus season two features Elijah Wood and John Reynolds playing the exact roles they should be playing. We have three episodes left and then we’re caught up. No idea what I’ll do with my time as I wait for the next season.

3 Likes

Where’s Time Cop? Come on man you let me down lol!!! Van Damme kicking asses and liquid Nitrogen makes an appearance. I remember loving it as a kid. Not sure why my parents let me watch this and Robo Cop when I was maybe 12.

3 Likes

It’s not great but it was fun. It forever imprinted the worst version of what would happen if a person comes in contact with themselves from another timeline. Brutal, lol.

2 Likes

Haha yeah pretty violent depiction.

3 Likes

Spring Breakers (2012)
Pretty fucking great. Depressing and darkly hilarious, great performances all around.

3 Likes

I’m all caught up on Yellowjackets and I wanna talk about it!!

Yellowjackets has consistently ridden the line that LOST crossed in its first episode- is some supernatural shit going on? In LOST, you hear the Man in Black in the first episode. In Yellowjackets, the show consistently raises questions that are mostly answered by the show saying, understandably, ‘having to eat your friends to survive would screw up your psyche too’. But the show has some dangling threads that really don’t feel like they can be solved rationally. Case in point: Tai’s other self that comes out when she is sleeping. Sure people talk and walk in their sleep/people develop alternate personalities, but they normally don’t gain secret knowledge about where missing children are. And the symbols they’ve seen carved on trees seem to be tied to this mystery. Who carved them? Was it the man who showed up in Jackie’s dying dream? I’m okay with whatever route they choose to take, but I am hungry (pun intended) for answers. Also, Natalie is dead! Juliette Lewis was great on the show, and I kinda hope they pull a LOST and let her stick around in some way/shape/form. There is still a lot of fun performances and intrigue, but she was a strong character because she accepted both the scientific and wu wu answers to what was happening. Tai might be set up to take her place as that character in the middle with everything going on with her. Regardless, Natalie was great and I miss her already.

Ugh is it 2025 yet?

2 Likes

I binged this during lock down:

This woman is the bravest and most persuasive person on the planet. Being an attractive and non authoritative journalist has opened many doors into black markets, crime syndicate, and basically the underworld.

Fascinating to watch!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Also if you have paramount plus I recommend the show Yellowstone and NCIS Sydney!

1 Like

Saltburn. Thought it was utter guff.

1 Like

Oh why? I liked it.

1 Like

I heard saltburn had a really messed up story.

I heard saltburn had a really messed up story.

Yeah, it is.

Oh why? I liked it.

I didn’t enjoy the storyline at all. It was fine when it was just “dude manipulating rich snobs” but the weird sexual fetishness of it really turned me off. I don’t consider myself a prude, but maybe I am because going down on a woman during her menstral cycle, drinking jizzed in bath water and fucking a dead dude’s grave is a step too far IMO.

Apart from Richard E. Grant I didn’t like any of the characters, although maybe that was the point, although the performances were admittedly great.

I guess in the end it really comes down to simply very much not being my thing. I don’t mind dark, somewhat distrubing films in and of themselves, but this really did not do much for me and don’t feel that I’ve gained anything from watching it.

2 Likes

going down on a woman during her menstral cycle, drinking jizzed in bath water

yeah, that’s enough internet for today.

1 Like

I have seen the first part of Rebel Moon. It feels like a D&D campaign with a novice DM and it is their first meeting and everyone has an exaggerated backstory to tell and is minmaxing their character. The DM has stolen from all the media they have consumed, from Warhammer, Star Wars, World of Warcraft and many more, and the fights, with all the slow motion, seem like they are rolling the dice for the outcome. One fight looked like it was filmed on a Warhammer table. I am absolutely sure that some of the props, like walls, were made 1:1 to look like miniature Warhammer 40K set pieces.

It is stupid and weird, but if you look at it as a D&D campaign, it has a certain charm. I will watch the next part, but I need a couple of days in between, or the cringe is too much.

4 Likes

– Watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off the other day; Ferris Bueller was in it. I vaguely remember seeing it when we were little [TV? Rental?] I actually found it a little dull; it was no Home Alone. And I thought he sorta bullied his friend, Cameron. Possibly got him in trouble…or saved him ? We’ll never know

– Also watched Sesame Street: Follow That Bird one night, which you can watch free on the YouTube. That was great; we also saw that one long, long ago…possibly in a church or something ?

– They had to save Big Bird, so it was a little more action-packed than your average Sesame Street offering you might say. The final battle was pretty epic

– I liked the Count and Oscar’s themed cars, it’s like it’s the start of Sesame Street Kart. And Ernie, Ernie is such a menace that he endangers everyone around him. I liked the Grouch Diner too

4 Likes

I love Ferris Bueller’s day off that is my favorite movie that takes place in Chicago. I probably have seen that movie a million times.

3 Likes