Grouvee Food: Brews

Straight although I’d recommend a spiced cider to get a greater depth of flavor. I’m sure there is an enjoyable drink in apple juice with whiskey, but it feels a bit like a boozy version of a child’s drink haha

1 Like

Is there any other kind of straight cider?

This is all I know about cider

2 Likes

In Canada the whole thing is flip flopped? I’d love to know what that means because our definition of cider versus juice is the same.

1 Like

A friend gave us a bottle of cointreau (orange-ish triple-sec) and it’s amazingly good. With apple juice might be a bit too sweet but I added a little bit of fernet (which you can replace with angostura bitter) and it really helps to stifle the sweetness a tad. But even on its own with ice is pretty good.

3 Likes

Please share with me your best Bloody Mary, pickle-related, and adjacent drinks!

2 Likes

Step one, ditch your Bloody Mary and drink a Bloody Caesar instead, you’ll thank me later :smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m sure it is tasty, but nothing quite dries my palate like “clam broth”

1 Like

Was ist das? aaaaaaa

1 Like

Have you tried it? I’m very understanding of people’s food dislikes, but I’m also firm on trying something before passing on it.

I find Bloody Mary’s boring because they have no punch. Clamato gives it the much needed punch. Like anchovies in Caesar Salad, the Clamato ads body and depth without actually tasting like you’re drinking seafood.

1 Like

Did a Rum Manhattan last night. Manhattans are another drink that seem complicated until you make them and realize how simple they are. For the Rum Manhattan I did

2oz Rum
1oz Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes bitters (I use Trader Joe’s Classic Bitters which are a budget conscious Angostura)
Shaken with ice

2 Likes

BMO, I’ll come visit one day and if you want I’ll try one and give you my honest thoughts. While I haven’t had Clamato, I don’t enjoy slurping clams. I’m not much of a Bloody Mary person to begin with. Last time I had one was a year+ ago when I was at a bar whose specialty was Bloody Marys (IDK how I’m supposed to pluralize Mary) and even there my response was that it was fine.

1 Like

I spent at least half my life thinking a Bloody Ceasar wasn’t going to be anything special. And it’s not as if it’s even a go-to drink for me. But it’s still surprised me when I finally had one, and every once in a while it hits the spot. I know clam water sounds weird, but I promise it’s not half as weird as whatever your mind dreams up before you try one. And yeah, Bloody Marys are, at best, fine. They are tomato juice and vodka. That can never be anything more than “fine”.

Believe me you don’t have to try one, I doubt having one is really that life changing.

1 Like

I LOVE Bloody Marys. I try to complicate them in fun ways.

I also like the broth they serve at clam bakes, but can’t imagine pouring a plastic bottle of clam juice into a cocktail.

Clamato juice is a careful balance. It mostly still tastes like tomato but it’s not quite as thick and a bit saltier, slightly more savoury. I think it works very well with the other ingredients. If you’re a fan of a good Bloody Mary I suggest you try a Caesar some time, you might like it.

If you ever come to Indianapolis I’ll take you to this place and buy you a bloody mary. Tick Tock Tavern: Staff Best Things pick for best bloody mary meal

1 Like

I have to admit, that does look fun.

1 Like

Obviously I’d buy you one too :slight_smile:

That place is famous for those. They’re also a very regular customer. Good people.

2 Likes

White Russian

Another real easy drink.

5 pt vodka
2 pt kalua
3 pt heavy cream shaken

Mix the vodka and Kahlua (I did this over ice, but you can do it chilled). Shake the heavy cream and rest on top.

There is such a niceness to learning all these drinks and making them at ease at home. If you don’t have an alcohol problem, setting up a little liquor cabinet in your home makes home bartending so easy. Every drink you make at home costs like a dollar compared to the $10+ at a bar. And outside of the booze, there is very little to spend on. A shaker costs less than ten bucks.

My white Russian I personalized by adding probably a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the heavy cream before shaking. It’s nice, but definitely not necessary.

3 Likes

This is key. A white Russian always tastes best after you’ve thoroughly shamed the cream. Bring up its past mistakes, its worst and most embarrassing moments. Make sure it knows that it completely and utterly worthless.

6 Likes