Monthly Retro Game Club

Illbleed Level 6 Thoughts

• As I alluded to previously, this level is just insane. An absolute fever dream. A hilarious one! But holy crap, what a wild ride this is.
  • Gameplay-wise the main gimmick for this one is using your goggles to see which possible trap points are actually “story” cut scenes. You’ll want to try to watch every single cut scene you can for this level, trust me. (And you want all the money you can get anyways, right?) So for any trap points marked “story” you need to make sure you don’t mark them, and instead just walk up to them.
  • In this level you play as totally not Woody, who needs to get to hell… or rather, toy hell… in order to rescue Sexydoll (!) from… Zodick. Zodick the Hellhog. Which is, indeed, just a demonic version of Sonic the Hedgehog. The devs for this game were absolute madmen! And maybe a bit prophetic, considering what Sega would eventually do to Sonic themselves in Sonic Unleashed
  • The boss was kind of a drag though, just a bullet sponge really.

Final Illbleed Thoughts

After finishing all six movies, you can face one final boss and get your 100 million dollars. Bizarrely, you get to choose which boss to take down! I went with Oh No Man. Because how could I not, with a name like that? Luckily he was really easy to defeat.

Unfortunately I got a bad ending, since I was too late to save Kevin in the first level, and completely missed poor Jorg after he was captured by a zombie in the fifth level (so I guess he died too, IDK). I’ll assume there is a better ending if you beat the game with everyone still alive… Which I’d like to do some time! Illbleed is a fun game. A clunky and quirky game for sure, but still fun. I’m glad I can finally mark it off my to-play list for now though, since it was a long time coming.

I recommend this game to anyone who wants something truly outlandish! A Dreamcast exclusive that must be seen (and played) to be believed.

3 Likes

This review of the Turbografx-16 version of Splatterhouse appeared in my feed today – seems worth sharing here:

For me I’ve found it a tough one to really enjoy much, similar to how I feel about titles like Altered Beast. I’ll be giving it another go, and maybe I’ll think of a few more things to say about it before Halloween is through.

1 Like

Final Thoughts on Splatterhouse

Best enemy: the flying cloaked skeleton that shouts “I’m the groover!” Or at least, that’s what it sounds like.

All in all though, I think I’ll just have to call this one a game I like conceptually, but didn’t care to actually play it. I am still interested in trying the sequels on Sega Genesis some time though, to see if the formula is improved upon for home console gaming.

From now on I think I’ll announce the games for the next two months each time – that way people can plan ahead a bit. (So at the end of November, I’ll list December’s and January’s games, and so on.)

November 2020:

• The Legend of Mystical Ninja (Super Nintendo – 1991 – action-adventure – 5 hours)
  • Meteos (Nintendo DS – 2005 – tile-matching puzzle – 8 hours)

December 2020:

• Monster World IV (Sega Mega Drive – 1994 – action-adventure – 8 hours)
  • Power Strike II (Sega Master System – 1993 – shoot-em-up – 1 hour)

I’ll see about getting a write-up done for November’s games, probably tomorrow!

3 Likes

For November 2020, the retro games of the month shall be:

• The Legend of the Mystical Ninja – 1991 – action-adventure
  • Meteos – 2005 – tile-matching puzzle

In 1986 Konami created an arcade game called Mr. Goemon, and a Famicom game called Ganbare Goemon! (Go for it, Goemon!). They would go on to release more titles in the series for Famicom, Super Famicom, Playstation, Nintendo 64, the Game Boy consoles, and a final entry for the DS. Most of these games would only see a Japanese audience, the exceptions being two N64 games, a Game Boy game, and this SNES game. In Japan it was titled Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyuushutsu Emaki (Go for it Goemon: The Rescue of Princess Yuki), but for the Western release it was titled The Legend of the Mystical Ninja. It released in Japan in 1991, in the US in 1992, and in Europe in 1994.

Ishikawa Goemon is a legendary figure from Japan’s samurai era, an outlaw who stole from the rich and gave to the poor (perhaps not unlike Robin Hood). His escapades were recounted (and embellished) in kabuki drama, and to this day he has continued to show up in works of pop culture, either as a young ninja or as a huge hulking bandit. Konami’s take on the character is decidedly sillier, giving him lighthearted romps in a wacky Sengoku setting full of slapstick and anachronisms.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is an early example of a Western localization attempting to bring over a game that was more steeped in Japanese cultural references than most other games coming over from Japan. A lot was altered, including the main characters’ names (Goemon and Ebisumaru became… Kid Ying and Dr. Yang). This was back in 1992 though, and it was much more likely a game of this sort would simply have just stayed in Japan (which is what happened with the two Super Famicom sequels that followed this one). It is interesting to look back and see how far the gaming industry has come in this respect – nowadays we can play stuff like Samurai Warriors and Okami, or Persona and Yakuza, and these titles can find a worldwide audience just fine.

This entry in the Goemon series might not have been a smash hit overseas back in the day, but these days seems generally-regarded as a standout title for the SNES. It can be played single-player or co-op with a friend. The gameplay for this is pretty varied. There are town exploration stages which play something like a beat-em-up, letting you move about forward and back (as well as left and right). In RPG-esque fashion you can also buy items and learn new attacks. And you can play all sorts of mini-games, which the Goemon series in general is apparently known for. Each stage in this game also has more standard side-scroller platforming, complete with a boss at the end. In two-player mode, one character can ride piggy-back on the other, to make tricky jumping segments more manageable.

Howlongtobeat dot com says this takes about 5 hours to play through. Give it a shot, and share what you think of its unique blend of gameplay styles! It can be played on the SNES, and on the Virtual Console for Wii and Wii U.

The “falling block” or “tile-matching” puzzle game genre has become a tough one to stand out in these days, thanks to the million Bejeweled, Puzzle Bobble, and Tetris clones that have flooded mobile phone app stores. This was a bit less of an issue back in 2005 for Meteos – but still, it’s easier said than done to come up with a new take on this endlessly-replayable pick-up-and-play genre.

Producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi (see: Space Channel 5, Rez, and Lumines) and director Masahiro Sakurai (you may have heard of the Kirby series, or the Smash Brother games) decided to give tile-matching games a shot on the Nintendo DS (which had just come out a few months prior to this). Also worth noting, Mizuguchi would eventually come up with a remix on the Tetris formula itself with Tetris Effect.

At any rate, Meteos is a puzzle game designed around moving blocks with the DS stylus on the touch screen (blocks are only moved vertically). Remove blocks for as long as you can, your game ends when blocks reach the top of the screen. To remove blocks, you launch them like rockets – this is done by getting three or more of the same-colored blocks together (either horizontally or vertically). Part of the catch is that the blocks will launch with any blocks stacked on top of them in tow – which is good, but that also means the pile of blocks might be too heavy for this “rocket” to actually leave the screen. Linking more of the same-colored blocks together in that pile can power up the “rocket” more. If you can’t do that, at least the top blocks that leave the screen will disappear before the “rocket” descends back to where it was before.

So the game quickly becomes quite frantic! But will Meteos hook you the same way games like Tetris or Puyo Puyo might have? I think it’s worth a shot. There is a Disney-themed take on this game also available for the DS, but that one allows you to move the blocks horizontally as well as vertically. Variations of Meteos were also released for cell phones, PC, and Xbox Live Arcade.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on either (or both) of these games as you play them over the course of November. If you finish, you can give a mini-review if you’d like. Let us know if you think these games stand the test of time!

5 Likes

I’ve got both ready to go and will be digging into them soon. Looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Meteos First Impressions

So this is a game I’ve played in the past a few times over the years, but decided I should try diving into it more and give it as much of a full playthrough as I can this month. I was largely inspired to thanks to discovering Lumines a few months ago and liking that game pretty well. Lumines and Meteos share a ton of the same DNA it feels like, but they do have their own unique style of gameplay.

• Overall I dig the general concept of Meteos. It’s the sort of frantic tile-matching game that I would compare to something like Magical Drop (or Bejeweled I suppose). But the whole gimmick of getting the blocks to launch off the screen is pretty addicting here – it’s really satisfying to get rid of blocks in this game, each time you set off a successful launch. Scrambling to find another set of three to match on a slowly-lifting rocket is half the fun I think, because it feels so good to yeet a whole mountain of those troublesome meteor blocks all at once.
  • The whole outer space theming works all right – I kind of get Hitchhiker’s Guide vibes from all the nonsensical planets we’re saving. (Are we saving the planets? From evil meteor blocks? Are the glowing doodle creatures our friends? I don’t actually know.)
  • I appreciate there being variety to the visuals and music from level to level, but it’s surprisingly rather hit-and-miss for me. Some levels look and sound fine, but there are others that are kind of awful. The blocks for some levels are way too gimmicky, busy, and animated, kind of giving me a headache to be honest. Also some levels have rather annoying sound effects playing throughout! Do not want.
  • One thing I greatly prefer about Lumines is that we transition from one stage to the next instantly there – while in Meteos we have to go through like 10 seconds of different screens between stages. Not a huge deal, but still.
  • I haven’t figured out the special blocks yet, or what triggers the various effects that make the stage harder or easier. (Are the timer blocks good or bad? I can’t tell.) Guess I’ll have to look up a guide online…
2 Likes

So a friend and I tried playing Legend of Mystical Ninja today co-op, and…

…we are NOT good at this game, lol. I kind of feel the game is harder with two of you on-screen tbh. But the game is fun, and there seems to be a lot to work out in regards to special items, stores, leveling up weapons, various things that are dropped by enemies… Time to look up a guide, I guess. (Or at least look for a game manual online.)

One thing I will note though is that the game looks and sounds pretty great – kind of makes me think of Chrono Trigger actually (another game I’m [slowly] working on). But I think this game was released quite a bit earlier than that? Konami did a real good job with this one.

2 Likes

Legend of Mystical Ninja… Curious which version you are playing and if one is more better/recommended than the other? (This looks like one of those that plays fine with the stock NA release or maybe a translation patch is in order?)

3 Likes

I played a bit of a ROM of the SNES version. I… I don’t know, what to think. The style is very neat but the gameplay feels very monotonous and simple?

3 Likes

I’m just playing the regular SNES version. It would be interesting to look at the fan re-translation of it though too, if only for comparison’s sake.

It looks like fans have translated the two Super Famicom sequels as well, for anyone interested in playing more Goemon after this.

Beat-em-ups by their very nature are monotonous and simple, but I feel like the Goemon games are not the best example of this since they have so many random little mini-games to break things up (not to mention the more platform-heavy sidescrolling segments in each stage). The leveling-up system and variety in items to use also spices things up a lot more than your average Final Fight IMO.

(Still understandable if the game doesn’t click with you though – it’s a bit of a weird one!)

2 Likes

I’m kind of with you on this. The side scrolling bits feel very reminiscent of Ghosts ‘n Goblins which, if I’m being honest, is not my favourite thing in the world. The Legend of Mystical Ninja isn’t bad per se, but it’s not my cup of tea. Part of it is the design philosophy of the era. Passwords, continues, etc. are just things I no longer have patience for. I lived through them and accepted them when I was younger but now there are better design approaches that I prefer.

The art style is cute but I feel the cutscene arts stands out quite well while the gameplay art is fine without being mind blowing. It’s adequate and a bit fun.

I think there are things to like here and depth given the ability to purchase items. It feels like a game that I might have sunk hours and hours into when my choices were limited during the SNES era (I was willing to play a lot of mediocre games) but is something that I don’t think offers enough when I have a world of games to play.

2 Likes

I am enjoying Meteos so far. It has a novel concept. It might have been something I would have played on a DS in the pre-iPhone era, but does seem pretty interchangeable with a myriad of touch-based puzzle games that made their way to iOS and Android. You compare it to Lumines, which I have heard many good things about, so now I am curious to compare the two myself.

2 Likes

Legend of Mystical Ninja Final Thoughts

I ended up not really finding much to say while playing this one, but I did finish the game the other day so I should at least share some final thoughts on it. For me I’d consider this one a 3 out of 5 game – which in my mind tend to constitute two types of games: those that I think are “fine” but I probably won’t play again, and those that I think are “good” and I’d probably want to play again one day – but there are enough flaws that keep it out of the “great” 4/5 tier. This Goemon game falls in the “it’s fine” 3/5 camp for me, a decent romp worth your time if you love old-school platformers and beat-em-ups and want something a little different.

One franchise of games that comes to mind for comparison actually is Yakuza:

• beat-em-up gameplay, get money from enemies for upgrades and items
  • lots of mini-game diversions
  • comedic moments, and unexpected nonsense

(Of course, Goemon is pretty much 100% lighthearted parody, but still.)

Things I liked in this game:

• Variety in gameplay keeps things interesting
  • It’s pretty funny (not so much “laugh out loud” hilarious, but there’s a charm to it)
  • Game looks great and sounds nice – particularly impressive for being a first-year game on the Super Famicom / SNES
  • The wacky samurai era setting + all its Looney Tunes-esque anachronisms is unique and entertaining
  • I like the characters
  • You can play two-players

Things I didn’t like as much in this game:

• Though the variety is nice, I’d say the beat-em-up gameplay is just all right, and the platforming segments are just okay. The mini-games meanwhile are just mediocre. (Well, except for Gradius lol.)
  • Felt they could have pushed the comedy more, honestly. Maybe later games do?
  • Losing your weapon upgrades every time you get hit really sucks. I get it, old games are tough. But I kept finding this particular aspect of the game very frustrating.
  • Two-player mode, while appreciated as an option, is honestly a lot more difficult than playing on your own.
  • This didn’t matter for me since I used save states, but the game’s password system is hilariously ridiculous. Have fun writing a small essay with your SNES controller for some of those passwords!
2 Likes

Meteos Final Thoughts

Somewhat repeating my final thoughts for Ganbare Goemon here… this game is fine, a perfectly all right 3 out of 5. If you have a DS and love falling block puzzle games, I do recommend picking up Meteos. It definitely makes good use of the stylus at the very least, and works well enough as an engaging way to kill a few minutes sitting in the dentist waiting room or what have you.

That said, this isn’t a game that I’d say can contend with the likes of Tetris or Puyo Puyo, or other favorites of mine (Columns, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Panel de Pon). I’d even put Tetsuya Mizuguchi’s other puzzle game, Lumines, slightly above Meteos. (At the very least, I’d say Lumines is the more stylish and addicting of the two.)

Things I liked in this game:

• Simple to learn
  • Easy to just pick up and start playing at a moment’s notice
  • Rounds usually don’t last too long, so a quick go at Meteos usually won’t overstay its welcome
  • A decent number of modes to mess around with, and a decent number of options to fiddle with

Things I didn’t like as much in this game:

• Eh… it’s just all right? I played it off and on pretty regularly throughout the month, but I never got hooked on it
  • As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the theming for some levels is pretty bad – obnoxious sound effects, and block-graphics that are too dizzying, disorienting, or just plain messy (fortunately for most modes you can just pick the level theming you do want)
  • Game could’ve used a little more personality, maybe? I get that’s not a big priority for this sort of game, but presentation can still go a long way
2 Likes

As a reminder, here are the two games we’ll discuss for next month… and I’ll go ahead and announce the following month’s games too.

dec 2020 games

December 2020:

• Monster World IV (Sega Mega Drive – 1994 – action-adventure – 8 hours)
  • Power Strike II (Sega Master System – 1993 – shoot-em-up – 1 hour)

jan 2021 games

January 2021:

• Trace Memory (Nintendo DS – 2005 – point-and-click adventure – 5 hours)
  • Sin and Punishment (Nintendo 64 – 2000 – rail shooter – 2 hours)
6 Likes

For December 2020, the retro games of the month shall be:

• Monster World IV – 1994 – action-adventure
  • Power Strike II – 1993 – shoot-em-up

monster world 4 gotm

Wonder Boy… Monster World… Adventure Island? This is definitely one of the most confusing series of video games when it comes to how any of the games are titled. There was an arcade game called Wonder Boy released in 1986, developed by Westone and published by Sega. A sort of 2D platformer meets horizontally-scrolling shoot-em-up. Westone would make five more games with this IP, some of which went the more traditional 2D platformer route–but with some RPG elements thrown in and a more “open world” for the level design. These constituted the “Monster World” sub-series of Wonder Boy games, but it was kind of more the main series of Wonder Boy games by the time the fourth Monster World entry released for the Sega Mega Drive in Japan. This particular entry dropped the “Wonder Boy” part of the title because the protagonist is a girl named Asha.

Monster World IV was the last game in the series made by Westone, and the last one to be published by Sega. It was a 1994 release for the Sega Mega Drive (AKA Sega Genesis), and didn’t make it over to any other regions… At least, not until 2012, when it was officially translated by M2 into English for the Wii (via Virtual Console) and for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (via a compilation that included a couple other Wonder Boy/Monster World games). Monster World IV also made it onto the Sega Genesis Mini (and Mega Drive Mini) last year. And this year, a remake of the game with 3D graphics was announced by developer Artdink, probably to release next year for Steam, Playstation 4, and Switch.

Monster World IV stands out in a number of ways. Instead of the more typical medieval Europe setting, this one goes for more of an Arabian-style land. (And when paired with its girl protagonist, it all feels like a bit of a precursor to the Shantae series of 2D platformers.) Compared to the previous Monster World games, this one is a bit less exploration-heavy and has less emphasis on the RPG elements, instead focusing more on the actual platforming and action-based gameplay. The game also stands out for its fun and colorful graphics, and is considered by many to be one of the best-looking games on the Mega Drive system.

So this month, it will be up to you all to find out for yourselves if Monster World IV deserves to be considered one of the top games of its genre and era. Most everyone outside of Japan missed out on it back in the day, but in more recent years it has made a big comeback–along with the rest of the Wonder Boy series just in general. Howlongtobeat dot com says this one will take 7-8 hours to beat, though I see Youtube playthroughs clock under 5 hours.

power strike 2 gotm

So the theme for this month’s games might very well be region-limited entries for confusingly-named game series… and published by Sega… and the series at large is making something of a comeback. In 1988, developer Compile released a vertical shoot-em-up titled Aleste in Japan for the Sega Mark III (AKA the Sega Master System). (This game was actually a sequel to a shooter titled Zanac.) A revised version of Aleste was released for the West, renamed as Power Strike. Aleste would go on to get a bunch of sequels.

But at one point, Compile decided to make a shooter specifically for PAL territories (namely Europe and Brazil etc, where the Master System was still a big deal in 1993) and titled it Power Strike II. This game is not a port of Aleste 2 (which was on a Japanese PC called MSX2). It is also not a port of the Power Strike II game released on the Sega Game Gear (which was also made by Compile in 1993… that one was just a localization of GG Aleste II… which is also not the same as Aleste 2).

So be careful which Power Strike II you’re playing! We’ll be discussing the Master System game. That home console is one that didn’t really make a splash in some regions (e.g. it was only the NES that most people knew about in the USA), but it had some great games which had a look and sound to them that differ somewhat from the Nintendo Entertainment System’s offerings at the time. The Power Strike games are considered some of the best shoot-em-ups for the Master System, and I think it will be interesting to look back at how well Compile managed to make the fast-paced and frantic gameplay of the genre work on 8-bit hardware.

This particular entry, I should note, doesn’t take place in outer space like most of the other Aleste and Aleste-related titles. (And indeed, like most other shoot-em-ups at the time in general.) Power Strike II takes place specifically during the Great Depression, down here on Earth! And yet all these vigilantes have such advanced and futuristic air vehicles…

The other interesting thing I’ll note is that the game is getting re-released! M2 (there they are again) is porting it along with three other Aleste games from the Master System and Game Gear in a collection for the PS4 and the Switch. These will also be on the special-edition white Game Gear Micro that Sega is releasing in Japan! And also M2 made a new title called GG Aleste 3 specifically for that collection (and the Game Gear Micro)… I might be the only one here who finds all this cool though.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on either (or both) of these games as you play them over the course of December. If you finish, you can give a mini-review if you’d like. Let us know if you think these games stand the test of time!

2 Likes

Monster World IV First Impressions

I’ve played through the tower of silence and the capital city, and am currently working through the earth shrine lava mountain.

• A pleasant game! Easy to jump right into and get the hang of. Controls are solid.
  • The art style for this is very cute, much like the other Wonder Boy / Monster World games. I don’t know if I’d say the game looks amazing – but it does have a fun cartoon look to it. Animation feels simple, but expressive. Very bright and colorful.
  • The way Asha does a shimmy each time she opens a treasure chest is great.
  • You get a Kirby-looking pet friend! And you use it to double-jump… Reminds me a lot of Klonoa, actually. Will be curious to see all the ways this little guy will be utilized in the platforming.
3 Likes

It has been a hot minute since I joined in on the club. I think I will play a bit of catchup with Sin and Punishment, along with the latest titles in December. Pretty excited as it’s always fun to play and experience a game that I know next to nothing about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will play a bit of catchup with Sin and Punishment

No rush for that one, that will be a January retro game club game!

Especially nice when the game turns out to be a good one, right? I’m hoping Monster World IV stays good throughout my whole playthrough; it might become a Genesis favorite for me if so.

2 Likes

New around here, but this kind of retro club seems really neat, I’ll probably give this a try this month! Started Power Strike II (my first master system game period, actually) and this is pretty neat! Very impressed with the presentation, especially compared to the Compile shooter I had played previously, Gun Nac. This game, while not as insanely creative as gun nac, manages to be far more colorful and everything just pops out of the background far easier in my opinion. Excellent soundtrack too!

Gameplay-wise though, can’t say this one blows me away though. It’s a pretty standard shooter fare, and while the presentation is lovely, the levels just drag on for what feels like an eternity with few new ideas in each one, which kinda kills it for me. Also the mechanics just feel very inconsistent to me. In my opinion the best shmups depend on having total control over dodging bullets, but this game’s hitboxes just feel a little off to me. Plus the intense sprite flickering issue that pops up sometimes can make that very difficult, especially when it’s not clear if your shield will cover you for that specific shot.

All in all, a pretty solid game, but I prefer faster paced, more modern shmups like doujinsoft games or cave releases. Think I’ll try Monster World IV tomorrow, I’ve heard really great things about this one, I’m pretty excited to try it! Always was curious about the wonder boy games, and this’ll be my first one I’ve tried (not counting adventure island but that’s a whole other can of worms).

4 Likes