How to request games to be added to database?

Hello again. A quick request for three more titles for the database:

Pinstripe
DARQ
AER

HI there :slight_smile: Looking to add this game:
NotGTAV

This has been added:

Done. Find them here:

https://www.grouvee.com/games/49593-pinstripe/

https://www.grouvee.com/games/49595-aer/

1 Like

Perhaps this is a good time to revive something I asked about a long time ago, since some people have full editing capabilities now. A while back I noted that some fundamentally different games are lumped together (because Giant Bomb has this error) as one. I actually asked the dude who runs Giant Bomb about it, and he conceded that ideally they would be separate, but fixing it wasn’t a current priority. Can anything be done about that on the Grouvee end, now? This frequently occurs when a game has a handheld release and a home console release with the same title but developed as mechanically distinct games. For example, the Sonic the Hedgehog page currently conflates the 8-bit game (Game Gear, Master System) with the 16-bit game (Genesis, etc), despite them being entirely different games. I gave other examples here in the past. Depending on how you’ve set up the tools for the “editor” people, this may or may not be easy to fix. Goodreads Librarians, for example, have a simple “separate” tool on book edition pages.

Also, what is the policy about notability for inclusion? I’d personally love to see smaller experimental games (e.g., Joy Exhibition) that have no commercial presence but may be critically notable.

1 Like

I definitely agree that games like your example belong as distinct games in the database. At the moment, there are no special tools to split something like that. We would have to manually create the second entry and then figure out how to re-point any users to the correct entry in the library. We’ll have to think about a solution that would help to do that.

As far as inclusion of games go, I personally think that as long as it is a game and someone wants to have it in their library, then it belongs in the database. Obviously we can’t go searching down every game, but if a user requests it, I won’t turn down entering one. The hard part comes in finding all the information to properly fill the entry with. That gets tricky.

Added:

I imagine that Goodreads is able to do it because in the underlying database people add editions to their shelves rather than books - the editions are just associated with a given book. In the absence of true edition tracking in Grouvee, the platform flag is also somewhat analogous (though probably fails in some cases). Upon splitting of a page, users could be distributed the two child pages based on selected platforms, however this is problematic because platform selection is presently not mandatory, so I don’t know how many people actually select platforms.

A temporary way to facilitate splitting could be to create a new page for one of the games as you mentioned, and leave all users on the original page. In update emails (like the “New games from Steam added to Grouvee!” ones I get when I buy a Steam game) users could be notified that one of their games has been split, and that they should double check that they are associated with the one(s) they want. But this still has the problem of not directly migrating reviews, comments, updates, and discussions, and thus kinda breaks the social features. However, this problem only gets worse the longer one waits to address it.

Thank you very much.
I also found two other games that are missing one of the platforms, and two complete missing from the database.
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary does not list Gameboy Advance as a platform.
Disney’s Hercules Action Game does not list Gameboy as a platform.
Phil Of The Future (based on the Disney Show by the same title) is nonexistent in the database. (Gameboy Advance)
The Little Mermaid; Magic In Two Kingdoms is nonexistent in the database. (Gameboy Advance)

Those are the only games I have unaccounted for now out of 300.
Thank you thank you thank you!

I like all of these ideas. The DLC thing is hard because giant bomb doesn’t expose that data in their api, but we might have enough people that care about the data to take it on ourselves.
There actually is release/edition data in the system, it’s just not exposed anywhere on the site. I’m formulating how I want to handle people adding these to their shelves. I hate the goodreads switch edition thing because it gets real confusing. I think the parent game with check boxes for the editions or something is probably the best system.

2 Likes

The Goodreads system has some advantages. It allows, for example, different ratings and discussions of different editions (this can matter a lot for foreign literature in translation). Similar things could potentially matter for games, especially between platforms. You’re right that it can get a bit confusing, though.

1 Like

I added the platforms for the two you requested. And the new games can be found here:

Could you please add “Path to Luma”? Thank you.

Hello,
Heatseeker is listed as a Wii-only game, but it was released on PS2 and PSP as well.

The other two platforms have been added.

Added:

1 Like

Sweet, thanks! Much appreciated.

1 Like

The platform has been added. Most of the PS2 games on PS4 were already there, but I went through the entire known list and added the ones that were missing.

Could you please add Fingerbones and A Wolf in Autumn? Also, another game, The Music Machine, by the same developer (David Szymanski) is missing the developer info.

I have updated the info on The Music Machine and added the other two:

https://www.grouvee.com/games/49639-fingerbones/

https://www.grouvee.com/games/49640-a-wolf-in-autumn/

@8bithero The Path to Luma looks very interesting. Thanks for posting it, I just grabbed it from the App store as a result.

1 Like